Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hello -

DS6 has recently made some progress with his reading and is also beginning to write. He had an assignment to write his autobiography and had lots of questions about spellings. He has always been very into words and language so I am thinking he would enjoy having his own dictionary beyond the "my first dictionary" type. The one I have from college is massive, not visually appealing and nearly 20 years old.

Here is the dilemma. After perusing Amazon I see there are well illustrated early elementary dictionaries (Age 4-8); those aimed at middle schoolers (age 9-12); and then young adult.

I think I have it narrowed down to this one although it doesn't seem to have as many illustrations as I think he would like. http://www.amazon.com/American-Heri...id=IMRJ4BGN77V7V&colid=190VM6LF9JC3M

On a related topic, it is also kind of fun extending my role as "Mommy dictionary" into his writing. What kind of dictionaries did/do your dc like at this stage and how did/do they use their printed dictionaries and their people dictionaries.

thanks.

Last edited by EastnWest; 11/08/10 04:51 PM.
    I bought a Macmillan's Dictionary for Children "fully illustrated" for DS when he was 5 and even at that age, a lot of the words he wanted to look up were not in it. He still likes browsing it at age 7 (like a picture book), but when he really needs to look up a definition or spelling, he uses a Webster's college dictionary. I got him a new one to replace my beat up one from 1981. Nan

E
    OP Offline
    E
    or maybe this one? no "look inside". I will have to go to a bookstore and check it out.
    http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webst...UTF8&qid=1289262168&sr=8-1-fkmr0

E
    OP Offline
    E
    cricket3 and Nan -

Thanks!

cricket3 - how old are your kids?

My DS uses a Webster's pocket dictionary and Thesaraus. They came together as a set and he actually uses the Thesaraus much more than the dictionary. They aren't illustrated but that doesn't seem to bother him.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webst...mp;s=books&qid=1289273105&sr=1-1

I picked up this one last year, because the bookstore didn't have the one I wanted (I can't remember what that was). I like it. It has beautiful photographs, and I recently discovered it has an appendix with 7 pages of flags of the world. (I love flags.) It doesn't have etymologies, but it does define it and tell you how to pronounce it. smile My DS is 6, and this has worked well. As a caveat, he is not that into writing or spelling.

ETA: It does have a "look inside"

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/08/10 08:31 PM.
    My ds loved the Merriam Webster Garfield dictionary, he enjoyed sitting around flipping through it, which was nice to see. It is a big, pretty good dictionary, but at 10 I think he has outgrown the word level.
    http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Garfield-Dictionary-Jim-Davis/dp/0877796262

Oh, and as for being the people dictionary, I am more of an encyclopedia... wink Well used in the car, I might add, when other sources of info are not so accessible. Hopefully I am mostly getting things 'right'. laugh

Last edited by chris1234; 11/09/10 03:17 AM.
    M
    M
    We have the same dictionary St Pauli Girl mentioned. My boys, almost 7 & 9, both enjoy it. DS8 uses it to look up his differentiated spelling/vocabulary and occasionally he can't find the word in this dictionary, and he uses mine. I've found both my boys reading it like an encylopedia, finding an interesting picture and then wanting to find out more. It's been a good source for new topics to research.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    thanks everyone!

I ordered The American Heritage Children's Dictionary. We'll see if ds likes it.

Mama22Gs and St Pauli Girl - the "DK Merriam Webster" looked really good to as did the "Webster's New World Children's Dictionary".

cricket3 - My ds isn't online that much yet. I am sure he will be soon enough and those database resources will come in handy.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent