Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Nina: Now THERE'S the rub. I have nightmares over that particular question. I hope so. DH can't quite comprehend why I get annoyed when there's an envlope on the dinner table, between the carefully chosen serving bowls. So that's a good sign, right? smile Sometimes I wish I were one of those people who puts out an incredible stream of work under the most trying of circumstances. I'm not quite that. The comment was really just an appeal-to-authority anyway, so it's not much worth listening to wink

Chenchuan: No joke there. I hear belladonna works too, but I'm not really planning to try it wink

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    P
    P
    It is not unusual, but actually normal for a gifted artist to go through periods when little or no work in completed. Usually either the artist will work on the same type of material over and over or sometimes not create anything at all. I do this a lot myself. But the difference is that while it may look like I am someone who does not care about art anymore or who has lost interest, every time I go back to painting and drawing I am "better" technically and more intense. Usually during my down time as an artist I go through a cycle of trying to forget what I know, observation, watching fashion and what is going on around me, and eventually I start getting into it all again.

Some of my daughter work is on a school website. When I looked at it I noticed that while her fellow Kindergarten classmates seem highly creative and expressive...by 4th grade just about every drawing looks like the same person could have made it. It is very hard for a creative "artsy" person to maintain their unique views as an adult, much less a child. The only way I stayed creative through school and into adulthood was by being around other young gifted artist, going to art museums and shows, and reading about and looking at art. I was also given a great amount of freedom with the materials I used. I do the same with my daughter during her "down" times with art. I let her look at books about famous artist, look at my sketchbooks, and give her anything from cardboard to conte to create what she wants. Most importantly, if she doesn't want to draw or wants to draw the same crying fairy princess over and over I don't say a word....eventually she goes back to drawing her way and each time I can see how she has evolved.

R
    R
    If she's an artist and has something to say then the art will out!

Q
    Q
    Interesting question. I think that at her age, it is too early to tell which it is unless her drawing ability is already high compared to the average adult. I do recall drawing extremely well as a three-year-old. However, by age 4, when I started first grade, much of the energy/focus had shifted away from drawing even though that "advanced drawing ability" remained obvious for a number of years. I think that passion is a better measure. When I look at DD7, I see her advanced skills as more a function of artistic ability rather than general high intelligence mainly because art appears to be her default outlet. For example, when she is angry at me, she will draw elaborate pictures demonstrating why she is angry even though it would be quicker for her to write a note as she is articulate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM