Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I second Kriston. Ask the school for the test results and see where she is. If her scores are high I would have her tested to get better idea where she is. Set up a conference with the teacher and tell her that you are worried that DD is not happy at school and if there is anything they could do. Bring in books she reads and math she can do. The teacher may not even know how much she knows.

Dtto Kriston on DYS. DS5 got accepted last month. BTW Kriston it doesn't help with the whole gt denial.

LMom
    Originally Posted by momofonegirl
    In her conference, she did indicate that DD did not mind reviewing material which tells me that she is not challenged.

Apparently the teacher doesn't mind if DD isn't challenged, either.

Both of which scare me - lots!

I think you are getting to this about as early as a Mom of an only could be expected to...

Mid year skips are fine, especially if she is bored and 'done' with the current situation, although they can be tough socially (or wonderful socially - just hard to predict)
    Homeschooling can certianly be done on weekends and evening, just have to figure in the expense of daycare while you are at work...

I would spend some time in a first and in a second grade classroom in your zone school, with as open a mind as you can... if you can find a wonderful teacher that makes many things much better.

700$ isn't a bad price for testing, but the key thing is that you want a tester who is going to give you more guidance the - gifted-yes or gifted-no. You want someone who can give individualized advice based on your daughter's LOG (Level of Giftedness)

Good luck -
    Say more about 'is she happy?'

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    LOL, LMom! laugh

Kriston
    Originally Posted by momofonegirl
    Have you done the DYS process? What difference has it made?

We applied last month and have not heard back yet. I think the application process, itself, was valuable, though. I asked the vice-principal for a recommendation for DS so she decided to do a little one-on-one interview with him to get an idea of what he can do. He wowed her with his math skills and I think that really smoothed the way for our subsequent request for acceleration. DS is now making the transition to first grade. If all goes well this week, he will be switched to first grade full time.

Cathy

Cathy A,
    I guess that's about a strong an argument for filling out the application as I've ever heard! Yippee! It's even more exciting if you think about were you were in August, so I'll link to there:

Momofonegirl and Kickball - if you have the time, go back and read the thread - *** Link no longer working ***

It gives a great snapshot of where Cathy A's son was last August - and shows how much things can change over 7 months.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Dottie
    I hope you hear soon Cathy! You must be chewing your arm off by now.

Not really, LOL! I figure it's a long shot anyway. I'm more worried about this trial of first grade. DS is so excited about it that he would be very upset if it doesn't work out for some reason. I don't want him to think it was his fault or he failed or something frown I'm trying not to worry about that unless it happens but it's hard for me to not have a plan... I'm not good at ad-libbing. I need to have a plan for what I would say to him if the skip doesn't work out.

Grinity, thanks for the trip down memory lane! It's like reading a diary smile

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 02/25/08 02:10 PM.
    Cathy, I hope all goes well. So far so good, right? I can only imagine how nervous you must be. Have you talked to the 1st grade teacher yet?

Oh gosh Cathy, don't even think about that possibility! It's way too painful. Our story had an ultimate "happy ending", but 3 weeks after DS was moved midyear from 3rd to 4th (a complete move, that included giving his desk to a new student), we had his IEP meeting for the following year.

In that meeting, Powers That Be, who had NEVER met DS decided he'd be placed in 4th grade again for the fall. Very little discussion...end of meeting. The primary reasoning was "for DS's emotional and social best interests." The principal was just as surprised as I was, and the GT teacher wasn't even invited! I have NEVER been so mad in my life, and I literally could not sleep for agonizing over it all. This in turn initiated our court proceedings that ended very well for DS, and the school at least knows now that I mean business. I don't know what they thought I'd do, but they seemed totally caught off guard by my legal paperwork.

Wow Dottie. Yeah holding him back (I am sure that's how he would take it) would do wonders for his emotional and social development. Gee. What were they thinking?

I had no idea you went through something like that. I understood from some of the posts that you had to play the big card - legal proceedings and such, but I never knew what really happen. Do you care to repeat the details? You don't want to me to dig through all the old posts, do you? smile

LMom
    I'd love to hear, too, if you don't mind sharing. I like to know what's possible, no matter how impossibly bad or unbelievably good (and thus unlikely).

Can you bear reading a slew of "Ohmigoshthat'sterrible!" posts from us all? <grin>

Kriston
    (I really hope the above doesn't frighten you....surely not all schools are so sneaky, but I guess it can't hurt to consider the unthinkable!)

Dottie, I'm glad things worked out in the end. I have already gone several rounds with the school over accommodations for the kids' life-threatening food allergies. The principal and I got off to a VERY rough start two years ago and are only now rebuilding a relationship of mutual respect. I don't want to go there again frown

Believe me, I know how sneaky schools can be and it scares the cr@p out of me. It's very hard for me to trust them.

Cathy

Oh, and as for damaging his social/emotional needs by holding him back, I really think in hindsight that this was never more than a "threat", because I had the audacity to take the proferred skip, and based on their test scores, ask for even more in the math. Their bad though, as there was no way I could NOT react to that "game"! I think they expected me to beg and plead, and be happy with the original skip (no extra math), despite test scores that showed complete mastery of all elementary math.

LOL. Way to go. Something tells me that they will never play games with you :lol

Good outcome, but scary story nevertheless.

LMom
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM