Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #93818 02/01/11 04:58 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thursday is Fran's conference. What is an IEP and how do I determine if she needs one? I think I am going to ask that she be put into 2nd grade math. She took the end of year 1st grade math test in September and scored 69% I think it was. The gaps are small and can easily be filled in if they havent been already. She is bored. Her MAP scores for winter.. reading 190 (97%) math 188 (98%). Her RIT to reading (same as Lexile score) is 428.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Also on the same note... can I ask that they test EJ.. get an IEP before kindergarten starts? He is easily do hetr accelerated math homework. He is reading at a mid kindergarten level.. but really we just started to read. He sounds out all his words. We need to work on fluency and expression with him

IEP - individualized learning plan
    Some places only do that for special education, some schools do it for gifted kids at well.

How old is Fran? When do you want her to start the 2nd grade math? Are there other kids who also took the end of year 1st grade test who could go with her?
    Can you tell what kind of mistakes she made?

Do ask them to test EJ. Bring some of the homework sheets that he did easily, in his own handwriting if possible.How old is he? What do you think about asking them to start him in Kindy now? Sometimes for boys it is recommended that they do kindy (especially if it's half day) and then skip to 2nd. Does EJ go to preschool now? How is that going? How does he deal with 'This is an B, it's for words like Boy?'

Anyway, good luck

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    The requirement where I live is that the child get 80% or better on the end of year test to move into the next grade math class. So, for instance, all of the 5th graders take the end of 6th test at the end of 5th. Those who get 80% or more right (along with a 95th percentile MAPs score for grade) can take 7th grade math in 6th.

Do you know if your district or school has any formal policy in place like that for subject acceleration? If she's just a bit short on the requirements if there are any, could they retest her on the end of 1st grade test or could she subject accelerate next year rather than this?

Is she getting any enrichment in class beyond the basic curriculum? If not, I'd ask what they generally do for kids who have already mastered the end of year requirements.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    Frannie is 7 yrs 3 months. She is in a multi-age classroom 11 first graders and 11 second graders. She took the CogNat test a few weeks ago . We are waiting for the results. She is getting enrichment in math. But counting dots on a domino is still far behind where she is. On the end of year test she didnt know fractions and place counting. Which after reviewing it with her she knew what they were and how to do it. I didnt see the actual test.

EJ is 5 yrs 2 months. He could have easily started kinder this fall but our district doesnt allow early entry (we asked for this with Frannie as well). He is very interested in numbers and math. He easily does her homework. As for reading... once he started he hasnt looked back. He is sounds out words that she cant (or should I say wont). He is in a kindergarten program designed for kids to go into first grade after. Frannie also did this program. He also enjoys word games.

Good luck with the conference.
    See if they can put her in 2nd grade all together and move her along to 3rd grade with those kids next year. Lots easier than having her bouncing back and forth. Ask them 'point blank' how many kids in the 2nd grade have higher Math and Reading MAP raw scores.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

F
    OP Offline
    F
    In second grade they will give her the Wisc-II. This is to see if she qualifies for our magnet school. The school (a school within a school) is for the top 1% of students. They are integrated for p.e., art and music and at recess and lunch. This is also the school that offers a mandarin immersion program (starting with incoming kindergarten this year). I am looking at trying to get EJ into this program.

I will ask the question.. I know there is one other first grader in the reading group ahead of her... I dont know if he took the end of year math test.

Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    In second grade they will give her the Wisc-II. This is to see if she qualifies for our magnet school. The school (a school within a school) is for the top 1% of students.
    Sounds like your district has lots of good resources - good luck with the meeting. Let us know how it turned out, ok?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    In second grade they will give her the Wisc-II.
    The WISC-IV (IQ test) or WJ-III (achievement test) maybe? The WISC-II would be a wildly outdated IQ test which really shouldn't be used anymore.

FWIW, the CogAT, which your dd recently took, is a group ability test, not an IQ test and not all gifted kids test as well on group tests. I wouldn't let them rule her out for GT consideration if she doesn't ace the CogAT.

F
    OP Offline
    F
    its the WISC IV she will take for the magnet school. Our conference was postponed until next week due to the blizzard.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent