Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Jedsmum
    I guess as Grinty says the ideal would be a class full of kids his age that are working at a higher level and given that the education system is not going to go back to streaming anytime soon I guess we just have to work with what we have.
    Wouldn't that be great? Like you, most of us don't have that option, though! Maybe the difference on our end was that our dd12 skipped a grade later in the process so she had more time to physically and mentally mature before being placed with much older kids. She was always with somewhat older kids b/c her bd placed her on the younger end for grade, but it wasn't as big of a gap pre-skip.

My dd has always been an amazing writer in terms of concepts (what she writes), but the physical act of writing was a challenge for her early on and I do admit that I took transcription for her at times when she was younger b/c she was so slow getting it out on paper. We also worked on typing and she is a decent typist.

She did have trouble with physical output and also with peers understanding her at your ds' age. She was dx with dyspraxia and SPD after her IQ testing although I don't know if they are truly issues she has. She's outgrown them enough as she's gotten older such that they really don't present a significant challenge for her anymore. We've contemplated retesting IQ and I'd be curious to see if those parts that were impacted by anxiety and slower speed like the block design test would be higher now (I suspect they would), but I think that we've decided against it. It really wouldn't make a difference in anything she's doing at this point.

J
    Jedsmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yep I think typing is definately the way to go. Although I'm still not sure if it will help with him processing his thoughts to get ideas down on paper. I think if its factual stuff he will be ok but if its make up a story then he'll be stuffed.

I remember now when he was in 1st his teacher gave all the kids the makings of a man and a parachute and told them to assemble it and she said that she was surprised that he couldn't do it, he didn't know how to get started, once she showed him what to do he was fine but she initially thought he was mucking about and didn't want to (those were the days when he 'opted out' of class and sat in the corner reading his books). She knew he was capable so couldn't understand his problem. He seems to have this problem a lot - doesn't seem to know where to begin but once something is explained to him he has no trouble at all.

I will explore the dysgraphia/dyspraxia more but like you I'm hoping that with time things will get to a catch up point and it is not so much of an issue for him, I do see big improvements in the last few years.

I can't decide if I should share the report with the school or hold it till I have more information on the dysgraphia. The IQ score won't make any difference to the accommodations he's getting now, unless they saw it as a lower score and drop him from the extension classes but as I have to pay for them anyway and he is performing fine so I don't think they would. Its a new year and a new teacher, a female again, which I think will be better for him than the male he had last year (very much a mans man, not very sympathetic to the meltdowns and lack of sporting prowess). I'm thinking maybe just to leave her with it for a bit and see how it goes, see if she comments on his writing etc. With this new pilot class she is going to have a lot on her plate anyway and it will be really new for everyone. With it being a combined yr5/6 class I'm also hoping that he may befriend one of the older kids, maybe someone will take him under their wing, that does usually end up being a girl though as he is real cute and I so want him to bond with the boys frown

Better get on with work. Then go home and dig out the typing programme.

Thanks for the encouragement its really what I need to hear from others that have come out the other end.

Chris1234

Thanks for the info on the social skills - I think it will be tough finding anything in NZ to match. Even councilling here is not very prevelant (tough it out man) and what is around seems to be aimed at adults and is very expensive but I will check with his GP today to see if there are any other options.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM