Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    DeHe #90037 11/23/10 06:56 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    DS will be 5 in February. We are doing a magic kit, junior erector set and a spy glove, ....

I got DD10 a magic set around that age. He still does little performance with his lovely sister assistant. We have added little pieces to this set over the years and gotten some books from the library. This tends to renew interest. He is good at card tricks.

Hope you have just as much fun with it.

T
    T
    Anybody purchased the Mind Flex game for their child or heard any reviews on it?

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I got DD10 a magic set around that age. He still does little performance with his lovely sister assistant. We have added little pieces to this set over the years and gotten some books from the library. This tends to renew interest. He is good at card tricks.Hope you have just as much fun with it.

Love the sister assistant part!! Great idea about adding stuff to renew interest, also I guess you can add more complex tricks. We went with one for a 7-8 year old which might be a little old, but I suspect that is due to reading the information which isn't an issue for us, at least I hope thats the case because the ones for younger were so limited! DS has been wanting one for awhile, so I hope it fits his imagined idea!

DeHe

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Dehe- I wonder if your set has the magic hat? We would stuff lots of beannie baby stuffed animals in the secret hiding spot and pull out the rabbit last and joke along the way there is something wrong with the magic hat.

ok back to presents...

When my daughter was around 10 or 11, I bought her a "practice head" from a cosmetology department. Even though she was gifted, she started enjoying hair styles. She was the only child who had one and she loved it - only about $25.

Strange gift, but she has gotten her use from it.

S
    S
    So... we are actually thinking of getting the Wii as a whole family gift. I think we will still get a couple other things and thankfully the kids grandparents asked us to shop for them and they will give us the money (yay amazon! I can have it shipped to their house so the can wrap them and the kids still get things they like). Anyhow, so with the other presents DD3 wholeheartedly loves everything. So she is quite easy to get things for. Probably more art supply stuff and pretend play things (I could wrap up a set of sticks and the girl would be happy). : ) DS6..we got a bunch of the mindware books that are on clearance now. He loves Logic Links and codebreakers and the others are at a GREAT price so we couldn't help it. Also, thinking of having the grandparents get the Zometool creator 1 kit. Anyone have that? Do your kids enjoy it? I am also trying to find DS a cool geoboard to play around with. Haven't found a lot of good ones as I am looking for at least an 11X11 and want a circular one too. We are staying away from all the awesome games as we have WAY too many. Also going to get DS6 some more of the Basher books probably, or other science related books. He loved the Basher Elements books so I think he will like the others too. Love hearing what everyone else is getting!

Legos, what to chouse. DS8 loves them, but now the only ones of interest cost way to much. 2 years ago we purchased the Eifle tower, he built in in two days and loved it, it still is on a dresser in his room. Last year we did Mind Storms, fun for about a week, but did not really take off. This year I have looked at the Melinium Falcon. DS would love it, But $499 is way to much for another build in 3 to 4 days and put aside. Are their any other building type toy ideas that have worked well?

Dominos are a simple suggestion, but kids can really get into making mazes with them. My daughter would add other things to them to make cool mazes. We'd watch Youtube vids of really interesting domino mazes.

While she enjoyed specialty building toys, she had more freedom with basic Legos and dominos.

I brought dominos to a Cadette Girl scout meeting - 11-13 year olds and showed them the vids and they completely loved making mazes. One never knows what they will like at that age???

Originally Posted by CourtneyB
    Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    Hey, anyone know what you call those word puzzles such as the following?

XQQQQQQQME
    (excuse me)

Or

CCCCCCC
    (the Seven Seas)

My kids saw some recently and really liked them. I was thinking of getting them a book of them but can't figure out what to search on.

Thanks!

I've seen things like that in the MindWare catalog. They have 3 books called Word Winks which I think are what you are looking for. Those were always so much fun smile

ETA: It looks like they call them visual wordplay puzzles (also visual verbal puzzles)

I've seen them called "brain teasers" and some other names. Here are some from Critical Thinking, on sale right now:

http://www.criticalthinking.com/searchBykeyword.do?catalog=p&searchKey=063&sale_only=true

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Has anybody tried the Singer sewing machine for kids?

I'm thinking of this for my DD8. It has a finger protector cover around the needle.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM