Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thank you very much. I appreciate all of the comments. I have discovered that you have to be your own child's advocate when they are in the "system". I think schools are encouraged mostly to bring the "tail ends" of the range up because that is what is looked at a lot more closely than the upper ends of the range.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    On a chart showing gifted norms, a 257 on Math falls in the middle of gifted 7th and 8th grade norms. The norms for gifted 7th graders is 255 and for gifted 8th graders is 260. Grade level medians for 7th and 8th grade are 229 and 234, respectively.
    Do you have a link to a chart that shows the norms for gifted kids?

I
    I
    NWEA sets the gifted benchmark at 95%:
    The 95th percentile is a nationally accepted norm for identify students for placement in accelerated programs. NWEA strongly encourages districts to set TAG guidelines that meet the needs of their district. Districts can use percentile charts in the NWEA RIT Scale Norms publication to set any desired TAG guideline.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/997
    It's the same standard norms found here in the tables starting on page 139:
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

J
    J
    Just got my daughters MAP scores and am totally confused. She is in the 8th grade, her math RIT range is 256-268. Not sure what it all means. Can anyone help me? Her RIT reading score was 240. Thanks for any help.

I
    I
    Hi Jennie,
    The charts to convert RIT scores to national percentiles are here starting on page 129. Using the middle of the math range (266) the score is just above the 99% for 8th grade math and ~98% for 9th grade. The reading is at the 96% for 8th grade.
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3
    Here's the link for the parent toolkit which has an explanation of how the RIT scale works.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/930
    Since she's near the ceiling, I would look at having her take a different assessment like the SAT or ACT through a talent search program.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/532
    Why do RIT scales vary from subject to subject (e.g. the mathematics RIT scale goes higher than other subject areas)? A ceiling effect exists when an assessment does not have sufficient range to accurately measure students at the highest performance levels. It has nothing to do with the actual numbers attached to the scale and everything to do with the position of students on it. For example, in reading, the RIT scale measures with relative accuracy up to about 245. This represents the 93rd percentile at grade 10, and the 95th percentile at grade 8. If a student scores above we know that student performed high but may not be able to accurately assess how high they performed. Relative to other tests, therefore, there is very little true ceiling effect in this assessment. Even most high performing 10th graders receive a technically accurate measure of their skill.
    Let me know if you have a more specific question I can help you answer.

C
    C
    Inky- while we're talking RIT scores, do you have any info on how scaled scores work? My son is 100% positive that his score on the screen at the end of the 2-6th test (this was 2nd grade spring) said 219 for reading but the paper the teacher sent home said 214. I asked her about it and she said the score on the screen is the raw score, not the scaled score but didn't really understand it all herself. I can't find anything on the public side of the NWEA website.

I
    I
    I couldn't find anything specific to MAP testing but here's an explanation from another test that may help:
    http://www.p12.nysed.gov/osa/assesspubs/pubsarch/rawscoretoscaledscoreconversionTwing1021.pdf
    Scaled scores help communicate student performance:
    � supports the reporting of performance standards across years;
    � facilitates equivalency of test forms across the years;
    � standardizes the meaning of performance across testing sessions;

C
    C
    Thanks Inky. I wonder if his school is scaling them on their own or if the school is getting them from NWEA. They have always argued that the 2008 norms don't reflect this school's data- which makes me curious now if they are actually understating each individual child's MAP score.

I
    I
    CAMom, you may want to ask for his NWEA Student Report. It looks like this: http://www.powayusd.com/projects/ed...20Student%20Growth%20Report%20Sample.pdf

Gifted Mom, I think they might take MAP results in addition to, but not in place of the ones they have listed:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx
    *Additional tests not listed on the Qualifying Tests and Score Guidelines, such as the Stanford-Binet Form L-M, PSAT, SCAT, and state mandated grade level tests, may be submitted in addition to, but not in place of, the tests listed above.*

C
    C
    Good idea Inky. They've "refused" to give them to other people in the past but I know they can't actually do that! We have P/T conferences in two weeks and I'll be asking.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM