Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #94764 02/15/11 12:44 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    So I finally got my copy of the IAS. I read it and answered the questions for my dd6. I got a score of 48, but that is b/c I only had a 6/22 in the academic ability category(b/c she has only had one test done so I gave her a zero for the rest of the testing categories). So she comes as a good candidate for grade acceleration even with all the zeros. I also gave her a couple of scores lower in some areas just b/c I would rather underestimate some of her social skills as I am not there in school and can only judge what I see at home and in extracurricular.

So my question is how should I give the school this information at our meeting on Thursday? The coordinator already told me they have the IAS, but only use it as a measure for their gifted program. She also is more interested in using a better enrichment plan than is already in place and has made it clear the board will be against a grade skip(though the principal has stated to me based on observations and the MAP testing, she feels dd is a good candidate for the grade skip). I have mentioned in the past that I am skeptical to how they can effectivley enrich my dd6. Without a team in place similar to what is used in an IEP program (and since there is no funding I know this won't happen) I can only really see her getting pretty much more of the same. Her alone in a corner working on worksheets or being board with the regular curriculum, with the occasional modified worksheet or classroom center. Even if they can up what I can figure is 1hr a week of enrichment to 2hrs(and these are very generous numbers she probably really gets half of that), she will still spend 28 hours(minus specials and lunch) in class a week doing what she already knows.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

B
    B
    I am not sure how they use the IAS a measure for their gifted program as really it only makes recommendations as to whether or not a child makes a good candidate for a whole grade acceleration or if not, what other accomodations, such as enrichment, subject accel. etc. should be made. I strongly urge you to highlight the key points in the IAS and make sure they are using it the correct way. They certainly can't rule out a grade accel. and you should urge them to use the manual for its intended purpose. It would eliminate any false ideas about acceleration etc. We used it to advocate for our DC's whole grade skip and it was a very useful tool. We went straight to the principal and presented a portfolio, research backed info. supporting acceleration (be sure to reference the acceleration institute website for valuable information that may help back your cause). I am certain that if we went to the GT and the teacher, they would have used a personal biased of the negative effects of acceleration and the fact that it had never been done at the school and most likely wouldn't to deter us, but to our surprise, there is a first time for everything!

Be well prepared and tell them all you know on what you'd like to see done to accomodate DD. I find that taking the guess work out of it for the school can move mountains but going in saying, what can we do tends to get pushed to the back burner.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    So I have several articles supporting not only whole grade acceleration, but subject acceleration(b/c I would be open to this as well). I also have samples of schools who have guidelines in place and use both subject/grade acceleration to give them examples of schools that see benefits for students using these methods. Is this appropriate to copy and give copies of these at the meeting? I also have a portfolio with work, test scores done through CTD and a recomendation from her enrichment teacher for that program. This is our second meeting so I feel as if it is now or never for what gets done for next year so I want a lot of information at my disposal to hand over to them.

B
    B
    Yes, that is exactly what we did. What I would suggest is making a copy of the portfolio to leave with them as well, so that whatever they miss at the meeting, they can look at afterwards. Basically, we stated what we wanted, how we thought we could go about it and how we could address any issues (for example a possible concern on their part about knowledge gaps, we suggested being given the summer work that the kids going into the receiving grade would be given so that we were in the same place as them when the year started etc.) I would also be ready to respond with ways to debunk their myths on why an acceleration wouldn't be in the best interest of your child. One perfect example is they may say, well, if we allow your child to be accelerated, then we will have hundreds of people lined up asking for the same for their child. Response, actually, research proves that is not the case. No parent is going to come to you and ask for harder work if their child is sufficiently challenged. If the child can meet the requirements for an acceleration based on teh recommendation of the IAS, that that is a good problem for you to have!

B
    B
    Also, if you haven't already, look at your state board of ed website for laws pertaining to acceleration and see if there is a policy that you aren't aware of. In our case, we are in a private school, so the laws don't neccessarily apply, but we still quoted them and used them to advocate our position.

LOTL - It sounds to me like you are quite prepared.
    Don't think that this is the last meeting - I would expect it to take a few more. Be ready to listen to how they use the IAS, and come back next time with your perspective.

In the end, you want her in a classroom that is teaching other kids with similar readiness being taught with materials that support her to learn at her current readiness level. The MAP scores are perfect for nailing that down. Ask to see distributions of MAP scores in older classroom (no names of course) - your goal is to get her in the top 10% so she can develop good work ethic and a enjoyment of healthy competition. Other children are a requirement for those two things.

You may or may not get what you are hoping for. Ask for 2x as much as you want, and you'll be able to meet in the middle and part friends.

If it doesn't work, it isn't your fault. Take notes, ask lots of clarifying question, bring someone if you can. Dress up. Bring donuts or cookies.

Hugs,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I think you should bring the IAS manual and a blank form or the form that you filled out. I suspect that the school doesn't really know what it is, based on the comments you have given here and in another thread. My son's 1st school didn't know what it was, but were surprisingly receptive when I brought in a copy for them to look at (and it helped convince the school to offer a grade skip).

It sounds like you are well prepared! I agree with Grinity about finding placement for her based on kids who are scoring similarly. Good luck!

If there is time you may consider getting the materials to the school ahead of time. If there is a lot to read, it is helpful for them to have a chance to do so before you walk in the door. That way they are not trying to read the results and listen to you at the same time. When we did this, the principal and counselor thanked us-- twice.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    I only got the IAS manual so it doesn't have any blank forms in it. We just filled the answers to the questions along side the sample ones to get our score, plus we only have the group administered achievement test done(if I am understanding it right that is the category the map test falls into, correct?). She hasn't had any of the individually administered achievement tests done b/c the school says she to young to do them and to pay out of pocket isn't possible at this time(I'm not sure they'd take them anyway if they aren't done in the school). She did have two tests done through CTD gifted program, but don't see them listed in the manual so don't think they count as anything.

I agree with Grinity that this probably isn't the last meeting, but I feel like it is now or never on pushing our fact based information on subject/grade acceleration now before it becomes too late. I do know that the super is involved in the final decision, but I would like to know sooner rather than later. My dd does activities that I would like to enroll her into for the summer with the kids who will be entering 2nd like her if this is what we are doing so that she can reconnect with some of the kids she hasn't seen for a year.

Originally Posted by landofthelost
    I only got the IAS manual so it doesn't have any blank forms in it.
    We did like you did. We even made a copy of an example in the book, and whiteout'ed the other kid's scores, and then make another copy so that it would be less confusing to look at for the school. I think the publisher will send you a courtesy blank copy if you call them. The principle of the school and the vice-superintendent were up for hours the night before our big "On NO you DON'T" meeting filling out the form, and the Princ acknowledged that he was an excellent candidate, but they just couldn't bring them selves to do what seemed so counter to their observed experience. Sigh. That's when I started to understand that for most Adults, research findings don't mean squat next to personal belief. They weren't even willing to try subject acceleration.

We ended up going to a local private school 'college prep' style, who gave him the skip within 4 weeks of knowing him. I think it's easier for more intelligent people to see intelligence, especially when it come with other child-like attributes such as disorganization and lack of emotional self regulation. And it certianly was true that by the time our son reached high school age, his ADD was enough to make being 'truely stellar' by public high school standards plus the grade skip was a big struggle. But that doesn't change that for the early years a gradeskip was completely nescessary. DS14 did 9th grade twice, once at the public high school and now at his private boarding school. Last year he did seem 'immature' by public high school standards, and the fact that he was miles ahead in 'class discussion' was totally besides the point when it came to grade-time. This year is amazing: He has the organizational skills in place, the maturity to use them, the smarts he was born with, and peer and mentors who expect the homework to be handed in, but live for the class discussion time. Plus friends, plus the independence he was yearning for. DS14 was looking forward to being normal-aged for a change .... but guess what? It's 'traditional' for lots of boys who switch from public school to private school for high school to do 9th grade again, so he's still fairly young. I feel very blessed at the moment. It seems amazing to me that I could have worked so hard for so little back when DS was in elementary school, and now, with much less effort, things are falling into place. Just luck I think. Whew!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help