Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Thanks for the details. I hadn't really ever even considered legal proceedings becoming necessary. Ugh. I just took my ball and went home.

Talk about your advocacy work! When you literally become an advocate--as in lawyer!--for your child, things are BAAAAAAAD!

I'm so sorry you went through that, I'm glad you came through it with things going so well for your DS, and I hope it's smooth sailing for you from here on out!

That's my secular GT blessing for you, Dottie! smile

Kriston
    Sounds like it. Still, I'm not sure I'd have had the backbone to do it. So painful! You are a strong person, Dottie! I admire you!

Kriston
    Dottie, I don't quite get who actually made the decision to hold him back, and if they had any documented evidence to back up their position? They were obviously wrong as evidenced by your son's achievement, but I'm really puzzled about why some school authorities are so set against grade skips.

Speaking from experience, it's not just grade skips these folks are against, it's any special treatment for anyone. Got a problem? Need an exception? Forget it! It doesn't matter what it is. You're not special.

I think you're right--at least a lot more often and at a lot more school districts than we might like--and I don't really understand the attitude.

Is it just that "different" = more work (or at least the belief that more work will result)? Or is it some perception of an injustice being done if everything isn't EXACTLY the same for all kids?

Or both? Or something else entirely?

I guess I just don't get it.

Last edited by Kriston; 02/25/08 08:33 PM. Reason: added a qualifier

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Cathy,

That is great news about DS. You also bring a great point about using the school in the process and perhaps they will see what needs to be done.

BK�s previous post also brought up this point and from the conference, this is what her teacher was sharing with me. The school will not share the previous test results since they were used in the admission process. I was told that since she got in, then the scores were most likely in the gifted range. Then, why is the class moving so relatively slow? The teacher also shared that she knew the reading assignments were very easy for DD, so she was extending things by giving her more reading comprehension and allowing her to draw inferences from what she is reading. She said nothing about math. It appears that language arts is the main emphasis at this point for the children.

It is almost March, so it does not make much sense to me to push the issue for this school year. But, I really like Cathy�s idea about using the school. I find the idea of my DD being in the 99% unlikely, but maybe just going through the process will let the school see she needs more challenge.

So, I think testing over spring break may be good or do you all think I should wait until summer?

MomofOneGirl,

I hope it works out for the best smile

Kriston,

I don't get it either. I keep expecting professionalism...

Cathy

Originally Posted by momofonegirl
    Then, why is the class moving so relatively slow? ...
    It is almost March, so it does not make much sense to me to push the issue for this school year. But, I really like Cathy�s idea about using the school. I find the idea of my DD being in the 99% unlikely, but maybe just going through the process will let the school see she needs more challenge.

So, I think testing over spring break may be good or do you all think I should wait until summer?
    Hi Momofonegirl,
    There is never a bad time for a needed gradeskip, unless mutual friendships are really there. The sooner you start the ball rolling, the sooner your DD will be able to learn at her readiness level, or at least nearer to it. By your comment above, I gather that this isn't happening now.
    I think you should pursue testing over spring break.

The final caution is that this is a slow process. The schools react slowly, the testers aren't ready at the drop of a hat, and it takes a while for parents to come to terms with LOG. So calmly and delibertly start acting on the assumption that your daughter isn't at fault for being more advanced than what the school is offering, and that she deserves to be though about well.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students