Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #89136 11/08/10 04:56 PM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DS8 took the OLSAT today and informed me that he didn't finish (I think the three last questions) because it found one a bit tricky. No one myself included thought to tell him that any answer is better than nothing - he wanted to get everything right. Does anyone know if this happens a lot? He needs 96th percentile for the GT program and now I'm quietly freaking out, and really needs to be in it for both social and academic reasons. His WISC iv scores are great.

lulu #89156 11/08/10 07:57 PM
    G
    G
    Well maybe he only got three wrong then! When ds 5 took the test the instructions I gave him were that he had to answer all the questions and finish the whole test. It took him longer than all the other kids because the tester had to give him three breaks (in K they are tested individually). When they came out she looked exhausted and he looked like he was going to climb the walls. I asked the tester how he did and why he took so long and she explained that ds complained he was bored. She asked him if he wanted to stop twice but both time he said no and on the second time told her that his mommy said that the test was boring but he had to suck it up and finish it. He restated my words verbatim and I was embarrassed but it got the job done. =)

Last edited by graceful mom; 11/08/10 09:14 PM.
    lulu #89475 11/12/10 09:36 AM
    P
    P
    I seem to remember DD11 having this issue the first time she took it. Kids in AL take it every year with other standardized tests. The first time she took it she really overthought a lot of questions and had trouble finishing and it caused her score to be low (for her). Last year, however, she came home after taking it and said she "got it", meaning she understood what to do with the questions. She was right because her score was enough to get her into the gifted program after previously being denied services (they don't accept outside testing).

I am in no way an expert, but the OLSAT seems to be a strange animal. DD learned from experience how to take the test, I guess. IMO, that makes it a less reliable instrument.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    I am in no way an expert, but the OLSAT seems to be a strange animal. DD learned from experience how to take the test, I guess. IMO, that makes it a less reliable instrument.
    I agree that it has a whole host of problems, but ability to learn how to take the test is something that can occur with any ability test. You can raise your IQ scores even with a lot of practice taking IQ tests although you aren't likely raising your intelligence. It isn't recommended that kids take the same tests over and over or too frequently for that very reason. The way your school system is handling it seems rife for a lot of overidentification of giftedness.

There is also a lot of unfortunate test prep going on and I imagine that tests like the OLSAT would be easier to hothouse or prep for than a more controlled test like an IQ test.

P
    P
    I agree. It does present problems for overidentification, although they use it in conjunction with other factors. The OLSAT is only a screener. Fortunately, it worked in our favor. Outside WISC testing gave her a 140 verbal and 136 FSIQ, but the school wouldn't accept it. There are definitely assessment problems here.

lulu #89488 11/12/10 10:53 AM
    C
    C
    Just to be clear, I wasn't meaning to imply that your dd was "overidentified" so to speak. It just occured to me that it could have come across that way. My dd10 also tested much lower on a group test (CogAT) than the WISC-IV.

P
    P
    Oh, no! I didn't take it that way. Thanks, though.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM