Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #87800 10/22/10 03:23 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anyone have any quotes that they found inspirational either as a GT person, parent of a GT child(ren), or for the GT kids themselves? Please share them, if you do. Here's one that makes my heart sing, and that my daughter, age 6 HG, found empowering.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.' We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -Marianne Williamson

mizzoumommy #87806 10/22/10 04:58 AM
    I
    I

mizzoumommy #87812 10/22/10 05:46 AM
    "Akeelah and the Bee" highlighted part of that quote. Thanks for sharing all of it. It really is beautiful and inspirational.

mizzoumommy #87881 10/23/10 05:02 AM
    B
    B
    Here is a list of a ton of them....

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/education_quotes.htm

mizzoumommy #87937 10/24/10 12:29 PM
    S
    S
    That is a wonderful quote, thanks for sharing that. I'm going to print it as a reminder.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

-This part especially struck home. I was on another board & one poster was asking about acceleration. A teacher/parent responded that young bright kids have to just learn to contain their smartness sometimes to fit in with what is socially acceptable.
    That has bothered me ever since I read it.

Steph #87965 10/25/10 05:38 AM
    My whole family loves that movie and I call the kids in when that quote comes up, love it love it!!!

This part especially struck home. I was on another board & one poster was asking about acceleration. A teacher/parent responded that young bright kids have to just learn to contain their smartness sometimes to fit in with what is socially acceptable.
    That has bothered me ever since I read it.

I think that is the attitude at my daughters school as well. And the teachers mean well, but it just doesn't work and it bothers me as well. I've had to teach the kids that there are leaders and followers, shepherds and sheep. Many people are like sheep, following the butt in front of them. Don't be afraid to stand out and be a leader.

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Adrienne #88011 10/25/10 12:19 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Adrienne
    My whole family loves that movie and I call the kids in when that quote comes up, love it love it!!!

I think that is the attitude at my daughters school as well. And the teachers mean well, but it just doesn't work and it bothers me as well. I've had to teach the kids that there are leaders and followers, shepherds and sheep. Many people are like sheep, following the butt in front of them. Don't be afraid to stand out and be a leader.

ROFL!! That seriously made me almost spit soda! That is a great way to put it, my kids will love that!

mizzoumommy #91016 12/12/10 06:43 PM
    Alright. �I got my new pocket calendar today.
    "in three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. �It goes on."
    -Robert Frost
    "live life as if you were to die tomorrow. �Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Ghandi
    "the only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
    "nothing in life is to be feared. �It is only to be understood."
    -Marie Curie
    "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."
    -Will Rogers

That last one is profound, man.

Bet no one ever quotes me on a calendar,"Use a normal voice.". "Don't break anything." "If it's not yours, don't touch it." �Over, and over. �It's all I ever say.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations