Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    http://www.corestandards.org/

I've been reading about educational reform lately, and it seems that part of the new changes is a public, nation-wide program to create uniform standards of what students should be learning in each grade.

This greater transparency in the goals of education might come in very hand for parents who are trying to demonstrate that their kids have already met the current goals for the grade that they are in and need to be accelerated.

Originally Posted by http://www.corestandards.org/
    The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy.

What do you think?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I think it's a big step in the right direction, and especially helpful for parents moving to other states.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    T
    T
    Wow, how did I not even know about this??? It seems that my state has already adopted this, and I didn't even know it. I see this as a huge step for two reasons - first of all, as Grinity said, it will be helpful in determining just how advanced a child is. Takes some of the subjectivity out of it. But as part of a military family, I like it even more. I've always been afraid that all of the moving around will leave gaps in my childrens' educations. If everyone has the same standards, I think it will make moving from state to state a lot easier on kids.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I agree that the state to state variation is crazy making, especially for military families. It also bugs me what schools tell parents that the work 'one grade level' above. Above what?
    This is a great step towards transparancy.
    Yippee!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years