Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    I'm looking more for the physical answer. It doesn't hurt and it doesnt really bother me. I think it's kind of relaxing. Thanks for putting a name on it for me. Migraines do run in my family even though I don't get them, I guess that's all I get out of them. Cool.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    La Texican and aculady,

about migraines, I always thought I didn't get them although they run in the family, but a friend was telling me about painless migraines diagnosed by her Dr, and I thought it was weird, but I noticed that there were times when I had other migrane-like symptoms (like sensitivity noise/light) I tried taking painkiller, and that went away! I don't think it's a migrane per se, but I think it is related. It didn't even have to be a strong painkiller just paracetamol. Aculady, do you know anything about that?

See, how random is that wink

OP Offline
    Aye! LoL. No wonder I thought it was relaxing. It says there's a side effect of fatigue.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    As I was sitting in my classroom today looking at the mess I call a desk and the other one I call my "work station", I had to laugh because it suddenly occurred to me that although some of DD's organizational issues are due to her brain going too fast all the time to physically keep up with, she obviously is just following in my footsteps laugh Why do the obvious things take so long to become clear?

RobotMom #93607 01/26/11 09:31 PM
    I had the exact same reaction after months of telling DS to stop sticking his fingers in peoples faces - serious close talking issues which few preschoolers like - I kept wondering why he was doing it, till I finally caught myself wagging my finger at him as I informed him of some consequence. I had not noticed i was doing it but he had. Obviously it was what you do when trying to get people's attention!!! Oops!

DeHe

OP Offline
    I've been busy. Everybody been sick. We had to go to town anyway. Haven't slept because the babies are sick. I try to make a habit to stop and look at ds3 when he wants to show me something. He doesn't let me fake it either. Like he showed me a heart on the bottom of the teddy bears foot. Mom do you see this? "Oh that's a nice heart". Do you see this one? He asks, of the other foot. And I'm busy. "yes" without looking closely at the other foot. "mom. Do you see this one.". "yes.". I kept looking up, but it was couple times before I look closely to see there's no heart on the other foot. Stinker!

Anyway he came up with something the other day that I thought was great, according to the conversation I read on here about parents teaching kids to "look me in the eye". Well my son told his Mamma, "I need to see your face when I tell you something". While he was trying to tell me something. kinda backwards of the parents teaching the kids not to be rude.

Anyone who read my dilemma about the doll and the Teddy bear here's the update. We saw the HUGEST teddy bear in the grocery store. He hugged it and made it hug him back, yes, it's that big. I told him to carry it. We went to the toy section and looked at the dolls. I said well, you know I said I was going to get you a doll. Your dad said dolls are for just girls, Teddy Bears are for boys and girls. I'll get you this Teddy bear instead of that doll I promised. We'll look at the dolls for your sister. We looked and decided since we truly couldn't agree on a doll we'd let the sister get old enough to pick her own dolls out. Ds wanted a cool mechanical doll for baby dd, I wanted a simple doll as a keepsake when she's older. All plastic, no fabric. Because apparently fabric gets thin and rips after 20 years.

The important thing was to get him to stop interrupting me from feeding the baby. I did that by telling him. "the baby wants me to lay still while she nurses and she wants me to stop talking. Don't make me move, or don't make me talk. I'm going to stop talking now". It seems to be working.

J
    J
    When DS was very little and before we knew so much about his difficulties to get his attention and talk to him I used to place both hands on the side of his face and turn him to look at me, then once I had his full attention I could talk to him. Wasn't long before he would do the exact same thing to me when he wanted my attention smile

The doll one made me smile too. Promised him we would go shopping for a toy as a reward (for something? don't remember what) we went up and down the isles - he kept coming back to the dolls and I kept moving him on till he said no mum I've looked at everything and I want Tania. Tania? yes mum that doll, she's called Tania. To this day I have no idea where the name came from. So we bought Tania and he insisted on taking her out there and then and carrying her around the Mall. Bear in mind this NZ land of the macho male, we copped a lot of strange looks that day. She lasted a few years but I reckon when we got to school and she mysteriously dissappeared that DH got rid of her.

Ah sweet memories...

OP Offline
    Dear Hoosier Mamma, I wanted to mention that sometimes it's hard to find past threads in this forum. Someone once said the best way to do that is to type in the phrase or topic you're looking for + davidson forum into the google box rather than using the forum's search box. K.
    And congrats on your kind start to your school adventure!

OP Offline
    Jess. I pm'd you. You could answer me here or make me a P.M. if you want.
    smile cheers'/'

(that's a margarita smilicon) I just made it up.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM