Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    We're doing it again this year, with Unidentified Moving Objects.

Last year the school funded it, for 5 teams chosen from the gifted kids, as an experiment. This year they opened it up for all kids who wanted in, and DH did some fundraising for them. They got nearly $2k in donations, enough to pay for 7 or 8 teams.

This is a really difficult challenge for elementary kids, so I have a feeling we won't have to worry about raising money to go to state this year! I was hoping they would choose Verses, Foiled Again, and DS8 wanted that one, but the vote went the other way.

GS11 was on a team of 5 last year, they came in 2nd in the state. The 5 invited 2 more to join their team this year. They are also doing Unidentified Moving Objects. Meeting has been rough for the last month and a half. They ordinarily meet after school once a week but we've had so many snow days that they've lost some time.
    It's really great for GS11.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Both of you are doing Unidentified Moving Objects? That's great! When I saw the challenge, I thought it was so cool. Every single kid on our team voted for Verses, Foiled Again though.

Nautigal, I'm happy to see the school continued the program.

OHGrandma, second in the state! Whoo-Hoo! I can relate to all the snow days. We went through a period of sicks kids and too much snow for safe travel.

Maybe we will see each other at globals. Fingers crossed. Here's to hopeful thinking. smile

D
    D
    We are doing Verses, too. We meet only once a week; it's probably not enough, but we'll have *something* done to show for it, and I don't think any of these kids could tolerate more in their schedules; they all have other commitments.

DeeDee

T
    OP Offline
    T
    I find the props take sooo much time to create. We wouldn't have as many meetings if it wasn't for the props. We also have a 2 hour meeting every other week for Instant Challenges.

DeeDee, do you use a gym for crushing your structures or do have weights at home?

D
    D
    We're not even there yet-- I think you are operating at a different competitive level from ours! We will borrow weights...

DeeDee

G
    G
    I'm so interested to hear about all of your experiences! I grew up on OM (even coached/judged), but DS6 particpated in DI activities at the Stanford seminar a few weeks ago and LOVED it!

I'm trying to learn more about the difference between DI and OM. From what I'm hearing, they're very similar but OM has more technical rules??

I'm teaching a critical thinking class this semester for 3rd/4th graders using the short-term hands on challenges in the DI/OM materials. The kids are having a blast, and they don't even realize how much they're learning!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Gratefulmom, I didn't know OD was still in operation. I think our town used OD before DI, but it was a long time ago. This is my second year with DI, so there is so much I still don't know yet.

Have you tried doing Instant Challenges with the kids? It builds a fantastic team work environment. The kids earn points for solving the challenge and team work. If someone says "no" or anything negative, points are taken away. They learn very quickly the right things to say to support each other and how to disagree respectfully and graciously.

DeeDee, I have elementary kids, ages 8 to 10. It's funny to watch the differences in ages work.

D
    D
    Tallboys, ours are ages 8 and 9. I meant: you are competing much more seriously than we are. We meet once a week; it sounds as though your team's level of investment is altogether different.

DeeDee

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Sorry for the misunderstanding DeeDee. Yeah, our town takes it seriously. We have had a team go to globals every year for the past 25 years. There's a large handful of DI enthusiast around here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM