Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #92517 01/11/11 05:02 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Okay, so my child has a few years before h.s., but with a recent grade skip (and a possible acceleration still needed in the future) time is creeping up on us faster than originally planned if there was no skip. So, I am sure you all have mixed opinions on this but... what are your thoughts on going to a pricey, really good private school where a very good education would be expected, vs. going to a public school that offers credit flexibility (meaning seat time is no longer mandated by the state and they can earn credit from other means... online courses, experience, test out etc.) and maybe the ability to earn a bachelor's degree simultaneously with the h.s degree? Not sure the private school offers as much flexibility with this as they aren't required to adhere to the state requirements. Yes, there would be some leniency with these options but I would think the private schools would be more hesitant to allow these options. What are your thoughts and any personal experiences?

bh14 #92521 01/11/11 05:22 PM
    What sort of bachelor's degree are you thinking of? I looked at an online "degree program" recently that seemed mostly aimed at fundamentalist Christian homeschooled kids, and I was a bit underwhelmed.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    bh14 #92530 01/11/11 06:12 PM
    A
    A
    We personally prefer the options that allow us the most flexibility. That's why we homeschool. I know that Carnegie-Mellon and some other universities that participate in the Open Courseware project have high-quality online college courses that are freely available and you can often get public schools to accept them for credit. Our district's dual enrollment articulation agreement with the local community college and state university extends to homeschoolers, and so students like my son can take classes there on campus or online and have them count for high school credit as well as college credit provided they can pass the entrance tests. My boy is enjoying it immensely and doing well, even though he'd only be in 8th grade if he were enrolled in public school.

bh14 #92551 01/12/11 10:37 AM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Master of none, I am right there with you. I keep hoping that as time gets closer, we will have a clearer picture but do I need to chart our course now, like you said? SUch decisions. My kids are in a parochial school now, and it has worked out well, I just am pondering our steps for the future. I am a planner, what can I say smile

bh14 #92554 01/12/11 11:59 AM
    I
    I
    For D15, we are in the midst of the private school route. For us it has been a good choice. The school is fairly small, and she gets a lot of individual attention (even though they don't allow a lot of acceleration, but occasionally they do). Davidson THINK in the summer feeds her "need for speed", too.

bh14 #92559 01/12/11 01:04 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    lucounu... our state offers a post secondary enrollment option so that kids who are eligible can take college credits while enrolled in H.S. and the H.S. pays the bill and they can earn credit for college as well as H.S. simultaneously and possible earn an associates at the same time as a H.S. diploma (any degree that an associates is offered in).

CFK #92565 01/12/11 02:41 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Even if your state doesn't cover the tuition, it's usually much less than degree seeking student tuition.

Yeah, it does totally depend on the area. We had to pay full tuition rate and I know many others in the same position. It all depends on your state. You may end up actually paying more than you'd pay at traditional age if your student is part time and not degree seeing as they may not be eligible for the kinds of scholarships and financial aid they will be able to get later.

bh14 #92566 01/12/11 02:54 PM
    That's what I was going to ask. Does getting a little bit of college on the side actually hurt their chances of getting a scholarship and getting into the best schools.*. I'd hate inadvertently make a choice that closes other doors. I read once that getting local college classes while in highschool doesn't give u credits if you go on to an ivy league. I just read it online, not on a college website.

* Not that have to, I just hope the go for college and not teenage parenthood.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    bh14 #92568 01/12/11 04:36 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    La Tex, that's exactly what I was worried about. I read the same thing. I also read that some schools make it HARDER to get in if you've taken the classes while in H.S. even when their average admission GPA can be as low as a 2.99 I don't want to close any doors by taking a certain option. I also read that some AP classes don't count at certain schools either. UGH! WHy does it have to be so complicated?!

bh14 #92572 01/12/11 06:02 PM
    P
    P
    Taking college courses in high school will not hurt chances of admissions or scholarships for when a student enters college full time. The key is that the student needs to maintain their dual enrollment status as a high school student. The biggest scholarship opportunities are when a graduated student fully enrolls in college and that's a one time thing so you want to save that for when a student enters the college they intend to graduate from. But, students shouldn't fear taking college courses in high school.

And, yes, whether or not you can transfer the credits will depend on the college you attend. Most highly selective colleges won't grant credits. That isn't to say if a student intends to attend a highly selective college that these courses were without value. They may still be good for: 1. keeping the student busy and engaged during high school. This is not a minor point! 2. for admissions purposes by demonstrating the student sought out challenge. 3. for placement purposes even at some schools that won't accept the credits. 4. For actual credit if the student decides to attend colleges or universities (and that would be MOST schools) that accept transfer credits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM