Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #89796 11/17/10 07:45 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi all-
    I homeschool DS9 through a virtual academy and his results came back. I don't have him at the level his tests came back at. It looks like I might need to go up another year and algebra is back in discussion. While I do have a variety of extra subjects that he does enjoy, the core ones look like I still have him low. Did anyone take this test and make significant changes? I still have a tough time remembering he's a bit different and tend to go lower because I'm cautious of not wanting to push. He says it's better at home but it's still 'eh'. I guess I'm looking for some to share if they used this information to take bigger steps-

I didn't homeschool, but I have heard from lots of parents who did homeschool to provide more challenge having to wash the egg off their face and take giant steps forward from time to time.

I think the MAP tests are generally very good, and I would encourage you to take them as a hypothesis and try them out. Maybe not to invest a lot until you've given a few things a try?

I wish I had an exact BTDT to share!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I'm not a homeschooler either but I use the MAP information for afterschooling. One of the things that's helped me is to understand the MAP results are presented with a range of skills and concepts to enhance, develop, and introduce. The skills and concepts to enhance means there's a 73% probability the students would correctly answer items measuring these concepts and skills, develop is 50% probability, and introduce is 27% probability. Since many of us deal with perfectionism, our typical expectation is set to operate around 95-100% probability. I think this may explain some of the disconnect between what we think our children are ready to learn and what the MAP results indicate they're ready to learn.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks Inky. DS's advisory teacher only had scores and the rest of report will come in a couple of weeks. I was trying to figure out some of this in advance because I have some curriculum to purchase. I looked at a couple of algebra texts this weekend and I know he's not there yet. We'll wait and look at some russian math or other interesting things that are more pre algebra if he arrives at algebra, next fall, and isn't quite ready yet.

Thanks to you as well, Grinity. Always a positive perspective!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations