Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    sws Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My child was tested in the process of a grade skip. She was 12y5m at the time of testing.

WISC-IV
    VCI 116
    PRI 127
    WMI 116
    PSI 133
    FSIQ 130

Most gifted kids are weak in PSI, and strong in VCI. My child is the opposite.

Subtests
    Block 14
    Similarities 12
    Digit Span 13
    Picture 13
    Coding 17
    Vocab 15
    L-N Seq 13
    Matrix 16
    Comprehension 12
    Symbol 15

She was also given the WJA-III on the same day.
    Letter-Word 115
    Reading Fluency 138
    Passage Comp 121
    Broad Reading 132

Calculation 117
    Math Fluency 125
    Applied Prob 117
    Math Calc 123
    Broad Math 124

Spelling 131
    Writing Fluency 135
    Writing Samples 118
    Written Expression 132
    Broad Written Lang 136

Academic Skills 128
    Academic Fluency 139
    Total Academic 136

My side of the family has a history of struggling to learn to read (even though we are all fairly bright). My dad, myself and my brother are now avid readers, but have a much larger reading vocabulary than a spoken vocabulary due to not knowing how to pronounce the words we know. None of us can help the little kids in our families with their phonics homework. It is Greek to us. Our spelling goes from below average to very poor. I was LD for reading/spelling in elementary, but was "gifted" by high school but still had poor spelling.

I guess I am just worried about her.
    I know she is smart, and she is still making straight A's after the grade skip, it is just that I worry she has a deficit that might hinder her as the courses get more challenging in high school and college.
    She too is an avid reader, and she had an easier time of it than I, but her pronunciation skills don't seem to be as strong as her other bright friends. On the plus side, her spelling is much better than mine at her age. We are both poor at associating names/faces. She is taking high school algebra right now, but still doesn't know all her time tables by heart despite concerted effort.

Any thoughts on the unusual scores of my beloved odd-ball?

I wouldn't worry about her reading based on these scores - all of the reading and writing subtests are above average or better.

As far as not understanding the phonics homework - you were most likely taught to read via the whole language method and were never explicitly taught the word patterns and spelling generalizations. Luckily, you were still able to read and figure out the patterns and chunks. Most likely, if you had a true reading disability, the whole language method of reading might not have worked for you. Most kids with reading disabilities do not pick up on the patterns themselves and must be explicitly taught word patterns.

As far as her multiplication tables - her computation skills are solid. If you feel that she is still somewhat weak at automatically producing the right answer with her times tables or other math facts - the best thing is practice. On line math programs, flashcards, quizzes in the car etc. Based on her profile - solid WMI and PSI, there doesn't seem any thing in her cognitive profile to indicate a huge deficit.

I think what you are seeing are her relative strengths and weaknesses. Everyone has areas of cognition and skill that are stronger and weaker than others. You haven't mentioned anything that is standing in the way of her learning and academic progress.

S
    sws Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for calming my fears.

I had such a hard time with reading/spelling through out life, and even after graduating HS and an BS and MS I still have a very reduced spoken vocabulary versus my reading vocabulary due to not knowing what the words sound like. I also have trouble alphabetizing things, looking a name up in a phone book, a word up in a dictionary, or finding one particular can of soup on shelves full of cans that look too identical to me.

When I got the results back, and the "normal" highest score for most gifted kids was her lowest, and the "normal" lowest score for most gifted kids was her highest, it put me ill at ease.

Thanks again for calming my fears.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    You might want to google "stealth dyslexia" to see if it fits.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations