Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Our school uses the Stanford achievement tests each year in addition to the mandatory state testing for NCLB. The principal said they use it for "planning" but I'm not sure what that all entails. Anyway, my son is in 2nd grade but 3rd for math. I've asked if he can take the entire 3rd grade level test for the Stanford, to use as out of level testing to help us plan for his placement/curriculum next year. In spite of grade and subject acceleration, things just still don't seem a great match in terms of school.

Has anyone else used this type of test this way? Or should I look at more private testing to help with school advocacy?

D
    D
    Debbie,
    My son�s scores were variable on the Terra-Nova when he was in the early grades. For example, in 2nd grade, his science score was well below average. We didn�t know what to make of those results other than we believed the must be inaccurate because he had always had an advanced understanding of science. At some later date, I flipped the results over and read the descriptions of the general content and administration. For the 2nd grade science test, the teacher read an (excruciating simple, I�d imagine) question aloud and the students had to chose the best pictorial depiction of the correct answer. He probably would have done very well on the fourth or fifth grade version. They were just asking ridiculous questions.

I agree with Dottie, go two years higher if you can. Your son will have more room to show what he knows and he will have higher interest in the task!

Mia Offline
    Wow, CFK, I'm surprised your ds goes backward to test as well. I've never heard of that -- as far as I'm concerned, if you're in the new grade, you're in the new grade. Very interesting ...

Mia
    acs Offline
    Recently our district has developed a full-time class for gifted kids at one of the schools in the district. Gifted kids from other schools are all bused to that school. But the kids are tested at the school that they would have gone to were they not bused. This was the only way the district could get the schools and teachers to agree to the plan; no one wanted to lose those scores. I wonder if the same kind of thinking in in place in CFK's classroom.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the thoughts. The principal has already let me know that he has no problem having MrWiggly take the entire 3rd grade level test. It is the Stanford test they use for achievement and planning NOT the state NCLB test. That one he will have to take at his grade level - state law as everyone here notes. But he will take the grade he is enrolled in, not go back to the grade level he should be according to age, thank goodness.

That's an interesting thought, to have him take the 4th grade test. He *should* be in first grade this year, so technically 3rd is two grade levels ahead. But perhaps the fourth grade test would tell us more. My concern is that curriculum is still too slow paced for him. As the year progresses he is getting more and more restless with school. More behavior things - talking too much, acting up, moving too much in class, disruptive to others, etc. I'm sure it's because he's bored. I don't want to have him skip any more grades, but would like to see some differentiation of curriculum, which the principal said they "don't really do until 3rd grade". Yet they certainly don't differentiate in 3rd grade math!

And you are right, it does take FOREVER to get the results back - even on the Stanford. I don't know if they would be back before school starts in the fall. Maybe we'll just have to do more private testing..... I just don't know. But thanks for the input. Please add other thoughts if anyone has some!

OP Offline
    Just to update - and share some school advocacy success:

I had emailed our principal and asked about the Stanford test being given to MrWiggly using the 3rd grade level, but 4th grade math. I also let him know that MrWiggly is taking an enrichment course (science topics - biology related, scientific method stuff), is reading R.L. Stine, Rotten School series books at home and only takes about 10 minutes to do his math homework sheets.

Mr. Principal responded that he had discussed things with the superintendent and that MrWiggly "can and will take the 4th grade level test across the board." Woo-hoo! I do believe they "get it!" Finally!

I was really worried at first - knee jerk response of "OMG, what if he can't do ANY of it??!!" But once I calmed down (thanks in part to the red wine hubby poured for me!), hubby and I decided that this is great. It's a huge change from their initial refusal to do anything. I'm so glad we keep advocating. And really glad I brought this issue up now, so we are ready for the testing in April. The principal said he agrees that the test should help us "to decide what MrWiggly's curriculum should look like next year." I do believe they are working WITH us now!

Debbie-

Great news! It does sound like things are going well.

Mia Offline
    Wow! That's fabulous! Congrats on a big step from the school. laugh

Mia
    That's awesome Debbie. Excellent job advocating for DS! And a big thanks from the parents/children that will come after you that will have an easier time providing appropriate challenge level for their children because you paved the way at your school!

Incog

Wonderful news, Debbie! It's nice that the principal is so receptive. Good luck!

LMom
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs