Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 426 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by chiledog
    Also, we had our son tested to help deal with emotional issues (basically asynchronous development). Since we already had the scores, I thought it would be nice to qualify for YSP.
    How is that all working out c-dog? Have you been able to find some peers for him to hang out with? What have you tried and what seems to work?
    love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    We have just started down this gifted road. My DS (see, I am learning the lingo...) is very friendly and personal, but has trouble keeping long term friends. We have not searched out other gifted children yet, but may do so.

We have not started school yet either. (other than pre-school). His birthday is a couple weeks before the cutoff (k starts at 5 here). But we held him back because we did not want him to be the youngest in his class (I was growing up. It is not fun being the youngest/littlest). The ironic part is we may end up pushing to have him skip grades...

We recently changed him from an unstructured play based pre-k (where he wasn't doing well) to a structured academic K/transitional. He is doing great so far and loves it (fingers crossed).

Once again, thanks for the help.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    DS had 19 in Block design and Picture Concepts and 17 in Matrix Reasoning and that worked out to 152 performance IQ, so I would guess they all max out at 19.

Originally Posted by chiledog
    also, are the sub scores out of 18 or 19? From other posts in this group, I would say 19. But our psychologist (who ran the test) said 18. (actually she said he got every question right in the Block and Matrix tests.). I am a bit confused by if he got every question right how could it not be the highest number? Should I request the raw score? (It sounds like she was either confused when she told us the results or they calculated the results wrong. Or I am the one who is confused... Actually I am confused...)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DrinkMoreWater; 01/15/11 12:01 AM.
    A
    A
    DrinkMoreWater,

On some tests, even if an older child gets every question right, they can't get the top score, because the frequency of children in the population who could get every question right goes up with age.

C
    C
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, I have the subtests for WJ

Letter-Word Id - 156
    Passage Comp - 135
    Reading Flue - 140
    Word Attach - 141

Calc - 129
    Applied Problem - 133
    Math Fluency - 111

Spelling - 146
    Writing Samples - 146

In the report they also commented my DS had troubles with simple math (1+3 on paper). I found that odd because he knows all his addition / subtraction upto 20. My only guess is he took the WPPSI and WJ back to back (with WJ last) and he was getting tired.

A
    A
    On the WPPSI-III my daughter scores are as follows:

Verbal 150
    Performance 125
    Full Scale 144
    General Language 146

She has the achievement test scores in two different areas.

On the test report it shows the verbal of 150 as greater than 99.9%. My question is whether to avoid the portfolio requirement does the verbal have to over 150 or is right at 150 sufficient. I was a little confused by the 150+.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Since the verbal does qualify with that 150, if the achievement also hits the mark you can probably do the application without a portfolio. Good luck!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I would definitely ask about raw scores across the board.

Sorry, it took me so long to respond with the raw score. It took a while to get them.

For a 5 yr 5 mo:
    Verbal: 129
    Performance: 148

Information: 29
    Vocab: 32
    Word Reasoning: 21

Block Diagram: 38
    Matrix: 25
    Picture: 23

So, I guess our psychologist was incorrect when she said he did not miss any in Block Diagram and Matrix questions. (which originally confused me). Also, it looks like he is just a bit shy of qualifying (one more question right...).

On a side note: our psychologist wanted to see how our DS reacted when he wanted to do a task and failed (part of the emotional issues we are having). She informally gave him the block diagram test for high schoolers (I am not sure of the test name, but my son thought the block diagram test was "the best game ever" and wanted it for Christmas...). He correctly created ever one of them very quickly.

Thanks,
    Chiledog (aka c-dog...)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM