Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 290 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    For those of you who have attended a gifted conference, what have you/ your family gained from it?

We just pulled DS8 out to homeschool. Despite being a gregarious guy (at least to adults), he doesn't have many/any friends. And he increasingly wants to keep to himself. Hes not unhappy, but I'm now wondering if I can find him a peer by giving him exposure. DH and I are introverts, so this is really coming out of our comfort zones.

Are there any gifted homeschool groups in your area? We've found it easier to connect with people we see semi-regularly.

G
    G
    Even if you don't have a gifted homeschool group in your area, your son will probably get a lot out of mixed-age co-ops. We do several with our DSs, and just move them around between age and grade levels depending on the activities. With the co-ops, we do everything from core classes to LEGO Robotics, theater classes, art camps, camping and field trips, you name it.

You don't happen to live in Northern California, do you? Co-ops and homeschool groups are very popular where we live.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    Originally Posted by blob
    Despite being a gregarious guy (at least to adults), he doesn't have many/any friends. And he increasingly wants to keep to himself. Hes not unhappy, but I'm now wondering if I can find him a peer by giving him exposure. DH and I are introverts, so this is really coming out of our comfort zones.
    I think it's worth a try. Maybe make up 'business cards' for you and DS to hand out, and practice how to get phone numbers out of other kids and parents with your DS. The environment can be loud and busy, and LOG can be an issue, but if you want to find other gifted kids, you may as well give it a try. You only really have to find one other 'likeminded' family, and hopefully they will already have friends and resources to share...see what I mean?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Ds already attends three enrichment classes for at least half a year now. He loves the classes- he's been pining for them to restart because they broke for the hols. He loves the class subject (robotics, math, science) and the teachers, and says the kids are fine but doesn't see them as friends. They're all noisy fun classes with loads of interaction opportunities with kids of mixed ages. It's just been an absolute no-go.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a peer thing. I never gave that much weight, thinking friendships should be based on common interest. That's still true, but possibly with an added dimension.

B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Grinity, that sounds interesting. About LOG - how about a PG conference? There must be plenty of +MG kids around us, but that hasn't made a difference.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a peer thing. I never gave that much weight, thinking friendships should be based on common interest. That's still true, but possibly with an added dimension.
    Say more Blob.....I'm not quite following you....

Grinity, that sounds interesting. About LOG - how about a PG conference? There must be plenty of +MG kids around us, but that hasn't made a difference.
    If you can find a PG conference, by all means, give it a try. They can still be intense and noisy, but if you get that one or two connections, it's so worth the effort. Also, what about Chess clubs?
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    *grin*

Was hoping that with common interests, DS would naturally find some friends clustered around each interest, say robotics, math, whatever. This hasn't quite happened. He had his birthday recently and wanted a big party. When the entertainment company required a minimum number of 20 kids (he could come up with 3, although these are kids he barely talks to but thinks they're ok), he balked and changed his mind about having the party. I offered friends' kids, neighbours, but nope, he'd rather not. Same story last year.

My friend observed that he loves to talk science-based fantasies, and perhaps he'd relate better to someone who does the same speak as he does. Strangely we can't find any around us! So perhaps in a G crowd with super interests in physics, chemistry etc, he'd have an easier time finding someone to relate to.

He's not unhappy. On the contrary, since I withdrew him from school (a month ago), he's like some happy lark. My brain is fried cos I'm the chief person he talks to, but I'm looking down the road and wondering if the dearth of friends will continue. He's not territorial, physically pushy, anything. He just, withdraws.

Maybe I just have to accept that at the moment, he doesn't need more than this. Perhaps its a developmental thing. But it can't hurt if I give it a nudge smile.

You ever been in one of those situations where you start to meet lots of really good people. Then there's that energized happiness that begins to draw a crowd. �And some people can't hang and leave. But they were nice people too, they just didn't like it there. �Everybody who stayed had a blast. �

Sometimes when it's time to go there's one person saying, no, we don't have to go. �We could all just stay here forever. �And while nobody really would that clearly sums up the satisfaction everybody feels in their heart from having spent that time togeather. �And the people who met togeather in such a happy intense gathering try to seek out each others company further as often as they can.

If ever I've seen such a place it's been illusory and fleeting, perhaps even just a dream. �I hope there will be such a situation IRL. �Thus I search. �I keep finding only shadows and echoes, nothing sustainable yet. Maybe it's not meant to be sustainable since we always keep growing and changing. Hmm.?

My brother sounded that excited last year when he went to a video game designers conference. �I guess some people find that in their job sometimes. �I dreamed that's what college was like. �I have never been to a gifted conference. �I'm just making all this up, but that's what I hope it's like. �That's just what I'm starting to build up in my imagination of what it must be like. �And that's not even getting into the projects and inspired, and schemes collaborated, and pranks pulled off- there better not be pranks!

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM