Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Thanks Dottie!

Yes, my DD is a young 5th grader, she always the youngest in the class until this year when we moved her to a new school there are kids who just turned 9 in 5th grade!!
    My DD started Kindergarten early when she was 4,5yrs.

I know DYS program it's a different ball game I would say and I checked the application earlier, wow it seems like a lot of work.

My DD IQ is 145 and she did achievement test, I have details somewhere..

But the thing is she has not yet have a spectacular accomplishment or win a competition, I think SCAT result is one of her big accomplishment so far.
    So I'm not sure if we want to go there....

We are looking foward to participate Johns Hopkins Youth Talented Program has to offer...:)

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    What are the benefits of taking the SCAT? Maybe this has been asked before, but just curious. Is it just for children to take online courses? and if so, are kids taking these online courses in addition to schooling? With school DS6 already barely has time to do the EPGY program...don't think he has done it at all since school started.

I'm sure someone will have a better answer to this, but for us, honestly, it was just curiosity. We always knew our son was very bright and way ahead of other kids in his classes - but I still remember being told by his Kindergarten teacher that "while he is extremely advanced, and reading at a 4th/5th grade level, he will level off and the other kids will catch up to him." So, that kind of threw us. But, then in 3rd grade they all had to take a test of cognitive skills (TCS/2) for possible entrance into an after school advanced learning program and we then realized just how bright he might be, as he scored the highest score possible, a 141+ (though, we weren't told this until 4th grade). So, while he's had that program and a TLC program once a week at school, and he was accepted to a Gifted Child Society by us, we've just been exploring other options for him - and when the invite for the CTY program came along, we just decided to see how he would do. He qualified for verbal and we may consider doing a course, but not until summer as he has so much on his plate right now between school, violin, scouts, etc...

N
    N
    DD took the SCAT for the first time last year. The official score report that we received in the mail came with a bulletin that included bar graphs with data for the talent search participants in each grade (using the data from the previous year).

I'm assuming that we'll get the same thing this year.

B
    B
    DS took SCAT (2nd grade) in March this year. The test day was on Saturday and I got online scores on Monday. I received official scores and graphs by mail about one month after. The invitation of award was received in late August and award ceremony was held in October.

N
    N
    Thanks for posting the link, LittleCherub.

The data is actually better than what was contained in the mailings. Now, they give you the actual percentile for each scaled score. Still annoying and misleading that they break the data down by gender, but at least it's more information.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by LittleCherub
    Seems instead of mailing out a booklet with talent search scoring data, CTY now provides a link to online pdf files.

http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/scatdata.html

Thank you for posting this! My son received the hard copy scores from CTY today and I was surprised that there was no information in there regarding how he did against his 5th grade peers who also took the test. Just as an fyi for anyone waiting, our experience with the score process was surprisingly quick - he took the test 11/5, online scores were available 11/8 and the paper scores arrived 11/16.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Just thought I'd drag out my old post and update it - my son, who just turned 11, wanted to take a Computer class with John Hopkins but missed qualifying in Math by a few points. So, he asked if he could retake it - and boy, am I glad we did!

November 2010 Scores
    Verbal raw: 38
    Verbal scaled: 459
    Verbal percent: 79

Quantative raw: 31
    Quantative scaled: 459
    Quantative percent: 58

April 2011 Scores
    Verbal raw: 41
    Verbal scaled: 460
    Verbal percent: 80

Quantative raw: 40
    Quantative scaled: 482
    Quantative percent: 90

He brought his Math up from 58th percentile to 90th! (I'm sure 4 more months of Math in school helped too)

I could tell he was slightly thrown off by the experience at Prometric, which had him a little unsettled - so, it was much better this time around as he knew what to expect. So, sometime during the summer (as he has to be 6th grade), he'll be taking the Scratch programming class...

Jen

B
    B
    Originally Posted by consmom2000
    So, sometime during the summer (as he has to be 6th grade), he'll be taking the Scratch programming class...

Jen

Congrats to your son on his SCAT improvement. Regarding Scratch, since it is free, I suggest just installing it and letting him play with it. My son has picked it up with zero help from me.
    Of course, a class may help him learn faster and in a more organized way.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Congrats to your son on his SCAT improvement. Regarding Scratch, since it is free, I suggest just installing it and letting him play with it. My son has picked it up with zero help from me.
    Of course, a class may help him learn faster and in a more organized way.

Thanks for that info - I honestly don't know much about it, but now I think I'll look into it so he can play around with it and go from there!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM