Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by yannam
    Our area do not have open enrollment option because her school do not have one, any suggestions on that
    You don't need to be part of a group to do it.

http://epgy.stanford.edu/openenroll/signup.html

We've done both IXL and Aleks, and I like the way Aleks moves kids over the material. IXL is more about drill, IMO. My son loves Aleks. My daughter does IXL (she isn't advanced enough for Aleks, which starts at 3rd grade I believe).

Originally Posted by Catalana
    (she isn't advanced enough for Aleks, which starts at 3rd grade I believe).
    Aleks is advertising themselves as a K-12 solution, but it may well be that their math starts at grade 3 level. I haven't heard from many parents who have tried it with 'little ones' but I think it's reasonable to try a child on the 3rd grade level (or whatever lower level they have) during the free trial and see if it's workable. It may be that a much younger kid can do some of it but not all of it. I'd love to hear more real life experience, as I didn't even know about Aleks until my son was already in 4th grade!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I'll let you know Grinity. DS has been asking to try some "real algebra" (he wants to take chemistry asap and learned that he can't do that until he takes algebra I, which he won't get to officially for a year or two -;)). So, I signed up for the free trial (he stopped doing it at home when he started back to school as the subject acceleration was enough math at that point) to see if it is a lasting interest. Several people have posted that past the pre-algebra stage they wouldn't use Aleks as their primary math because it isn't deep enough, but for the elementary grade stuff my son loved it because he could control what he was working on and it moved quickly - not much repetition.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    I'll let you know Grinity. DS has been asking to try some "real algebra" (he wants to take chemistry asap and learned that he can't do that until he takes algebra I, which he won't get to officially for a year or two -;)). So, I signed up for the free trial (he stopped doing it at home when he started back to school as the subject acceleration was enough math at that point) to see if it is a lasting interest. Several people have posted that past the pre-algebra stage they wouldn't use Aleks as their primary math because it isn't deep enough, but for the elementary grade stuff my son loved it because he could control what he was working on and it moved quickly - not much repetition.
    Just a fwiw, if your son is interested in doing chemistry in ALEKS, I'm not sure there's any need to wait until any particular stage in maths; it has the prerequisite maths topics built in, so provided he's ready to learn them on demand (none of it seemed that hard) he could just take it as it came. I have mixed feelings about the course - it seems to me to be very, very dry, but DS still says he wants to carry on with it and does it from time to time. That said, he doesn't actually remember to choose to do it more than once every couple of weeks these days so I'm not sure which is going to come first, his finishing it or my losing patience with paying for it!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...