Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 56 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    I too had one of those librarian stories - at 10 I was reading Harlequin romances!! The librarian refused to let me have them on my junior card - so my dad took them out for me and told her there is nothing she can't read if she wants to - I was so pleased with his defense - until he said - it may be crap but if she wants to read it she can!! LOL. Its so funny now to realize that my dad didn't care that the material might be inappropriate - but it did bug him that he considered it drivel!!! I liked the happy endings, which was funny because I wasn't into princess or anything like that!

DeHe

Love it! I was not an early reader but more of a stubborn one. It was my grandmother who was an avid reader that pushed the topic. Every summer she would insist on library time (so she could get another book) and quiet time where we were to read in the afternoon. I, of course, rebelled BUT eventually started reading thanks to "The Secret Garden". Once I did I was hooked. I must have been about 7 at the time. I quickly went through the Judy Blume books and others similar and found myself drawn to cheesy romance novels. I read so many of them it was pathetic. Shockingly enough, my family didn't stop my interest. As long as I was reading, that was all that mattered. Before leaving high school I had tired of the simple plots and hungered for more complex books. The more twist and turns the better.

As for school librarians: my grandmother was a primary teacher at the school and her close friend was the school librarian. There weren't too many obstacles in the way. Yet, as I stated: I was not big on reading early on but my cousin was an early reader and the school bent over backwards to provide for him. Primary school was grades 1st through 3rd grade and I remember being in 3rd grade and him in 2nd grade. He would come to our class to read and even that wasn't enough advancement for him. Most of the time he was helping the teacher teach the advanced group. His parents were very anti-grade acceleration so he stayed within his respected class through graduation.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    There are folks in this world who will excersize any power they get. Sad you were at the other end of it, but happy she did relent.

I would like to think that the librarian meant well, but was misguided. Our school district just came out with a policy that large groups of kids will not be accelerated in math but will instead be kept in heterogeneous groups because the high school math teachers complained that even the accelerated students were arriving unprepared. I think that has more to do with the Everyday Math curriculum than any disadvantages of accelerating. I don't think the district is intentionally exercizing their power to disadvantage gifted kids, but doing what they think is best and responding to parents of kids who complained that their kids were being pushed too hard. Maybe same situation with the librarian who hasn't seen too many kids who could handle that level of material and was trying to prevent "frustration".

Even if the student could not read the book, why stifle the curiosity? The only reason I can think of not giving a student a book is unsuitable content. In that case, the parents should be asked if the book is okay.

My daughter read a few books in elementary school that had a relationship with a little kissing. She has since reread the book and said that she understood the rest of the book, but the relationship part was over her head - now in 8th grade, she gets it.

I think less and less students are prepared and that is a huge problem. Many just forget almost as soon as they have learned the material. I have no answers on that one.

Gifted students retain knowledge and that should be accepted.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM