Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    jack'smom #94343 02/08/11 12:03 PM
    F
    F
    I would have said my DS3 is not gifted. He just didn't seem to be. DD5 gifted teacher said to me the other day that she'd be seeing him in a few years. Apparently DD has been telling her things about him. He's starting to "read" words and does addition problems. This is very normal or actually compared to DD below normal and has an extensive vocabulary. At 3 she could write her name, she could add and subtract, and was reading books. So we figured that what he was doing all other 3 year olds were doing. Apparently I was very wrong. Watching him more closely we're starting to see giftedness.

jack'smom #94344 02/08/11 12:31 PM
    L
    L
    Thanks so much aculady smile

My gifted kid was identified after his kindergarten teacher "suffered" for 3 months trying to deal with his behavior. She requested my permission to have him tested.

I think it's possible my other kids may be leaning towards gifted but I'm not sure how to go about getting them tested. The school they are at now has to see a need before they will conduct testing and I just don't know.

Originally Posted by LotsOtots5
    I think it's possible my other kids may be leaning towards gifted but I'm not sure how to go about getting them tested. The school they are at now has to see a need before they will conduct testing and I just don't know.
    How old/what grade are your 5?
    Are the younger ones doing well in school or is there a 'boredom problem?'
    Is there a gifted program, and if so, what grade does testing happen for that?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #94348 02/08/11 01:04 PM
    You can also check out this website: http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/ and compare milestones. It's not a perfect way to find out but might help to get an idea.

jack'smom #94350 02/08/11 01:36 PM
    L
    L
    The one I am most concerned with (aside from the unmotivated 10 yr old) is my 5 yr old. He frequently says he hates school and cries sometimes. When I ask him why, he says it's because "It's too long". He doesn't really seem academically advanced (I say this of my 10 yr old too though) but he just learned to read very recently and has progressed quickly and can spell out fairly difficult words for a 5 yr old who couldn't read 2 months ago. Gifted education starts here in 3rd grade so they won't test until 2nd grade. The thing is that he has a vastly different personality than my older gifted kid.

Originally Posted by LotsOtots5
    The one I am most concerned with (aside from the unmotivated 10 yr old) is my 5 yr old. He frequently says he hates school and cries sometimes. When I ask him why, he says it's because "It's too long".
    Then start with the 5 year old. Have a meeting with the teacher and let him/her know that your 5 year old is crying about school and saying he hates it. Tell the teacher that you are worried about his social and emotional development - it isn't normal for a 5 year old to hate school and you KNOW that your 5 year old really loves teacher, so what is going on? Then hand her a written, on paper, letter requesting the school to look into this matter, including IQ testing.

It may not work, but it may. The other alternative is private testing, if $s aren't a big issue.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    jack'smom #94388 02/09/11 08:29 AM
    P
    P
    LotsOtots5,

My DD9 got 134 and my DD6 got 142 when they were tested at 5. DD9 is shy and would do all she can not to draw attention from others whereas DD6 craves it. DD9 is getting good grade at 4th grade but not above grade level but DD6 is in 2nd grade and she got CTY Honor for 2nd grade (above 4th grade Math and reading).

DD9 is coming around. We were happy with her being in TAG cluster class and did not challenge/supplement her and she was happy with where she was at. With her little sister right behind her, she is now ready to move ahead again.

Yes, personality may mask the giftedness. My DD6 is bossier than DD9 (in class as well) and the birth order does not really matters in our family.

jack'smom #94393 02/09/11 09:34 AM
    S
    S
    This has always been interesting to me as well. DS6 is a PG child. He did everything early and is constantly seeking more and more information and learning. Before he could walk he would crawl to pick out his favorite books off shelves and LOVED books. He was matching things before he could walk and would carry around things in pairs as he crawled...and was reading before 2.

DD3 is so incredibly different, but such an amazing little girl. She too enjoys reading a lot, but not as much as DS. She is quite creative, imaginative, and very expressive in every way. She is dramatic and very verbal. She picks up on things quickly, and wants to do really well at things. She knows all her letters and the sounds they make. She knows some numbers and can count objects and group them all. She knows her shapes (and definitely colors as she has to match her outfits). She draws pretty cool pictures, but she is not all that interested in letters and words and reading. She is much more into dress-up, princesses, telling elaborate stories, making things, drawing, and loves to watch TV. They play wonderfully together most of the time, but are oh so different. I imagine we will have her tested sometime, but am not in as much of a hurry since I don't think we will be requesting the K skip like we did with DS. DD goes to a preschool for 3yo's for 4 hrs a week and she doesn't seem to like it much. She likes it after she goes, but not when she is on her way. She does seem to have some friends there and she is quite outgoing (after her initial watching people being shy phase). I am wondering if she is just not connecting with the other kids as she does seem to prefer older girls to play with. She keeps wanting to go to her brothers school with him. Anyhow, it is just hard to believe how different they are....but I find it fascinating watching them each teach eachother things. She teaches him more social skills and he teaches her academic things smile

jack'smom #94631 02/12/11 03:53 PM
    My 2 cents: dd14 & ds8 are both pretty "classic" cases of gifted kiddos. I could go down the checklists & check off 2/3 to 3/4 of the traits for each of them. Besides, I could tell since I was a gifted child. It was like some kind of radar.
    BUT...my dd11 doesn't exhibit gifted behaviors. I knew she was smart, but she didn't seem like my other two. But we are finding out that she may have some sort of learning problems that are neurological in nature. She had an IQ test a couple of months ago & as it turns out, all three of their IQs measure within 5 points of one another. Go figure.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    jack'smom #94634 02/12/11 06:08 PM
    A
    A
    fraternal twins both with WISC IV scores of matching 138's (different subset scores though!)
    prior to testing I would have guessed I had one with a 125-130 and one 135-140 (DH and I are both 135-140ish)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM