Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #91779 12/30/10 04:34 AM
    OP Offline
    Hi, Ds10 has been going bonkers over the flip-notes program on his nintendo DSi. It was apparently free, though he only just started using it. There is a website where he can upload his creations and download others' work.
    He just loves it, but is thinking about other options, more color, etc., as it is a bit limited.

I looked at PENCIL, and thought this seemed pretty great, just a straight-forward 2d animation software, a bit like the SCRATCH program without the programming. (He liked scratch due to his interest in animation, but not yet interested in fiddling with the programming aspect).
    Please let me know if you have recommendations for other similar programs (don't mind paying a bit, but less $ is prob. better for me. )
    Also, any ideas for hardware that would allow for drawing on his pc. He likes the DS because he can use the stylus...my sister recommends this one, but other options are always helpful: Intuos 4 Pen and Tablet for pc

Is there some kind of software that lets you videotape yourself or an animal moving and edit in a drawing and replace yourself in the video, making the drawing animated? I thought I saw something like that in a Best Buy once. But I could never find that box again.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    Ds is using something like that called 'photo dogo'....he takes pictures of himself and then plays some kind of martial arts game. Not the same, but similar idea...

V
    V
    Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm also trying to find a program like flip notes for the PC that would allow my DS11 to do more detailed drawings for his animation.

He loves flip notes on his DSi and has made some really great animations. He tried out Scratch over the weekend, and liked it pretty well, but I think he would prefer something that is more drawing based like flip notes. Chris1234, is your DS happy with Pencil?

We are planning to get him a tablet and stylus for Christmas so he can draw easily onto the PC (haven't researched which brand yet, so ideas are welcome there too).

Last edited by Verona; 12/06/11 03:55 PM.
    A
    A
    If you go with a stylus and iPad, there is a fun animation app that is $5:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-desk-for-ipad/id409124087?mt=8

V
    V
    Thanks ABQmom. That looks fun.

When I said tablet, maybe I was using the wrong word . . I meant an accessory that plugs into the PC to replace the mouse (kind of a drawing screen). I think this would be less expensive than an ipad.
    This is the kind of tablet I'm thinking of:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/graphicstablets.htm

Last edited by Verona; 12/06/11 04:41 PM.
    A
    A
    No, those are called tablets, too. We've got a Bamboo Fun.

One notable downside - the pens are easy to lose, and pricey to replace. DD isn't allowed to use ours, having lost the $30 stylus once.

A
    A
    Are you using Mac or PC? I know we have software that allows our trackpad to track sensitivity, meaning the pressure of the stylus changes how dark/thick the lines appear. If you have a Mac, I'll check with my daughter and see what it is. It would keep you from having to buy a plug-in tablet.

V
    V
    ABQMom: We have a PC. We don't have a trackpad, only a mouse. DS will probably eventually get a laptop of his own and I was thinking he could plug the graphics tablet into that.

AlexsMom: $30 is expensive for a stylus! Maybe I'll have to tie it to the computer. My son is ADHD-in and I can't tell you how many styluses (styli?) he has lost for his DSi. Do you like the Bamboo Fun? It looks like the Intuos is better than Bamboo for doing detailed drawing, but its quite a bit more expensive. One comment I read said that using a Bamboo was like drawing with a crayon and an Intuos was like drawing with a fine tipped marker.

Last edited by Verona; 12/06/11 07:22 PM.
    A
    A
    I don't use it myself, and honestly, it has not gotten much use by anyone else. DD really enjoyed it for the week before the stylus disappeared, but she didn't ask for it to be replaced, either. That said, neither she nor anyone else in our family is a dedicated artist.

Google for "flipnotes for PC" comes up with these as PC analogs:
    http://animation.about.com/od/referencematerials/a/freesoftware.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM