Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Branwen
    All- I have heard that Mackintosh Academy is opening a Boulder branch for 2011-2012.
    Is that another private school?

K
    K
    Yes, it's private. I know a few people who have sent their gifted kids when they ran out of options in the public school. Some had success, others not.
    www.mackintoshacademy.com/

Last edited by knute974; 12/20/10 06:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    My understanding in CO is that public schools cannot "discriminate" based on test scores

There are public schools and programs in Denver Public Schools that require testing for entrance. I don't think it's a matter of discrimination.

My son is currently in a charter school in DPS that opened in August 2010...it's a great school but new schools can be chaotic. My son's classroom is fantastic but the school is still working out issues :-) If you choose a brand new school just be aware that the school will not be fully established when the doors open...it can take years before everything is stable.

M
    M
    Did anyone attend yesterday's meeting with the folks from Mackintosh Academy? I was going to try to go, but couldn't. I wonder if they found an affordable property (they were looking) and if they were able to get commitments from enough families (they said the needed 60 to open). If you attended or are from Mackintosh, I'd be interested to hear an update.

Madsdad

S
    S
    Madsdad. We currently send both of our kids to Mackintosh in Littleton. Yes, each day we make the one-hour drive from North Boulder to the Mackintosh campus. Our kids couldn't be happier. After the year we had last year within BVSD, it's worth every mile and every penny. (For perspective, my wife worked within BVSD and we come from a long line of public school teachers... we support our public schools!) It's been a stretch, but our kids are back to being the happy little ones we knew before 1st grade. Mackintosh is aggressively pursuing the Eastern Sun campus on South Boulder Road. We've secured some amazing financial gifts and a Boulder campus appears to be a reality. Renu Rose, the Head of School, isn't much of a compromiser. I expect a top-notch opening. The staff at Littleton has amazing experience. Ms. Rose has a knack for creating a solid and safe culture of learning. My kids regularly express how happy they are to be going to Mackintosh. Both were in plays last semester. If you told me my 8 year old son would enthusiastically be in a play last year I would have said you were nuts. It's a haul, but I encourage you to visit Mackintosh in-person soon. Many Boulder families are committing to the new campus. I believe you'll have a great experience.

Sincerely,

Steve Bachtel
    303-718-6858

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI