Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #93045 01/19/11 10:51 AM
    G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Has anyone sent a child to college through one of the early entrance programs? I would appreciate hearing any experiences about it or thoughts about which kids it might be right for!

Thanks smile

G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I'm mostly asking about the kind of early entrance program you described, rather than just a college letting in a student a year or two early. Although I guess anyone that sent a child to college early (say more than a couple years early) might have insight that would be helpful. Thanks!

D
    D
    My only insight is that I think for me it would have been a good fit. I have it in the back of my mind for dd--the program at Mary Baldwin appeals to me. Interested to hear from those with direct experience.

L
    L
    I think that a program like EEP would have been a good fit for me. My only experience, however, was part-time college starting around age 14 (though I had attended some classes not for credit earlier). It was much better than sitting in middle school/high school, bored by the material and teased by classmates; however, I think that a peer group of students my age in college would have helped my adjustment to work-load and college life, which seems to be provided by most of the aforementioned programs...

That being said, I doubt these programs are for everyone. I think maturity and independence are necessary to keep up with assignments and studying in college, as students don't have teachers reminding them to do it. Curiosity and a willingness to try something new with respect to learning are also important for success (happiness and acceptable grades for the program).

I hope that helps!

Last edited by LilMick; 01/19/11 02:28 PM.
    P
    P

Most students who go to college early do so locally at college and universities that don't have programs specifically designed for early entrants. Our preteen entered college early and had a positive experience. We weren't really interested in the early entrance programs because there were not any in our area. The main value of the early entry programs are that they provide access to a peer group. While there are exceptions most typically students enter these programs when high school age which may be a limitation for students who need something sooner or who may have other options by high school age.

Do you have specific questions or concerns?

C
    C
    I knew a girl who was a friend of my DD went to Resident Honors Program at USC (one year earlier). She seems to be very happy there although USC is the school that she always wanted to go.

Early entrance program might be a good fit if the child can't wait to leave his high school and other alternatives had been exhausted. The up side is that he or she may skip the college application madness and potentially graduate from college earlier. But the down sides also need to be considered. You may have to pay more for college tuition. The child may not be mature enough to go to college yet. And also the opportunity cost: those gifted kids who can get into early entrance program can probably get into "better" schools through normal college application process one year later.

G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Do you have specific questions or concerns?

Thanks for the feedback! One of my kids is considering one of the programs specifically designed for younger kids so I was curious to know if anyone has done one of them and had thoughts about merits vs concerns, readiness/what it takes to do well. I am not sure if it is right for my own kid - we are weighing the options at this point.

Thanks!

W
    W
    My child attends one of the programs that allows considerably younger-than-typical students to take college classes early (he took his first college classes at 11). He is graduating high school this year, and will be starting as a college freshman in the fall, at 15. He looked at three options for college: continuing at the school he currently attends for college classes, going to Simon's Rock, or attending a "regular" college as a younger student. As a family we weighed what seemed like an unending list of pros & cons, both the obvious and the obscure, in the hopes of finding the right program/fit for him. There is so much to take into consideration, much of it having to do with the individual qualities of your kid, as well as the school programs in question. I'd be happy to elaborate or answer specific questions, so feel free to PM me.

WOW

G
    Grif Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by wayoutwest
    I'd be happy to elaborate or answer specific questions, so feel free to PM me.

WOW

Thanks - will send you a PM! Thanks to everyone for the advice smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets