Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    DS7 is reading two years above his grade level, doing two digit multiplication, and is starting on division. Problem is, he still frequently makes letters and numbers backwards! Every once in a while he writes something, then gives me a look as if he's checking to see if I'll notice. It doesn't happen all the time, and I could be misinterpreting his expressions - so I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or not. Then he gets REALLY upset when I tell him to fix it. So many questions on this one....is it normal to be so far ahead in almost everything, but still make backwards letters? Should I be worried about dyslexia or anything? And do I sound totally insane for thinking that he may be doing it on purpose, at least part of the time?

R
    R
    I can't speak to the dyslexia issue, but one of my DDs was making letters backwards on purpose in Kindergarten. When I caught her was when she wrote her name backwards (almost perfectly) -- in mirror image. Why? Just to see if she could.

My DS7 (who also reads several years above grade level) does this with some letters. A couple different 2nd grade teachers said this is still fairly common in second-graders, and they weren't concerned. Since DS7 is sort of perfectionist, we try not to make a big deal out of it, but we do point it out.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 02/07/11 01:22 PM.
    Originally Posted by treecritter
    Every once in a while he writes something, then gives me a look as if he's checking to see if I'll notice.

This makes me think that he recognizes that it's wrong. I wouldn't worry about. I think it's really a developmental thing, which should iron itself out with practice.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years