Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #91631 12/28/10 01:38 PM
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    As I continue to wrap my head around DD's possible 2e situation, we signed her up for music lessons for her 4th birthday. I believe I read that music can be quite helpful for sensory processing disorders (Asperger's is a possibility).

DD hasn't started yet, but she went with me to sign up and got to bang the piano and the drum set. The school director signed her up for combo drums, piano and voice lessons, instead of the suzuki violin I went in for. lol She said lots of kids with autism spectrum disorders love music lessons. Will it just be fun for DD, or could music lessons help her with processing in general? (I'm okay with it being fun only!)

D
    D
    Seablue, I see lots of good for my DS (8, Asperger's) from music. He sings in a choir and dabbles nicely in piano; we will pick up an instrument more seriously in a year or two.

Choir is a good social activity. Performing also means he has to self-monitor (ie, is he singing loudly enough or too loudly; is he keeping his body where it is supposed to be; is he wiggling too much). That self-monitoring practice is worth a LOT to us.

There is also a sense of responsibility to the group that is really nice. For our kid, choir is also an area where he can feel he's contributing something to a greater good. He's good at it, it's fun, he loves performing, and it makes him feel he's accomplished something that benefits others.

I don't know what it's doing for his processing (speed or otherwise); but I think it's wholly a great thing to have in our lives.

DeeDee

A
    A
    I signed my youngest up for piano lessons at the age of 5 because he would sit for hours and pick out tunes from his imagination on our piano at home. He used a single finger from his left hand and a single finger from his right.

After 6 months of lessons, the teacher asked us to quit. She said that his ear and musicality were quite developed but that he couldn't get his little fingers to move the way they needed to in order to play correctly, and she didn't want him becoming frustrated over a developmental skill that was hindering his progress.

It was 3 1/2 more years before we had a diagnosis of dysgraphia. Reading music is still difficult for him, so for now we've purchased a keyboard where he composes and picks out popular tunes by ear. I am hoping with time to add formal lessons back into the mix so that he has more tools at his disposal to explore the music in his head.

If you've found an environment where the instructor is familiar with the challenges of 2E, you are so far ahead of things. All the best and hoping it's a great experience for you both.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DeeDee and ABQ, I love your stories.

DD's aunt and uncle with Asperger's are musicians/composers, piano (aunt) and piano/drums (uncle). I hear DD's uncle hated mandatory piano lessons, fought tooth and nail, then went back to it on his own terms and became a composer (what your DS's teacher was anticipating, ABQ?).

A bunch of us on both sides of the family sing. I was in choir from 4th - 12th grade and loved it, so I know exactly what you are talking about, DeeDee, regarding self regulation.

We attended a free mommy and me music class today and DD was bouncing off the walls. In between times, she was experiencing the music with her whole body. We are also going to sign her up for dance and/or gymnastics. I understand acting is a great tool for Aspies, for social scripting. She loves acting!

In general, DD is full on Arts Girl.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM