Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #9049 02/17/08 09:29 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son needed to read "Gregor the Overlander" for his book club. We couldn't find the book at the library, but we did borrow the audiobook. So I got to listen as well, and I want to tell you that it is a great story! It does start rather slowly, but once things start happening, it is quite enthralling. I liken it to a modern day Narnia book, but without the religious overtone. I love Narnia, BTW, but wanted to make it clear that this is not a Christian story. As we didn't have the print copy, I can't really say what level it is bets for, but I am sure there will be some indication if you look it up on amazon.

Anyone else have a good book to recommend?

Lorel #9060 02/17/08 11:35 AM
    Renaissance Learning puts it at a 4.8 reading level, middle grades interest level. I'll see if it's available at our library.

GS8 just recommended 'The Phantom Tollbooth'. He started 'The Chronicles of Narnia' last fall, but I think the small print was very tiresome on his eyes. He's started to pick it up again.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 02/17/08 11:38 AM.
    The Phantom Tollbooth is amazing
    A Wrinkle in Time series
    Anne of Green Gables series (my personal favorites - I own everything the author ever wrote)
    The Westing Game (really good figuring out a puzzle type of book)
    Bridge to Teribithia
    Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series

You probably know all of these, but they are all such fantastic books I just had to mention them. Actually I could just go on and on - I love to read! smile

Ghost has been in love lately with this series:
    http://www.amazon.com/Uglies-Boxed-...mp;s=books&qid=1203279146&sr=8-6
    He has just finished book number 4 (Perfect). Half of the girls from his school are borrowing his books to read, as there is a huge waiting list at the school library. I thought this to be more of a girly book, but he has thorougly enjoyed it.

While writing about books, I have a question. What do you think about Lord of the Flies? Is a 13 year old (almost :-) too young?

Ania #9076 02/17/08 01:48 PM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My kids have read all of these and enjoyed them, with the exception of The Westing Game, which ds tried but didn't care for, Ann of Green Gables, and the Uglies. Thanks for the recommendation for the Uglies- I am intrigued by the premise. I'd seen it at the library but thought it was about high school cliques.

dd 7 has read our poor Narnia books to pieces. I'll have to by a new set for my youngest. We're all looking forward to seeing the next Narnia movie this year!

Lorel #9079 02/17/08 02:40 PM
    Lorel - Not care for The Westing Game???? What??? LOL! I loved it as a kid but my DS and I read it together and discussed it as we went or I don't think he would have enjoyed it as much either. I enjoyed re-reading it as an adult because there are so many nuances that you miss as a kid (well at least I did).

I haven't read Lord of the Flies so I don't know what age is appropriate for that. But I am sure someone else can help you there.

The GT program at school is currently reading The White Mountain. I haven't read that either but the kids really seem to like it and the premise is intriguing. smile

CFK #9091 02/18/08 04:28 AM
    I enjoyed "The Giver" and "City of Ember" and the "Gregor" books which DS also did in 4th grade. Now, in 7th grade, they are studing "The Giver" and I'm curious to see if, in the end, he'll admit to learning anything from the experience, or enjoying the group discussion.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    CFK-

My son is 11, and his reading level is adult and has been for years. Like me though, he will read a good story at any level, and will frequently read his little sister's picture books! I like that. My 7 yo dd also reads at an adult level. But good books are good books, and we're not fussy about what level they are.

Now for a digression about me:

When I was in 3rd grade, I tried to take out a book rated for grade six from the school library. The librarian said that I wasn't allowed to read above my grade level! My mom went to bat for me and I was then officially permitted to read any book in the library. That was fine, until I tried to take out a book of fairy tales rated BELOW my grade level. Heaven forbid! The cranky librarian embarrassed me into giving up, and my poor inner child still carries that sense of shame!

I think it is good to challenge ourselves and our children some of the time, but not necessarily all of the time.

Lorel #9093 02/18/08 06:48 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Lord of the Flies, The Giver, those dystopian books are not too tough in terms of vocab, but they may cause emotional turmoil for an especially sensitive kid. My son read The Giver this year and I think he was ready for it in a way he wasn't a year ago. His reading ability hasn't changed dramatically, but he has grown more mature and I think he appreciated the message much more.

My dd is less sensitive than my son this way, but I don't think I will prompt her to read these books until she is nine or ten.

Lorel #9098 02/18/08 07:42 AM
    I'm a big believer in the "let 'em try it, but put it down" school of thought when it comes to books. I still use that philosophy when I'm reading. Life is too short to read a book that bores/troubles/annoys you, and there are too many books out there to read. (I think you are of this school of thought, too, Lorel, no? I think I remember that from a past thread.) I've started "War and Peace" three times, but I never get very far into it. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that the book simply isn't my cup of tea, and it's one classic that this recovering lit major will never read. C'est la vie!

Anyway, I think having things like "Lord of the Flies" available is a good idea, as long as it's accepted family practice for the child to walk away from the book if it's not working for him/her.

And BTW, shame on that librarian for browbeating you out of the fairy tales, Lorel! I still love to read fairy tales! They're one of those basic, fundamental story forms that appeal to something primal in us. Check out the front covers of Cosmo and other such magazines for women--it's a rare cover that doesn't refer to a fairy tale at least in passing! I LOVED teaching fairy tales when I taught children's lit to ed majors because they apply so neatly to so many life issues:

Roommate can't stop dating guys who need "fixing"? Read the pre-Disney version of "Beauty and the Beast" to her. (I had college students jumping out of their chairs about this one!)

Grass-is-always-greener syndrome got you in it's grasp? "Cinderella," complete with the stepsisters cutting off parts of their feet to fit into the fur slippers, is the story for you. (Glass slippers was a mistranslation, BTW.)

Feeling like you're trapped and there's no reason to be nice to the people around you? Read the Russian "Baba Yaga" and see what comes to those who help others.

I think everyone should read fairy tales regularly, especially the pre-Disney, not cleaned up variety that still have all the blood and fear left in them. They're not for sissies, and they're very satisfying! laugh

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread...

Kriston
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM