Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    From what she's heard (from kids probably in a lower scoring range, mind you), CTY/TIP can be *very* difficult. I guess those claims have to be looked at with more scrutiny, now that I've heard from you that they aren't very hard.

From my kids' experience - speaking from the upper scoring ranges - there are very challenging classes at TIP. We looked at THINK, and the odd class pairings were not appealing. TIP offers some classes that are unique - as has been said earlier - and the students are starting on equal footing in many ways because no one has been exposed to the material before. The classes are designed to be put together in a way that offers terrific enrichment, not really acceleration (other than the math classes). So, there is no basis for students to judge each other, because these are not subjects they have seen in school. The grades are given in confidence, not shared with the class.
    PM me if you have other questions.

Last edited by twomoose; 01/06/11 06:56 PM.
    I
    I
    Bassetlover, I am so glad to hear someone else also say that the afternoon classes for THINK this summer are "duds". So it isn't just us. D's application form is sitting on the counter. She needs to write her essay about why she wants to take the classes she signs up for... she would readily take any of the 3 morning classes (esp. Anthro, but she would be okay with the other two), but the afternoon classes just do not appeal at all. So the essay is not started yet. Due next week, so she will write it this weekend. She still wants to go because she loves the intensity, and we can't find any other appropriate bio programs for the summer. A couple of promising research programs that accept sophomores lost their funding this summer frown

Someone suggested NIH -- those internships are very hard to get, and they do not provide housing. We live in the Midwest, so not this summer. I figured she might apply for one of those the summer after her senior year of HS (her sister will probably be living in the DC/Maryland area by then, out of college, so she would be able to keep an eye on things if younger D is living on her own for the summer).

Sorry to derail the thread smile

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by intparent
    Bassetlover, I am so glad to hear someone else also say that the afternoon classes for THINK this summer are "duds". So it isn't just us. D's application form is sitting on the counter. She needs to write her essay about why she wants to take the classes she signs up for... she would readily take any of the 3 morning classes (esp. Anthro, but she would be okay with the other two), but the afternoon classes just do not appeal at all.
    Sorry to derail the thread smile

Truth is, we didn't like last year's courses either. Well, we liked, once again, all of the morning, but none of the afternoon.

No worries about derailing the thread. These programs cost a lot, and DD has been *dying* to go to one for years, so we feel like we need to make a smart decision about the one to go to, because she will, at most, only go 2 years, and probably just once.

I
    I
    D took the biology course offered last year, and it really lit a fire in her for bio (she hadn't had it in school yet, taking it this year). And then the philosophy class as well last year (which she actually liked quite a bit). But she does not really want take Philosophy AGAIN from the same prof, even with different readings. So your D might actually like that choice (Philosophy) this year, D just feels like she has "been there/done that" after last year. She probably will sign up for the philosophy course anyway (it is something about philosophy and science, she figures maybe there is something in there she could use in college or summer program essays for next year when she applies for bio research programs smile ).

D did LOVE the intensity, and they are really supportive if the kids are struggling. It was a big confidence booster to find out that she could do well with such a bright group of peers. She was nervous before going, but did really well. She is a kid who often does "just enough", and is rarely truly challenged. I think she relished that part of it more than the actual course content. It is too rare that these kids get to run their jets at full throttle!

Speech seems like a very odd class to offer for this group. D said it is a relatively introverted group. Some exceptions, but generally.

M
    M
    Apologies in advance for side-tracking the discussion, but I was curious since it came up.

Grinity: which debate camp did your son do? Since we've decided not to go away in June or July (like CTY) this year, I was looking into summer debate programs for my rising 6th and 7th graders, noting that many debate camps are offered in August as well.

thanks in advance!

Most of the debate programs that are 'sleep away' are geared towards high school aged. I sent my son as a rising 1 year skipped 9th grader, and I 'might' have over-done it. The serious camps are geared to older high school students. DS loved it, but well, it's hard to get things 'just right.'

Wikipedia Debate Camp for more info.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    thanks, Grinity, for the quick reply. Yes, we will be looking for debate programs for middle school kids, since neither DD have formal debate experience.

A
    A
    I am a bit confused. Did your son only do one CTY camp and it was in debate? Is that your basis for saying the courses are not very challenging?

My son did a science course that we picked because it appeared to be less intense and had a field work element. However, friends took some of the more intense courses and found them challenging including fast-paced science (in place of taking the class at high school) and economics and philosophy. These courses were not easy and were in depth.

I would agree that for a 15yo, taking a class outside of her area of high knowledge and interest might provide a better learning environment.

Originally Posted by ajmom
    I am a bit confused. Did your son only do one CTY camp and it was in debate? Is that your basis for saying the courses are not very challenging?

Srry ajmom - The debate camp was different from the CTY camp experience.

Originally Posted by ajmom
    Is that your basis for saying the courses are not very challenging?
    If I said that, it wasn't what I was trying to say.
    Peace,
    Grinity

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets