Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 28 of 32 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    We're not pulling our DS because we were upset with some of the things the school did, but really we want DS to have intellectual peers his own age. We don't want to burn any bridges - we might need to come back. Or want to come back (the HS here has a lot of different options that would probably work for DS). So, wish me luck on Monday when I go report the pullout.
    Good luck Monday!!! Excellent news about the opening - what a stroke of luck! So glad the school is near your job - that's nice. I think the current school will understand your perspective, afterall, 'social and emotional needs come first at school.' I'm pretty sure you'll be able to filter the sarcasm out better than I can.

Great news that he has a friend he likes well enough to miss, too!

Yippee and More Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Thanks Grinity -

Things went very well on Monday. The classroom teacher and the gifted teacher both thought it was great news for DS7, even though they would miss him - they felt it would be a better fit. So I was relieved.

The principal did give her opinion that the acceleration went well, especially DS has "come so far socially." So, yes, social needs were big at the current school, which is fine with me so long as the academic needs are also recognized. (Well, I'm of the opinion that if you meet the academic needs, the social needs will also be met.)

I'll let you know how things go next week at the new school. I have a feeling there will be a bit of a learning curve, and also DS and I will both be extra tired, having to get up an hour earlier....

JJsmom - good luck with the lottery!

W
    W
    Great news SPG. I hope the commute isn't awful. No chance of taking a train or bus?
    Ren

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    They invite you to come to the lottery drawing. I am wondering, if it is a true lottery, why they would invite you. I mean do they let you, if you don't get a spot, a chance to give a good reason to let your kid(s) in? Or does showing up give your child a better shot?

Either way, I'm going, but still...

unforunately your chances should not be effected whether you go or not. I think they just invite you to prove that it is a true lottery and people don't complain later that it wasn't fair. This way they can prove to the public that it was done at random in front of witnesses.

But... but... but... but he HAS to get in!!!

You're picturing me, the person who cannot carry a tune, crying and screaming and whatnot to the judges (on any random "talent" show) just begging to be let through, aren't you? wink wink

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    The principal did give her opinion that the acceleration went well, especially DS has "come so far socially." So, yes, social needs were big at the current school, which is fine with me so long as the academic needs are also recognized. (Well, I'm of the opinion that if you meet the academic needs, the social needs will also be met.)
    Wonderful news! I tend to agree with you, but I suppose it's best to treat every individual situation, individually. Good luck with the 'early bird!'

JJ'smom - good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    They invite you to come to the lottery drawing. I am wondering, if it is a true lottery, why they would invite you. I mean do they let you, if you don't get a spot, a chance to give a good reason to let your kid(s) in? Or does showing up give your child a better shot?

Either way, I'm going, but still...

unforunately your chances should not be effected whether you go or not. I think they just invite you to prove that it is a true lottery and people don't complain later that it wasn't fair. This way they can prove to the public that it was done at random in front of witnesses.

But... but... but... but he HAS to get in!!!

You're picturing me, the person who cannot carry a tune, crying and screaming and whatnot to the judges (on any random "talent" show) just begging to be let through, aren't you? wink wink

lol, well I guess even if you are there and he doesn't get picked you could yell "that's not fair!!...I DEMAND a redo" that may go over well. Or maybe you can convince them that they did say your kids name (and spread some random friends through the crowd agreeing that they heard it as well). Make them think it is them, not you. : )

S
    S
    That's great SPG! I am sure they realize it is a better fit, which is wonderful. I hope next week goes well! Definitely keep us updated. Maybe he could sleep more in the car on the way there. Of course my son NEVER does that even when we have gotten up really early for road trips. He either stares out the window, sings, reads, or talks a lot about random bits of information. But we have had a lot of good quality conversations in the car actually. Hope the transition is smooth for all of you : )

Maybe he could sleep more in the car on the way there. Of course my son NEVER does that even when we have gotten up really early for road trips. He either stares out the window, sings, reads, or talks a lot about random bits of information.

We just have to get our kids together sometime. This is my DS, exactly! All this talk about the kid getting enough sleep - I'm starting to get worried for myself (I hate getting up early!)

Thanks for the well wishes. He is starting to get excited now, too, because we told him some upcoming activities that the new teacher posted on his website. (Which, by the way, is already a huge improvement - we never knew what was going on at old school. I love, love, love that new teacher posts what's coming in the week ahead.)

When I picked up DS's stuff after school, his teacher said that there were quite a few tears when the kids found out that DS was leaving. He said he's been teaching quite a while, and had kids leave before, but this was the first time he's seen the classmates crying over it. I got a little teary-eyed myself hearing that! I will miss his current classroom teacher- he's a cool guy, and really did a lot to differentiate for DS.

And here's a funny: My mom picked up DS from school, and she said the first thing out of his mouth was, "Don't even think of hugging me. I've had quite enough of that today."

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Today is D Day... Come on 6pm.

M
    M
    Fingers crossed for you, JJsMom!

Page 28 of 32 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts