Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #9251 02/20/08 05:42 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My brother and his wife were brought into a meeting the other day with my nephews teacher and 3 other 1st grade teachers. They reason for the meeting was that they are suggesting that my nephew (lets call him L) be held back next year. The reason: He isn't completing tasks, has a hard time staying focused, and isn't "mature". They want to hold him back so that he will hopefully be more mature. They said "it will be great, he'll be one of the older boys and be at the top of his class".

About L: He started K young. He has an October bday so he started at 4 then turned 5 a few months later. He is incredibly bright. He has a proclivity for math and reading. His reading level is 2.7 (2nd grade, 7mos) and he's also advanced in math. The interesting thing about L is that he has this ability to build things that are amazing. He created an erector set where a marble rolls through it...and it is so complex I was really surprised. He's only in 1st grade, yet he's writing in cursive, doing division and is reading quite well. He can also do puzzles at lightning speed, even ones that are for adults.

I asked L the other day how school was going. He said "good, but I dont get my work done like I'm supposed to". I asked why and he said "Its just so boring sometimes...and I like to help other people with their work first if they dont get it". He is a very social little boy but Im guessing that his lack of focus and time management make him appear immature. Perhaps he is....but I just don't know. I'm also surprised the teacher is saying this now when there is still 4 more months of school. But maybe its a "heads-up" type thing.

So ladies help me out. I know many of you have kids who have difficulty staying focused in school. Its certainly not that he can't do the work but is this enough to hold him back? I know its common for some GT kids to not do the work when they aren't challenged. I dont know if he is GT but in my experience he really seems to be. Im not sure what level he'd be, perhaps MG. I would appreciate ANY advice you ladies might have.

Originally Posted by Mom2LA
    So ladies help me out. I know many of you have kids who have difficulty staying focused in school.

<hand raised> Yup, we do!

Originally Posted by Mom2LA
    Its certainly not that he can't do the work but is this enough to hold him back?

I'd say no, it's not! Has anyone else bothered to talk to the child about WHY he's not doing his work? Do they all just not realize that he's GT, probably Visual-Spatial, and bored?

Can you recommend GT assessment--including an IQ test and perhaps an achievement test--before your Bro and SIL make any decisions about next year? I think that's probably the best bet for your nephew.

If it's possible for you to advocate with his parents, I would recommend that you do so. Someone needs to stand up for this child, and his parents seem to be missing the boat with him. On the bright side, most parents don't mind hearing that their child is really bright, so even if you're going to be seen as "meddling," it's not likely to be viewed as a bad thing by the parents in most cases.

Give them whatever help and guidance they'll let you share with them. It sounds like they need it!

Good for you for paying attention! Your nephew is lucky to have you!

Kriston
    I also second the GT assessment.

I also think it is so sweet that he says that he is helping out his classmates. IMO, your nephew probably has very little motivation to finish his work if he is not learning anything new.

Crisc
    That's scary. I too would suggest to get assessment done ASAP. It's hard to do busy work over and over and over and that's probably how he feels about his assignments.

LMom
    T
    T
    He isn't completing tasks, has a hard time staying focused, and isn't "mature".

Amen to the GT testing! I agree, he probably isn't completing tasks because he's bored. Holding him back will exacerbate the focusing problems. Did they give examples of what they mean by immature?

Good looking out for your family!

D
    D
    I�m glad he is social. I think many teachers misinterpret kids separating themselves from the group as immaturity. The term also seems to be a catch-all phrase that is used to sway parents to accept a recommendation without concrete justification.

I would recommend your sibling ask that he be taken up to the next grade as an experiment to see if his out-put and attention improves. I also agree with the full GT evaluation. Unless he is found to be just average or below for grade, I would advise against the retention. I think he would become more disengaged from school if he had to remain in the early grades even longer.

Are the parents floored by this recommendation? I hope they weren�t intimidated by the number of teachers at the meeting. Did they all have some first hand knowledge of the boy, or was it just an ambush?

#9267 02/20/08 08:39 PM
    K
    K
    On reading level alone, I think they have no right to hold this poor little guy back!? I volunteer with the first graders every week. I don't think your nephew has cornered the market on immaturity.

My DS has an October birthday and is a full year older than this little guy. He was reading where your nephew was a year ago. Now he reads 6-8th grade level novels with excellent comprehension. That's where this poor guy could be in a year's time! I can't imagine making him sit through 1st grade AGAIN because he doesn't fit into some social mold that they think everyone should fit into. It's probably bad enough to do it once. It doesn't sound like his needs are being met in that environment.

You are a wonderful aunt for being concerned and taking this on! It definitely sounds like he should be assessed ASAP. He sounds like a very sweet little boy.

E
    E
    I really hope they don't hold your nephew back. I bought into the too immature for his age level and allowed my son to be held back for social reasons after an early K start. We are still and will continue to deal with the negative fall-out from that decision.

He sounds like a really sweet child with alot of skills that are not being challenged smile My son had the same excuse for not getting his work done btw lol

Golly, that's scary talk: "Your child is too bored to do this work now, so we want to make him do it again next year and see what happens."

Actually some kids who are overwhelmed do say that they are bored, but not usually kids who doing division and reading above grade level.

Advice #1: Suggst that they get a GT assesment, IQ test and Achievements.
    Advice #2: If they seem reluctant to follow advice #1, scare them: by saying "Well gee, maybe he has a learning disability, you'd better get his IQ checked."

((I can be so mean sometimes, but some folks do have an easier time telling themselves that they are 'ruling out a LD' than steping into the role of Advocate for a Gifted child.))

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, I got detailed information from my bro. This is directly from the letter the teacher gave him after the meeting. Yes, it was an "ambush". My bro and SIL had no idea what the meeting was about. Oh and to add, he is at a new school this year and was doing better at his last school academically. (not sure why).

"background:
    oldest of 3, new baby at home (mom says he's been this way before baby),{(excels at) puzzles, sorting and blocks, bright}, mid-Oct birthday 6yrs, can get rough in tag games, likes to dig in sand, parallel play, takes long time to do homework

Strengths:
    Academically capable, bright, helpful, likes to please, grasps new concepts, math and reading a strength, 2.7 STAR (basically reading at 7th month of second grade but in May of '07 he was reading at 2nd month of 2nd Grade) , enjoys reading, can focus well on activities he chooses/likes

Areas of concern:
    Repetitive tasks are a struggle, believed to be developmentally very young, penmenship can be difficult (hard to read at times), difficulty completing work - especially writing but excels in math, slow to start on work/easily distracted, not an independent worker, can meet standard but not expectations.

Modifications in place:
    redirection, reduced work (modified), reminders, prompts, extra time

For homework(HW) issues they recommend that limiting 15 minutes a day for HW and what is not finished is annotated on the HW that he ran out of time and turn in HW as is."

From my brother:
    They also recommended he repeat first grade so he will be at the head of his class to give him more confidence. They wanted us to stress that repeating will be a positive thing.

Some confusing stuff. We do not agree with it on many levels. Typical California school system response to a child that does not either fit their standard mold or is not falling completely behind.

What we do know is his reading level has slowed with this new school. His hand writing was more than ledgible before he graduated kindergarten last year and he had issues with getting distracted in kindergarten and by the end of the year, he had improved greatly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM