Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
    Kimck, I just moved you from my #1 vote. Dandy, you must mean Lucy-fer because that's where you learned to talk like that. All hail Dandy. King of grand central station, Train Locker C-18.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    8. Spend a whole practice playing as fast as he possibly can, while still maintaining some small resemblance to the original piece.

I wonder if Jane's son is just naturally quick. For people who want to move quickly, slowing down can increase the difficulty associated with something.

By way of example, sometimes my skating teacher or other people at the rink comment on how fast I go when I jump. Not because I'm dangerous or super-good, but because most adult skaters are more conservative than I am, so I stand out a bit. For me, speed and height are fun, and are a major draw of skating. If I slow down at the wrong time, I'm more likely to mess up. Alternatively, when I'm zooming through a waltz jump, I can fly! It's great!

I wonder if the speed thing might be fun and/or natural for Jane's son, too. Jane, if you haven't fled this thread in horror, have you thought about giving him some short pieces that are meant to be played very fast?

Val

K
    K
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    Kimck, I just moved you from my #1 vote. Dandy, you must mean Lucy-fer because that's where you learned to talk like that. All hail Dandy. King of grand central station, Train Locker C-18.

LOL - it's ok. I thought Dandy's post was great too. And I employ very similar techniques to get practice done around here. 3 little kittens ask my 6 year old to do repetitions. Lego characters battle on our piano. We have a puppet we call "evil practice dragon". We have a staples easy button we push when the kids have mastered something - "That was easy!". laugh We're in with the bubble gum flavored toothpaste too.

Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    One thing I've always wondered about... Why music rather than art? Many people see it as a standard necessity that kids learn an instrument but very few people mandate drawing or dance lessons. Why is that?

Why the assumption that it is either or? Though my DD is only 4 she has a love for dance, drawing/art of many types, and the piano.

Of course kids can do both and many do. My question is why do we so often hear the suggestion of music lessons as a way to teach gifted kids discipline but we rarely hear drawing lessons advocated in the same way? Is it just because there is a better infrastructure for music lessons or is there something else that motivates this?

Got it ... good question. Coming from an art background my guess is Music is a complex activity. They have to not only learn the notes but also beat which leads into math. Drawing is a more free form activity. Children will not necessarily have the ability to articulate their vision. And if drawing was taught with structure it would definitely lead to frustration. Creativity for dance and drawing/art is achievable but the requirements are less than music. (If that makes sense.) But ALL are important.

D
    D
    IMHO, music combines and develops:

--gross motor skills
    --fine motor skills
    --creativity / interpretive skills / intuition
    --history
    --perceiving and using part/whole relationships and abstract form
    --emotional awareness
    --awareness of/ quantification of time

(and probably more)

All the arts are good for this kind of multifaceted learning. But I think music is especially nice for its mix of abstractness and concreteness.

DeeDee

It's an interesting question, whether one can force a child to love the piano: sort of a Stockholm approach to music appreciation. I guess it's possible that the musical knowledge gained through "encouraged" practice might result in the ability to pick up other instruments a person winds up loving.

I just don't remember the last time I read about a musical genius who was forced to study music, or a particular instrument, despite lack of interest. I thought Beethoven was an example, but it appears that there's no support for the idea that he was forced to practice in misery. Thus it seems unlikely that there's a massive hothousing effect to be gotten by forced practice for the highly gifted, who tend to be stubborn by nature. Still, we're not all cut out to be music geniuses, and there's value for the rest of us in appreciating and playing music.

So I'm on the fence. I have been thinking about starting DS5 on piano lessons, but then again, he's asked (we have had a nice consumer Yamaha keyboard since he was an infant, and he's been trying out chords lately on his own).

I think that there is a strong but usually unspoken idea in American culture, at least, that playing music enhances math ability and perhaps other areas of general cognitive ability as well. I don't know if it's based on anything real, but would be interested to learn. Is it a sort of hothouser's meme, based on popularly hyped notions like the Mozart effect? It seems certain that music, which is like DeeDee says a complex activity with many things going for it, is better than sitting around picking one's nose for developing general cognitive ability, except for fine motor control of that one finger, and maybe developing a mental 3D model of the unseen.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    D
    I have a lot of thoughts on this issue, but not enough time--I did hear Yo Yo Ma interviewed and he said he hated practicing as a child. It doesn't seem to have scarred him!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I have a lot of thoughts on this issue, but not enough time--I did hear Yo Yo Ma interviewed and he said he hated practicing as a child. It doesn't seem to have scarred him!

I would be very cautious about generalizing based on the experience of child prodigies to kids who aren't prodigies. Decisions that make sense for a prodigious child may not make any sense for a child with different talents and needs.

P
    P
    CAMom - It is a safe bet that no matter what you do he will cry less as he gets older. My concern about the current system is that for perfectionist kids it is important to keep the stakes low of trying new things. If he knows every new activity is going to bring on those extreme feelings of despair and helplessness only solvable by other people that isn't an incentive to keep trying activities. If the solution every time is that adults force or push him to get through that further reinforces that he's pretty helpless. I'm wondering if more progress and success may be made in advance planning including creating a system by which he can take a break until he can get himself feeling calm and back on track.

Originally Posted by CAMom
    My parents very much "forced" me to learn.

So, I guess, not surprisingly we are both carrying on family traditions! As a kid I considered my activities my own. I recognized they were a gift in that they were expensive for the family, but I considered it my responsibility to make the most of the gift. I didn't want to parents present or in the middle of it. That would have spoiled it for me because activities were a place for independence, for developing relationships with teachers and teammates that were my own and for taking responsibility for my own learning. I can't imagine my parent being in the middle of it begging me to participate or threatening me. It would have erased what was the value of the activity.

I believe this is more of a cultural shift than a generational shift. Countries that are outpacing us in science and math have longer school days and years, compulsory tutoring, intense lessons and focus on education.

I agree there are significant cultural problems but I don't think more of the same is the solution. Kids do more activities than ever and more parents than ever are more involved in their kids' activities. A generation ago soccer moms weren't the norm. We had moms who were in the other room drinking coffee while their kids rode their bikes to the baseball field.

As for detox- an unrealistic request in my family.

IT pays the bills here too and we've chosen not to have electronics at the center of our home. It is an option, maybe not an appealing one to you, but it does exist as an option. The parents' occupation doesn't have to be the defining force behind the way a child spends his or her free time.

My D's violin teacher has been a violinst in the symphony for 40 years. My D was complaining to him about practicing. She loves to play, but doesn't like practicing. Her teacher admitted that, even after 40 years, he still doesn't like practicing.

I'm fairly sure he doesn't cry about it anymore, although I can't confirm that.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM