Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    You need 2 out of 3 to apply, from IQ, achievement and portfolio.

I hope it's ok to quickly clarify this, Dottie. Have they changed their qualification criteria? I think sometime ago, I took what they wrote on their website to mean that DYS requires IQ score and either an achievement test result or portfolio. We are planning for DS8 to take the EXPLORE soon. We haven't sought an IQ score yet. If he does well and qualifies via EXPLORE, do you think we could try to apply with just EXPLORE results and a portfolio, without doing the IQ test? Thanks for your thoughts and hope I'm not hijacking this thread to ask my question.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by LDmom
    I think sometime ago, I took what they wrote on their website to mean that DYS requires IQ score and either an achievement test result or portfolio. We are planning for DS8 to take the EXPLORE soon. We haven't sought an IQ score yet. If he does well and qualifies via EXPLORE, do you think we could try to apply with just EXPLORE results and a portfolio, without doing the IQ test? Thanks for your thoughts and hope I'm not hijacking this thread to ask my question.

The application says two of the three, so if IQ scores were mandatory previously, they are not now. :-)

GiftedMom
    Thanks Dottie and Gifted Mom! And Happy New Year to all smile

C
    C
    To extend this topic, my son (5y 5m) was recently tested with WPPSI-III and has the following scores:

Verbal:
    Information - 15
    Vocab - 16
    Word Reasoning - 13
    Total - 138

Performance:
    Block Design - 18
    Matrix Reasoning - 18
    Picture Concepts - 17
    Total - 148

Coding - 11

With a full of 138.

From my understanding of DYS, he would not qualify since neither his Verbal or Performance is above 150. Is that correct?

If so, I have a couple other questions (not to complain, just to understand). I thought his performance score was hitting the ceiling and he might have scored higher if the test allowed it. How can he hit the ceiling and not qualify?

Also, are the sub scores out of 18 or 19? From other posts in this group, I would say 19. But our psychologist (who ran the test) said 18. (actually she said he got every question right in the Block and Matrix tests.). I am a bit confused by if he got every question right how could it not be the highest number? Should I request the raw score? (It sounds like she was either confused when she told us the results or they calculated the results wrong. Or I am the one who is confused... Actually I am confused...)

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by chiledog
    From my understanding of DYS, he would not qualify since neither his Verbal or Performance is above 150. Is that correct?
    correct. But when he turns 6, if he takes the WISC IV there is every reason to think he will likely have a score over 145.
    I thought his performance score was hitting the ceiling and he might have scored higher if the test allowed it. How can he hit the ceiling and not qualify?
    'hitting the ceiling' isn't a set in stone idea. I dont' know DYS's exact reasoning about having the higher cut off for WIPPSI, but as you get to the top of the age range for any IQ test, it's harder to tease out the difference between 'very very gifted' and 'very very very gifted.'
    Blame it on the test- so frustrating! The portfolio + achievement option is still availible. The IQ scores don't 'rule out' DYS deciding in his favor.

it is always possible that a mistake was make in calculating the scores...Dottie?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Also, he took the WJ-III, but I don't understand the results or what DYS is asking. His results are:

Brief Reading: 158
    Broad Reading: 134
    Brief Math: 137
    Broad Math: 137
    Brief Writing: 146
    Broad Writing: --

BTW, thanks for the quick response.

Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement-III (WJ-III Ach) Standard score 145+ (99.9th percentile): Broad Reading, Broad Math, Broad Written Language, or Total Achievement

Although the brief scores are over 145, they are looking for Broad scores. You can always apply, but I wouldn't expect an acceptance.

Let's look at it another way - there must be something going on in your life that made you think, gee, having the support of DYS would make my life better. If you want to get specific and start a new topic about what those thoughts were in detail, I bet that some of us here have faced those problems and might have experience that would work for your family too. A kid doesn't need YSP-level scores to have YSP-level issues.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

P
    P
    A kid doesn't need YSP-level scores to have YSP-level issues.

Grinty: you are so on with this. I think any of us (or all of us) have had some very frustrating experiences in dealing with our schools or the school system. I feel lucky that my husband is a teacher and knows the system and I am a committed mom with interest and educational experience and some above average advocacy skills, so we are able to forge a path that we think at least kind of works for our DS.

But, in thinking about the last year and half, I have had some very desparate feeling moments where I just think OMG these people have no idea what my kid needs (and even if they do in some cases they don't want to do it). The most appealing part of DYS for me is the advocate - someone that can say these people aren't crazy - their kid has special needs - when we feel like we can't say it ourselves or that we are not taken seriously.

Having said that, I think one of the next best things is a forum like this because whether your kid has DYS scores or not, if you are here you have had some of those frustrating or desparate experiences.

Originally Posted by Deonne
    But, in thinking about the last year and half, I have had some very desparate feeling moments where I just think OMG these people have no idea what my kid needs (and even if they do in some cases they don't want to do it).
    I feel like my DS's 2nd grade teacher, but I have to say it "More Details" - what happened that made your feel desperate? What happened that made your think 'OMG'? What have you seen your kid do that makes you think that the folks have no idea what he needs?

Start a journal, with a timeline, document a bit more than you think you need to.

Start up a new thread in 'Advocacy' and start telling your story. What did you notice, what did you try, what worked? what didn't?

Each of these kids has really individual needs - close observation tells more than IQ numbers can. The numbers back you up, but the detail point towards a solution.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

C
    C
    Dottie, you are correct, I had I typo. The overall verbal was 129. (overall was 138.).

Grinity, thanks for clearing that up for me. When I was reading qualification page I was confused with the WJ-III Ach and WJ-III Cong (and could not figure out how our numbers worked.).

Also, we had our son tested to help deal with emotional issues (basically asynchronous development). Since we already had the scores, I thought it would be nice to qualify for YSP.

What all you have said is very true. I expect reading these forums and getting advice from others that have been through similar experiences will very helpful.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful advice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM