Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I get it that he can't sleep on a heating pad, but can he use one for 15 munites after a long day?

Fantastic suggestion. Getting a good quality moist heating pad may make a huge difference in his pain level. They are totally unlike what is sold at the drugstore. He could use it on his legs and feet even when he had the brace on. We've found it very helpful with tight muscles that can come from inbalances with hypotonia. http://www.amazon.com/Moist-Heating...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1308848204&sr=1-2 another good brand is thermophore. Both have good prices on Amazon.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    Last night one of the straps came off of the brace and I had to wake up my husband so he could fix it. I really have to learn not to panic when this kind of thing happens because I know it makes it harder for my son. I don't know what I would do without my husband. It was hard to sleep after the brace problem because I was worried that the strap wouldn't hold, but it did.

It is a very good observation that your anxiety level can make the situation worse. It may help to try to ask yourself the question "really, what's the worst thing if the straps don't hold tonight?" In the morning we fix them. Also, "what is my worrying accomplishing right now?" When you've asked those questions move to deep breathing and relaxation.

A
    aculady Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    On a related note, since I am still in the process of putting together a portfolio (handwritten work samples at a gifted level are rare here) and filling out that @#$%&* parent paperwork for DS to support his DYS application because his last achievement testing wasn't exactly what DYS accepts, does anyone know if you actually only need qualifying SAT scores on a single section to qualify for DYS, or is it like the ACT scores, where you need the composite also? DS as an 8th grader made a 740 Critical Reading, but only 520 Math on the SAT. The wording on the qualifying criteria page seems to indicate that any one score will work for the achievement portion, in which case I can stop obsessing over the portfolio and just send what I've got when the paper score report comes in.

Originally Posted by aculady
    page seems to indicate that any one score will work for the achievement portion, in which case I can stop obsessing over the portfolio and just send what I've got when the paper score report comes in.
    I read it the same way = stop obsessing, send in what you have, and do send in the parts of the portfolio you have already done!

Do the work, but stop obsessing about it - make sense? Pretend you are making a 'retrospective' of DS so that when he gets married, you can embarrass him really well with a slide show of his early life.

Did you apply also to SET with that CR score? How old is your son now?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    Yesterday, my son used an accommodation for his dysgraphia for the end of semester test in his writing composition class--his iPhone. There were 13 short answer essay questions requiring at least three sentences each and there was no way my son could write that much in one hour.

But he can type so fast using two fingers (one thumb and one index finger) that he finished the test before anyone else. He emailed the answers he had typed to the teacher. It was so easy. I don't think any of the other students saw him with the iPhone so he didn't feel uncomfortable using this accommodation.
    Thanks for sharing, I'm sure that will inspire many parents to keep working to get needed accommodations!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

A
    aculady Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Did you apply also to SET with that CR score? How old is your son now?

I feel kind of silly asking this, but what is SET? My son is 14.

Edit:Never mind. I found it. He wouldn't qualify.

Last edited by aculady; 06/27/11 05:23 AM.
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Edit:Never mind. I found it. He wouldn't qualify. [/quote
    even with
    [quote]Qualifying for SET

How do I qualify for SET?

Students qualify for SET by scoring at least 700 on either the Math or Verbal (Critical Reading) SAT Reasoning Test before age 13. Students who take the SAT after their 13th birthday may qualify for SET by scoring an additional 10 points above 700 for each month after their 13th birthday. Thus, a student who takes the SAT three months and two weeks after his or her 13th birthday would qualify for SET with a score of at least 730 on either the SAT-Math or SAT-Verbal.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations