Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32
    F
    F
    good luck!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    [When I picked up DS's stuff after school, his teacher said that there were quite a few tears when the kids found out that DS was leaving. He said he's been teaching quite a while, and had kids leave before, but this was the first time he's seen the classmates crying over it.

Oh SPG - bittersweet, but I hope things are going well!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    [When I picked up DS's stuff after school, his teacher said that there were quite a few tears when the kids found out that DS was leaving. He said he's been teaching quite a while, and had kids leave before, but this was the first time he's seen the classmates crying over it.

Oh SPG - bittersweet, but I hope things are going well!

DS7 himself wasn't too torn up about it! I finally got him to write a thank you to the pretty little girl who gave him a special gift and "I hope you don't forget me" note. smile

Things are going well at the new school. The teacher is doing all these great things to make it fun, and because they work faster, they have time to do some fun extra units. DS does say it's hard sometimes, and he liked it when it was easy, but his parents are quite happy! I've noticed a couple of things that I can now blame on lack of challenge. For instance, DS has never been the best speller in the world, up to now, but now that he's got more challenging words he's doing much better. Also, he has gotten excited about reading (maybe it's the fact that he's captive during our long car ride). He's devouring the Simon Basher science series.

And I don't know if you remember the beef we had with the old school, where he was supposed to start in 3rd grade math at the beginning of the year, but they had him basically re-do the same 2nd grade math he had done the year before. They said he wasn't passing the pretests. Well, he was dropped right in the middle of 3rd grade math at the new school (same curriculum) and has been perfectly comfortable with it, even though he missed the first half of the year. So it makes me a little irritated with the old school, but I know they meant well so I'll try not to be.

JJsmom - any news?

Well, he was dropped right in the middle of 3rd grade math at the new school (same curriculum) and has been perfectly comfortable with it, even though he missed the first half of the year. So it makes me a little irritated with the old school, but I know they meant well so I'll try not to be.

JJsmom - any news?

SPG - I do remember. It's hard not to be irritated, but, I'll do a few deep breaths in the directions of 'healing vision' for your old school. People can see just so far ahead of what they know and understand, and no more, at least in the moment.

JJsmom - good luck.
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    JJs Mom,

Woke up today and thought about you and your son. I'm hoping "no news" isn't "bad news." Perhaps you were off celebrating and did not have time to update your 1st/2nd Grade amigos (hoping)?

Sending good thoughts your way.

Irish Eyes

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    No news = I was sick for the past two days (and even today) and completely away from the computer! wink

Oh, and of course,

THEY GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They went from 6th - K (one of the few elementary schools in the area to offer 6th grade - here it's in middle school generally). If DS7 got in, DD5 would automatically get a spot. If DS did not get in, but DD did, DS would be bumped up on the waiting list. So thankfully they did it backwards because K had 101 spots (5 classes). 3rd had 19 spots & 8 waiting list spots... DS7 was 15/19!!! And let me tell you, everyone going into 3rd has a name that begins with J... it was KILLING ME!!! LOL.

Because DS7 was called, DD5 was in (she was like 5th), but her name was also called within the 101 spots, so she would've gotten in anyway.

PHEW.

M
    M
    Congrats JJsMom!

I
    I
    Wonderful news, JJsMom! I hope the new school turns out to be a great fit for both kids!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I hope so too. I will know that having a permanent place will help them (we moved last year, and we will be moving again this year. Same county, different school district). This way they will always be able to attend this school, regardless of where we live in the county.

Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM