Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Question for young inquiring minds.......

There are actually 5 states of matter, can you name them?

It just so happens that I can... thanks to our good friend Aurora Lipper . wink

Huh-hum.... the five states of matter are:

solid, liquid, gas, plasma, and BEC

Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    we're using K12,I'm following the lesson plans, but DD6 will always change the direction the lesson is following so I just go with it, is that what most of you do?

Yes, we follow these little rabbit trails... well, most of the time. The bad part is that we both enjoy going down them and if I'm not careful we'll spend an hour on something that should have taken ten or fifteen minutes. I do have a (free) curriculum that I use as a skeleton, but tweak a bit here and there, and then I add to it quite a bit. We don't barrel through our school books, though he reads a lot on his own and would devour all books if allowed. We tend to go slow and wide with school. We cover a lot of areas, and he gets a lot of what he's interested in at the same time. He's really good at filling in the gaps, as are many of these children. Last year's deepest focus was marine biology. This year it is botany. He's recently started writing poetry (really good stuff, too!), so I suspect that's where we'll be focusing in the spring.

Once you find an outline and some goals that you generally feel comfortable with, you can use that to start pulling your own things together. Get what you need to in there, but feel free to move away from the structure or plan when your child's interest is piqued. As you ease into this, I think it will become easier for you and you'll see that it can work this way. Best wishes on all of that. Have fun!

great suggestions Kirstin I do feel like I'm getting the hang of this I just need to get the materials she needs to learn what's interesting to her

I'm looking forward to her getting to a point like your DS Courneyb and I know(hope) it's coming soon smile

BWBshari Solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, and Bose-Einstein and yes I had to look the last one up ,lol

I never heard of that 5th one! How cool! smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Question for young inquiring minds.......

There are actually 5 states of matter, can you name them?

It just so happens that I can... thanks to our good friend Aurora Lipper . wink

Huh-hum.... the five states of matter are:

solid, liquid, gas, plasma, and BEC

Wow great link to the e-science, that looks like a program both dd's would love..they really like the hands on stuff

Yes, we follow these little rabbit trails... lol too funny but that's what it feels like

G
    G
    For us the Rabbit trails are the whole point wink

I heard of the Bose-Einstein only in The Dissapearing Spoon and on the Big Bang theory. I wouldn't think of it off the top of my head if the three states of matter came up.

�" There is no end to scientific endeavor. �A true scientific theory is always opened to being disproved. �"
    �-Popper's Falsification theory

I was googling this quote and landed here http://www.experiment-resources.com/falsifiability.html
    Then I clicked on the kids link and I saw an experiment using paper airplanes and bar charts to prove which is better. �What could be better? �The boy's all into paper airplanes because they had one on Special Agent Oso on the Disney channel recently, and he's done bar charts a few times in his workbooks. �I should have known there's a webpage for paper airplanes. �We might do this soon and introduce science fair project elements and show him how to fold paper all at the same time!
    I'm going to paint that quote and hang it in my kitchen because it's pretty and inspirational.

http://www.paperairplanes.co.uk/planes.php

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    L
    L
    My 12-year-old son, who always loved to argue, found another good debate site--debate.org. He really enjoys reading the debates and tries to get me to read and discuss them with him. We have not been able to find any debate classes and I am not much help since I never took debate, so I decided he needed a rule book so he can perfect his skill in arguing.

I am still amazed at how easy it is to go to amazon.com, look at sample pages of books to find just the right one and then have it immediately sent to the iPad so we can start reading it right away. I decided to get A Rulebook for Arguments.

They don't offer middle school debate classes at our public school so this is another good thing about homeschooling. This is another interest that he can follow without any kind of restrictions.

We read a few chapters of A Rulebook for Arguments last night together and we can see how it might also help him in his co-op writing composition class. He is still making A+ on every paper, but it is getting harder. So here is another thing that is keeping him from doing as much math as I would like for him to do, but it is hard for me to tell him to stop reading and learning things that he enjoys so much to do math.

I have to admit that I don't find math as interesting as science, history, and everything else and this makes it harder for me to encourage him to do more of it.

M
    M
    Nice to hear how everyone is doing!

Hope your year continues to go well!

Last edited by minniemarx; 10/27/10 11:07 PM.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM