Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #88867 11/05/10 11:16 AM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My DD's teacher today told me that they don't normally see kids advanced in math, it's normally reading. And she doesn't really have any materials to use for her. She's been teaching for 30+ years, is it really that uncommon? I'm freaking out a bit, I was hoping for at least another child in her grade level (about 80 kids) to cluster with. Is it just that they don't arrive advanced, even if they have the talent? Will there be more and more working at her level each year?

Last edited by Tallulah; 11/05/10 11:17 AM.
    Here's my gut reaction - not scientific, and perhaps says a lot about my gut. Sorry I can't remember your DD's grade/age.

Calculus in 1st grade - unusual.
    Algebra in 1st grade - unusual.
    4th grade in 1st grade - not unusual for gifted kids with some exposure.
    2nd grade in 1st grade - there should be 15% of the kids who are ready for this.

If the school uses MAP tests then they will know exactly who needs to learn what in Math. It might be cheaper to just screen some of the brightest ones on an 'end of next year' test and see where they stand.

People don't see it if they aren't looking for it, and many elementary teacher just hate math.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    I can only answer from my experience - my son is 7 (June birthday), in 2nd grade - and goes to 3rd grade 4 times a week for math. He got 96% in 3rd grade this 1st quarter, and is placed in a group of 4 at the "top" of the class. I think there are about 60 kids in 2nd grade, and he is way above any of them. So - yes, in his school, he is "unusual" smile Fortunately, the school recognised that last year, and have been wonderful at helping him out.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    4th grade in 1st grade - not unusual for gifted kids with some exposure.

She's in K, sorry, I forgot to mention that. So not too unusual next year, then?

B
    B
    In 1st through 4th grade the teachers that were able to identify my giftedness really pushed my reading. I was placed in higher grades for reading class and books. I was never exposed to math though. So I don't think it could have been identified. I found that as I got older though I was very good at math, despite not liking it very much. I do believe if I was exposed to it at an earlier age that it would have been advanced development. In my experience alone I would think that just early exposure to math is unusual, not a gifted child being advanced enough to grasp it and run with it.

My DS7 had a lot of algebra concepts by pre-k/k/1st grade but wasn't actually ready for Algebra. I think it is so hard to really assess an actual grade level at that age.

On the WJ-III at the age of 5 years 1 month (pre-K)my DS scored grade equivalents of grade 3. He is VERY good at computation but has less of an interest (or talent) in geometry and measurements.

My son is also "unusual" at his school. (Sometimes I feel the teachers are afraid of his math ability since he learns at such a rapid pace) I don't think he has had real math instruction since the age of 5 unless he learns it on his own or I assist him in the evenings.

Last edited by crisc; 11/05/10 11:59 AM.

Crisc
    A
    A
    My gut reaction says a lot about my gut, too. smile

A kindergartner spontaneously ready for 3rd grade math is much more uncommon than 2:80. And most parents won't teach their 5yos multiplication and division (other than as a one-off - I once demonstrated long division to DD-then-in-first as a tool for factoring, but she clearly wasn't ready for 4th or 5th grade work in general), even if the kids are capable and interested. Whereas they will let their kids read harder books without even thinking - I was shocked to see that the Rainbow Fairies books are 4th grade level in AR!

I'd say it's likely there's at least one other kid in K who would be able to do first grade math, although writing skills might limit any advanced work to oral practice / manipulative work.

As she gets older, it becomes more likely that fine motor skills will be less of a hindrance to otherwise-advanced kids, it becomes more likely that some of her age-mates will have a sudden skill-spurt in math - and it becomes more likely that she'll be farther and farther ahead *anyhow* due to pacing issues, if you're continuing to enrich her at home.

My DD is up a grade from her agemates in math, but a fair percentage (I agree with Grinity's 15% estimate) of her agemates could have handled being a grade up in math. A lot of that has to do with the grades in question - in our district, 2nd is mostly review of addition and subtraction facts. An end-of-2nd grader who hasn't been exposed to significant multiplication and division practice at home is unlikely to be spontaneously ready for 4th grade math in the fall.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    And most parents won't teach their 5yos multiplication and division (other than as a one-off - I once demonstrated long division to DD-then-in-first as a tool for factoring, but she clearly wasn't ready for 4th or 5th grade work in general), even if the kids are capable and interested. Whereas they will let their kids read harder books without even thinking - I was shocked to see that the Rainbow Fairies books are 4th grade level in AR!

I think you've hit the nail on the head, particularly with a mathematician as opposed to an arithmetist (love that invented word!). Spontaneously inventing long division is rather unlikely, even for Terry Tao.

I agree with Grinity. Many elementary ed teachers are better at language arts. She does not want to recognize the math because she is comfortable with kinder math.

Good principals are forcing these teachers to look at math instead of only reading.

My son's teacher who had taught grade 1 for 30 years finally went out and purchased new books at my son's higher reading level a 6 months into the school year. He was still required to read books with one word per page for the first half of the year.

I have never even considered him gifted in language arts. His strong point is math.

He is now in grade 9 and so frustrated with his math teacher (because he claims she knows nothing about math and makes tons of irritating mistakes) that he is now refusing to go to school.

I don't know of any gifted programs anywhere near where I live. I am so jealous of all the advanced programming I hear about on this board. This forum is really opening my eyes to what is out there.

My child's school is still unwilling to accommodate him with any advancements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM