Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #88351 10/30/10 07:13 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    There is a proposed new charter school which has submitted an application to one of the semi-local districts here in N. Colorado. It would be a good 30-45 minute commute for us depending on the location they select.

My understanding in CO is that public schools cannot "discriminate" based on test scores and, while this school is billing itself as for gifted (including PG and 2e), their website seems to bear that out with a note that: "As an open-enrollment, K-8 school, Skyview welcomes all students who enroll. Skyview specializes in high ability and high potential learners and will provide a differentiated, rigorous model of gifted education without any academic entrance requirements."

Their web address, should you want to look at it, is: http://www.skyviewcharter.org/index.html

Would you consider this type of school? I have to admit to being leery about being involved in a start-up charter having done that once before (it was a mess). I am considering it for dd10 who will be a 6th grader next year, who has some very high WISC-IV subtest scores (99th+) and some lower ones and who is a very erratic achiever.

S
    S
    I don't know anything about that one, but want to point out that there is another new charter that opened this year elsewhere in CO with a nearly identical name http://www.skyviewacademy.org/ , just so that no one gets confused (and to make things even more confusing, I think there's a high school someplace else in CO with the same name).

I have no advice. That seems like an awfully long commute for you.

B
    B
    Hi- we are going to go for this as one option for DD6 just to see- the price tag of our other options make this pretty desirable. I am nervous about it too but I heard it is being formed out of the closure of Rocky Mountain in the same area.

While they can't technically discriminate in enrollment- we learned this at Westgate too, they can set the standard. It is a less nice and more cumbersome process to weed students out who "don't fit" but I think this is the only way charters can do it.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Unfortunately, St. Vrain denied their charter last week. It doesn't sound positive for them actually opening although it does sound like they are considering an appeal.

M
    M
    I heard through a friend (who has a child going into 6th) that Broomfield Academy is going to expand through 8th grade. They have a large GT population and a strong program. It might be an option for dd10. She told me they are planning to have 6th grade in the fall, and add 7th and 8th in following years. I don't see it on their website yet, but the parent told me that they have had parent meetings at the school to announce it, and plan to talk publicly about it in coming months. Has anyone else heard about this?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    That sounds vaguely familiar although I can't recall where I heard that. Their tuition is over $10K/yr, though which is beyond our budget.

M
    M
    My friend doesn't have a large income and apparently receives some tuition assistance so that her child can attend. Might be worth asking about. My husband checked it out on their website just now.

B
    B
    All- I have heard that Mackintosh Academy is opening a Boulder branch for 2011-2012. Info sessions are in January and I decided to sign up. Might look into this. Yep, Skyview told me they were appealing.

We had DD5 in Broomfield Academy for 1 year- Kindergarten. They are going to expand to 8th grade- we got an email last week. I am meeting with their new principal tomorrow- can PM anyone if you want my report or feedback from K year.

M
    M
    Yes, I'd be interested in any feedback from BA, K last year. madsdad

M
    M
    I heard from a friend I know who was at the Mack Dec meeting that they are needing 60 kids to open in the fall, if they can find an affordable property.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM