Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    My husband and I are seriously looking into the idea of counseling for him just so he can have someone to talk to about his sensitivities. We're starting to get very worried, esp. about his self-loathing when he gets in minor trouble.

Last week, he got in trouble for a minor issue. ... he talked in the car about being so mad that he wanted to hurt himself. He kept talking that way at home, and later I found a journal entry asking God to please kill him now because he's such a bad kid. (He's actually VERY sweet and much better behaved than most his age.)

Grateful, this sounds so distressing. I was struck by your post and wanted to encourage you to seek some help, only because your DS's brain is still young so this would be a good time for early intervention. The tracks are being laid and could be rerouted to more positive thinking. Self harm and ideation of self harm should always be investigated. I'm not sure what the intervention would be (maybe cognitive behavioral therapy, and/or mindfulness training?), but the outcome could be that your DS thinks less in black and white, as in "if I did something wrong, then I am a bad person." For some, it's hard to accept the thinking, "I can do something wrong - even intentionally - and still be loveable, good, etc."

Kids can definitely come into the world preloaded with a nasty inner critic.

All the best to you.

Parents of highly and exceptionally gifted persons have found it useful to retain a family psychologist or counselor to ..... What makes giftedness: A re- examination of the definition of the gifted and talented.��

This came up on a different google search
    Here's the link that goes with it
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10062.aspx

I'd like to add that a therapist sounds like a lovely idea. Supposedly modern therapists are super positive. Like, originally professional therapists made the world a less unhappy place. Modern therapists make the world a happier place.
    I stumbled across CBT google-fishing for a discipline plan the hubby and I could both believe in. I liked something I saw about CBT, but I looked in the yellow pages for a family CBT therapist and the only thing locally available is to rehabilitate abused welfare children. If even testing gifted kid's takes someone more specialized, I'm sure someone pre-emptively coping with gifted existential issues and developing a family structural discipline that works effectively and fairly for a pretty gifted kid might be outside the scope of the local clinic's scope or purpose.
    I've exchanged numbers and requested info after I found out that someone I know works there, is writing a book collaboratively about CBT practice. So now I have access to info and can tailor something out of it, maybe learn something I can use for my family.

Last edited by La Texican; 01/19/11 10:07 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Part of the cynicism exceptionally gifted children feel stems from viewing themselves as thinking adults who see the weaknesses of adults. A resistance to learn from adults may then ensue with a resulting need to maintain autonomy these children are thus in the dilemma of resenting treatment like a child and their necessary dependency on adults. They often defend themselves against the world and feel that they are the only ones capable of doing so [Roeper, 1984]. At least one parent is very likely gifted, capable, and accessible. Therefore, parents are the most probable source of essential trust, acceptance, and understanding of their child.
    This was in that article I just linked to. I wanted to say something like this earlier in this thread, but not so elogently. I was going to say it's like my kid looks like he's having fun pretending to be a kid, but not even he believes it. But I thought that was too weird to say. The point was-maybe that's why there's the stubborn defiance that really isnt "bad" but still isn't ok because it causes problems IRL.
    This is part of the root of the stubborn perfectionist gifted problem, I think.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    "Professionals can document and advocate that parents are not being pushy; but are probably concerned with getting obstacles out of the way so that their child can run at his own speed. Parents also need support paving the way for their pushy child.
    Establishing a professionally guided, ongoing support group for parents of the exceptionally gifted is one of the most effective and comprehensive means to encourage their children and facilitate their development. These groups can easily accommodate parents with children from preschool into adolescence. In this format, parents of older children may receive confirmation and serve as resources to parents of younger children."

Same article. Lol. Is that describing this forum?

bh14 #93114 01/20/11 09:40 AM
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by bh14
    On a lighter note, did you see the claim about the new zodiac signs? I wasn't happy wink. Then they came out in a separate article (on the news, mind you... as if there is nothing better going on in the world) and said don't panic, that was for if you don't follow the tropical zodiac, which most people do!` Not that I read my horoscopes, but I do think I fit the profile for a Cap! wink

Haha - yes I read it... I would be a Taurus, I think, if I followed that way. I suppose that would explain my stubborness, especially with DS! whistle

J
    J
    - acknowledge the feeling, but reword to something a bit more directly descriptive, getting rid of the proposed solution (not existing), e.g. "You're really really really upset about that, aren't you?"

This really works for DS7 too! He HATES it if he thinks for one second I am not paying attention to his feelings or what he's saying.

Interestingly enough, my mother was the one to tell me to do this with him, since she had to do it with me too. wink

G
    G
    Good morning,

Thank you so much, SeaBlue and everyone else, for sharing your experiences and for encouraging us to go ahead and look at counseling. In many ways it's reassuring to see that other HG/PG children this age are feeling the same ways. I'm also so glad to have the encouragement to go forward w/ outside help, though....As a 6 year old, he has absolutely nothing in his life that should normally be bringing him such self-loathing. I cringe to think about the teenage years, though, when meaner peers and social pressures, girlfriend angst, and job pressures come into his life.

Texan, thank you too for posting up the DI article. As a YS family ourselves, I should've looked there! I forget how many great resources are on that main website!!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Interestingly enough, my mother was the one to tell me to do this with him, since she had to do it with me too. wink
    Well done your mother! I learned to do it because of how strongly I remembered hating it when people told me the whole time to stop overreacting and taking everything so personally :-/

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having another day of this right now. With both of them actually.

If anyone needs me I'll be in the dark corner of the bedroom. Slowly going insane. mutter mutter mutter....

G
    G
    Hi Geomamma,
    I hope you have a chance to take some time for yourself. My dd5 had a period of about 2 months at 4 where frankly, I didn't like her. I really stuggled, as did my husband. I can't offer any advice - we seemed to wheel through a range of ways to deal with it and then eventually found it just ended. But boy, it was rough while it happened. We're at a similar, but at the same time, very different point at the moment - it seems to happen when she has brain spurts (as in have a big development in her level of understanding) - she becomes a ball of frustration and obnoxiousness until we have both worked out her new brain.

I wish I could offer more advice - all I can really say is look after yourself. I found there is nothing better I can do for dd than to be as patient as I can be and I can only do that my being extra selfish in taking 'me' time. Much easier said than done, I know (lol, I feel like the previous comment makes it sound like I was living it up - but the reality it just meant going for a walk on my OWN!!)

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs