Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #87616 10/19/10 01:59 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    So the local paper wants to interview DD for getting a CTY award. Apart from coaching her not to say things like, "School is soooooo boring!" does anyone have any tips? It sounds like he just wants to know things like interests, hobbies, etc., so it's more of a human interest piece.

If we do get a chance to make a point about gifted education, what should it be? We wish schools would consider acceleration more often? NCLB is holding our kids back? Talk about twice-exceptionalities (DD is also ADHD)? Or should we just play it safe, say how wonderful our local schools are and how lucky we are to live here? wink

I know we'll ruffle fewer feathers if we say the last thing, but I'm rather frustrated at the moment with advocating for DD at the school level. But my instincts are saying to stay off of the soapbox for this one. smile Any suggestions? Anyone been there/done that?

Thanks!

I'd let her be her sparkly self.

You, as DD's "agent" can ask to see the story before it is run just to correct any factual inaccuracies. You can ask the reporter to soften any blows to the school. ( or leave it out altogether??) Or, you can give info on the school "off the record."

The fact the reporter is coming means they will be positive to begin with.

I'd also give the reporter the phone number of your contact at CTY who can give the reporter facts and provide anyone who reads the story a place to get more info. Most reporters will call the background sources. I'd prep the contact though.

The reporter will then write the story. The editor will add changes. The publisher may cut it some more. And what remains will be what gets printed.

Last edited by Austin; 10/19/10 02:40 PM.
    I would give the reporter info on what it means to get that award. Talk about CTY and why DD is involved.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Sure, no soap box, if she wants to say something, she will say it! wink But I would keep the coaching for your dd on what to expect question-wise, and how to handle questions she doesn't have answers for.
    Also, CONGRATS to your dd on both the award and the interview, how awesome!!

Originally Posted by Austin
    You, as DD's "agent" can ask to see the story before it is run just to correct any factual inaccuracies. ..I'd also give the reporter the phone number of your contact at CTY who can give the reporter facts and provide anyone who reads the story a place to get more info. Most reporters will call the background sources. I'd prep the contact though.

The reporter will then write the story. The editor will add changes. The publisher may cut it some more. And what remains will be what gets printed.

Great advice, Austin. You certianly want the reporter to promise that nothing your DD says that you don't want printed will be printed. Then it's best to expect that even though the reporter 'promised' that this promise will be broken, because humans aren't perfect.

I would stress how much the school people have been so helpful in recognizing and meeting your daughter's educational needs. It's amazing how people tend to believe, and then act on, the good things we say about them. A little scary actually. Again, human memory isn't perfect, so when a brain asks itself 'how did I handle it last time?' there is a pretty good chance that your quote about 'recognize and meet the educational needs' from the paper will come to mind and the brain will say - 'ok, I did that last time and nothing bad happened, I'd do that this time too.'

I hope that doesn't sound cynical, it's it's actually quite lovely.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM