Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 386 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #88955 11/06/10 02:10 PM
    OP Offline
    Hi all! I am considering trying to find a teaching job in another country for a year or so. I believe it would be a great experience for all of us. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas/advice about what countries would provide good school fit for gifted. As well as any advice about teaching in another country (elementary school and/or English language)

Thanks!

T
    T
    Maybe Italy? Lots of history there, and it's close to Greece - all kinds of educational opportunities in Greece.

I taught overseas for 11 years (and loved it!) grin - in the Philippines, Turkey, Japan and Latvia. In international schools where the language of instruction was English, but the kids were from all over the world - their parents were either international business people, embassy workers, military, super rich from the host country, or other teachers' kids.
    I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about teaching overseas and how to get jobs overseas - pm me with questions about working overseas.
    Most of the major job fairs are held in January or February, so now is actually a good time to get started in the process of looking. Start by looking at TIE it is an online newspaper for international teachers - it includes articles by teachers overseas as well as lists job services and positions available.

As far as how schools would be for a gifted kid..... Most of the schools I know of do not have any services for kids at either end of the spectrum. Living in another country is such an exciting and interesting lifestyle change that there is a lot to "keep a kid interested in", but in terms of actual programs at a school that are good for gt kids it will limit your choices. Even the really good schools I am familiar with are not set up to deal with HG/PG kids. frown

How old are your kids again? Many of the schools do the IB (International baccalaureate) program at all levels, some do their own curriculum in all levels based on the country their administrators are from, and others do the international version of the British system (IGCSE and A levels for high school).

But, as I said, immersing yourself in the culture you are living in and learning the language and discovering as much as you can about the area may make up for what is lacking during the school day. It certainly opens your eyes to life outside the US, as well as to life in the US.

DH and I loved working overseas, DD7 was born overseas and we will go back out again in a few years because we loved it so much. We also really want both DDs to get a chance to live abroad again when they are old enough to remember it.

D
    D
    Good question--we are currently looking into Asia and I appreciate the feedback!

OP Offline
    Kerry - How cool that you taught overseas that long!

My kids are 8 and 9. I am really seriously thinking about this. There are no teaching jobs here and I am not getting any younger. I would love to have this adventure as a family but I am concerned about making a good decision as this will impact everyone in the family. We are not city people so I hope to find something in a more rural area or suburban. I will check out the TIE newspaper. Did you have a favorite among the countries you taught in?

Our favorite place to live was Turkey - hands down. But, teaching there wasn't very good because we were at a private Turkish school rather than an international school and we had to follow the country's education rules, including a national curriculum with wrong information in it.

DH's favorite school was the one in the Philippines, but I think mine was the one in Japan.

Most of the larger schools are in the middle of cities because that is where the international student population is. There are some smaller ones in more rural areas, but some of them are pretty dodgy. There is one in Arusha, Tanzania that is pretty small that has a good reputation. I'll try to think of others.

For your first time trying to get jobs overseas, I'd recommend using University of Northern Iowa's job placement services. UNI They have a great packet about all of the schools that attend their fair, and are super helpful and supportive. Many of the people that go to this fair have no overseas experience, so it puts you on a more even playing field than if you go to one of the other big fairs where most people have lots of experience.

OP Offline
    That sounds great. Thanks Kerry. I am hoping that having my family with me is a plus. Dh is an accomplished stone mason and carpenter and hopefully he can find work of some sort that is helpful as well. A few of the sites I have looked at mention teaching couples but not families. I am certified to teach here for K-8 and I am willing to be certified for ESL if I need to. I am off to look at UNI site. :-)

Just curious - what have you decided to do?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent