Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by EandCmom
    Isa - thanks for the link!

He does his exercises 20 minutes each day on the computer and then for 30-45 minutes once a week at the doctor's office.

I will show him some of the games on that link and see if they help. Some of them appear to be similar to things he is already doing but some of them look different. Thank you! smile

Hi EandCmom,

does he spend the entire 20 minutes in one exercise or does he several exercises each lasting a few minutes?

And which of the games appear to be similar to the ones your DS is doing with his therapy?

I ask because at the time being I am doing (as in 'constructing') the therapy for DD4.5 and I am interested in 'success stories' to give me ideas.

OP Offline
    Grinity - my first thought was "fear?? I'm not afraid of anything" but after consideration that isn't right. I am afraid for him as he gets older not doing well in school due to his writing issues. I remember all the gazillions of papers I wrote in high school and college and I write for a living now (not as an author) so writing is hugely important in my life and I guess coming from that perspective I am afraid of his not doing well in that area. He speaks extremely well so I am not worried about that but I do worry about his struggling as he gets older with all the written work that I know is coming. Maybe I'm just borrowing trouble by worrying now.

My father has always said my DS could be the next Steven Spielberg (no prejudice there!) because of his fantastic ideas and imagination and you are right, I don't need to let the lack of writing keep him from pursuing his talents to the fullest.

Speed? Amazing. I know what I want to say instantly. What you mostly see is me 'just letting it flow' with a tiny bit of edition on the fly.

This describes my DS exactly! He never has to think about what he is going to say - it just comes out of his mouth immediately. Honestly, I am impressed by this ability as I tend to mull over what I am going to say before I say it.

Please please please don't let spelling, grammar and punctuation be the bottle neck to expression - your son is still so young!

You are so right and I will start doing my best to see the forest rather than the trees in this area. The spelling, etc. will come with time (hopefully).

Dottie said :While the spelling/convention issues don't seem directly related to visual issues, they could be "delayed fallout" from the previous issues. He could be a bit behind based on what he's ever been able to fully process, kwim? I'm guessing he'll take off soon, thanks to his visual remediation.

The spelling issues don't seem to be related unless it is because his working memory is so taken up with trying to write on the line, etc. that he can't remember to do the other. But I really have no idea. Hopefully he will take off soon - I hate seeing him struggle.

Isa - he has 9 different therapies that he does and he does 4 a day for 5 minutes each. We are getting ready to run out the door to therapy right now but I will get back to you on which ones are similar to the ones in the link you sent me.

I so appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to this. It is something I worry about and it is something I want to help him with. I want both my children to excel as much as they can and use their talents to the fullest. Thanks for the help! smile

EandCmom,
    Way to go! You'll get there.
    Spelling is simple:
    If he can spot mistakes you make while looking over your shoulder typing, if he can perform at spelling test at grade level, he just needs time. If he doesn't - he just needs spellchecker. Either way it's a nonissue. By the time he is in high school, he will be using spellchecker anyway. You are allowed to proof his papers in high school as well. It's a 5 minute job.

Keep that 2 to 1 ratio in your mind, and make sure twice as much emphasis is placed on developing strengths as remediating weaknesses, and he'll grow up strong!

Time does amazing things.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations