Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #87122 10/12/10 02:01 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Just for a bit of background, I've been trying to get my daughter into her school's TAG (Talented & Gifted) program for about a year now. She was just hospitalized for cystic fibrosis issues and while there further testing ended up in a High Functioning Asperger's diagnosis, along with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and mild depression co-morbidities. Her IQ (Kbit..which I realize is a brief test, but my understanding is it correlates pretty well to the Wisc) was 135, verbal and nonverbal scores both 132. Last year she had a straight A average (she's 9, 4th grade), but was on homebound almost the entire year.

For those of you who have been there, my concern is that they are going to deny IEP services because of her academic achievement, when who knows how far she could go with the proper supports in place. Her developmental ped has recommended keyboarding for longer written assignments, a step by step schedule she can see on her desk, written instructions for assignments, social skills group & training, warning before fire drills, non-verbal corrections, lessened homework load, and testing mastery before requiring repetitive work as well as subject acceleration in reading/language arts. Her Asperger's diagnosis came in because of things like lack of attention span, social issues, not making eye contact, gross motor deficits, basically pretty textbook symptoms that I had never really pieced together. I have the SCT meeting on Monday, which is when they determine whether an IEP is needed. On the upside, I'm hoping the Kbit scores and neuropsych's report will be enough to stop the TAG struggles. She was supposed to take the Naglieri the week she went into the hospital, so that has not happened yet. Any advice at all would be appreciated!

D
    D
    Hi Pipersmom,

Several thoughts here:

--Has the school district done its own educational evaluation? They are required to do so before they can say she needs or doesn't need an IEP. Even if they are taking outside results into account. The Wrightslaw book From Emotions to Advocacy is good in spelling out this process. Their website is helpful too.

--The diagnosis ought properly to be either High Functioning Autism or Asperger's; Asperger's is assumed to be high functioning, which simply means "without mental retardation." The term high functioning means nothing with regard to the severity or mildness of the autism symptoms, only that IQ is not impaired.

--How prepared is your school likely to be to give all the accommodations the dev ped recommended? It's a good list, but it's a big list. Know which ones seem like the essentials before you walk into the meeting, but start negotiations with the dev. ped's list.

--They are not supposed to determine IEP status by academic achievement alone but also by "functional skills" kids learn in school (including social skills). You should be able to look at the state standards for things like social studies to argue that the Asperger's impairs your daughter's ability to participate in group projects and so forth, and she needs remedial services to help her do so.

--You will want to think through what aspects of the list require personnel (services, like PT, OT, speech, access to special ed teacher) and what part are just accommodations (reduced homework; things a teacher can do). If it looks like only accommodations they may try to give her a 504 plan instead of an IEP. An IEP is better for the Asperger's--for instance, a speech therapist or special ed teacher can facilitate learning social skills, PT should work on the gross motor, etc.

--You should be prepared by knowing your district's and state's rules regarding who is served in the TAG program. Some places just go by testing and some by teacher recommendation (much harder to deal with for 2E kids). In either case they are not allowed to deny entry based on disability.

HTH,
    DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Hi Pipersmom,

Several thoughts here:

--Has the school district done its own educational evaluation? They are required to do so before they can say she needs or doesn't need an IEP. Even if they are taking outside results into account. The Wrightslaw book From Emotions to Advocacy is good in spelling out this process. Their website is helpful too.

Deedee, The school has not done it's own evaluation yet, in VA, the SCT meeting is the very first step, and that is where they'll decide if an educational evaluation is needed. I have been to the Wrightslaw site, and suspect I'll be frequenting it quite often. When Piper started school I went through this process trying to get a 504 into place for her CF and it was a nightmare.

--The diagnosis ought properly to be either High Functioning Autism or Asperger's; Asperger's is assumed to be high functioning, which simply means "without mental retardation." The term high functioning means nothing with regard to the severity or mildness of the autism symptoms, only that IQ is not impaired.

It is an Asperger's diagnosis on the official paperwork, I suspect the Dr may have expressed it to me as "high functioning" simply because 1. I had no prior warning they were even looking at Spectrum Disorders, and 2. Not that there is a "typical" Aspie, but some of her presentation is very mild.

--How prepared is your school likely to be to give all the accommodations the dev ped recommended? It's a good list, but it's a big list. Know which ones seem like the essentials before you walk into the meeting, but start negotiations with the dev. ped's list.

I have no idea how likely they will be, but I would say prob less likely based on past experience, lol. My plan is to walk in with a couple lists, one with things I consider "essentials" and then a list of "would be nice" things. Of course, the list of things I provide them will have the whole shebang.

--They are not supposed to determine IEP status by academic achievement alone but also by "functional skills" kids learn in school (including social skills). You should be able to look at the state standards for things like social studies to argue that the Asperger's impairs your daughter's ability to participate in group projects and so forth, and she needs remedial services to help her do so.

--You will want to think through what aspects of the list require personnel (services, like PT, OT, speech, access to special ed teacher) and what part are just accommodations (reduced homework; things a teacher can do). If it looks like only accommodations they may try to give her a 504 plan instead of an IEP. An IEP is better for the Asperger's--for instance, a speech therapist or special ed teacher can facilitate learning social skills, PT should work on the gross motor, etc.

Thank you, that helps a lot. I hadn't even considered PT for the gross motor skills, but it would definitely be a positive for her.

--You should be prepared by knowing your district's and state's rules regarding who is served in the TAG program. Some places just go by testing and some by teacher recommendation (much harder to deal with for 2E kids). In either case they are not allowed to deny entry based on disability.

They go by a combination of testing, teacher's recommendation, and academic performance. The principal does have experience with Asperger's, and seemed very open when I spoke to her this morning. She's also included the TAG teacher in the SCT meeting, so I'm somewhat hopeful on that end of things.

HTH,
    DeeDee

Thank you so much, I'm trying hard not to get overwhelmed with the whole process and any advice/info is extremely helpful at this point.

-Amanda

D
    D
    Originally Posted by PipersMom
    Deedee, The school has not done it's own evaluation yet, in VA, the SCT meeting is the very first step, and that is where they'll decide if an educational evaluation is needed.

Aha, here that's called an IAT or "building plan." Do you have an evaluation report from your dev ped in writing? I'd probably share that information right away, so there can be no doubt that further eval is needed.

I went through this process trying to get a 504 into place for her CF and it was a nightmare.

Ugh, I can hardly believe they gave you trouble about a 504 for a kid with CF!

I suspect the Dr may have expressed it to me as "high functioning" simply because 1. I had no prior warning they were even looking at Spectrum Disorders, and 2. Not that there is a "typical" Aspie, but some of her presentation is very mild.

They do like to emphasize "high functioning" so as not to freak out unsuspecting parents. You sound not in the least traumatized by this so far; I bet you've been through a lot already. AS is a real challenge, but it is perfectly possible to have a good life with it.

I have no idea how likely they will be, but I would say prob less likely based on past experience, lol. My plan is to walk in with a couple lists, one with things I consider "essentials" and then a list of "would be nice" things. Of course, the list of things I provide them will have the whole shebang.

Good plan. If you know from past experience that they are going to treat you as though you are asking unreasonably for the moon on a platter, might you consider hiring an educational advocate? Or getting the dev ped to come to school meetings with you while you sort this out? Having Our People to speak on our DS's behalf in meetings has made it much easier to get what our DS8 (who has Asperger's) needs.

I hadn't even considered PT for the gross motor skills, but it would definitely be a positive for her.

The hardest thing to get at school in our experience is proper social skills training. Few schools are equipped to do this, even though with the number of kids being diagnosed on the spectrum they ought to have the resources in place. SLPs tend to want to focus on articulation, not pragmatic language. We have always had to work on the subtler skills outside of school in our ABA program; but having school PT work on the gross motor has advanced DS's skills considerably.

They go by a combination of testing, teacher's recommendation, and academic performance. The principal does have experience with Asperger's, and seemed very open when I spoke to her this morning. She's also included the TAG teacher in the SCT meeting, so I'm somewhat hopeful on that end of things.

That's great. Do you have a reliable regular ed teacher who has experience with your DD who can speak on her behalf, or whose name you could drop as a casual reference?

We found that when we got gifted services into the mix, school became more functional for DS, not least because the class size was smaller, but having appropriate work to do was a huge win. Our advocate pushed hard for the school to acknowledge both the disability AND the giftedness.

I'm trying hard not to get overwhelmed with the whole process

Sounds to me like you're doing a great job under difficult conditions. You can PM me if it would be helpful.

DeeDee

N
    N
    We have an IEP/ALP for DS8 which includes all his GT things as well as his (Special Ed) social skills things for Asperger's. We're in Colorado, where I think they are required to specify in both directions.

It sounds like you have a good list there, providing the school will lay it down in writing like the developmental ped wants it.

With cystic fibrosis and Asperger's as well as being gifted, I can fully understand both anxiety and depression issues! That would be just about enough for anybody's plate. I wish you luck with the school!

Piper'sMom, We also have an IEP in place for our son with autism which includes accommodations for that, plus it includes the gifted educational plan. The school put everything together in one plan. His giftedness does not affect his need for accommodations for his autism. Your school should be the same: just because your child is gifted, your child still needs help with the issues around CF and the ASD. Do what you are doing and make sure the school doesn't blow you off because your child is gifted!!

Good Luck with your meeting! Nan

D
    D
    It seems to me I read somewhere that even if they tell you in the SCT meeting that they won't do the educational evaluation, if you request the eval in writing they may have to under IDEA. Wrightslaw will know.

Here they won't put gifted services in the IEP (though we did some negotiating about it at the IEP meeting, and most of the same players were involved). Here you get a separate gifted plan, decided on at a separate meeting. But for our child (as likely for yours, Pipersmom) they do need to be planned together.

Hope the meeting goes well!

DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm getting ready to head for bed, but thank you all for the wonderful advice. I'll post more in depth tomorrow. smile

-Amanda

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Aha, here that's called an IAT or "building plan." Do you have an evaluation report from your dev ped in writing? I'd probably share that information right away, so there can be no doubt that further eval is needed.

I spoke with her office yesterday and they mailed out the evaluation on Wed, so I'm hoping it will come in the mail today.

Good plan. If you know from past experience that they are going to treat you as though you are asking unreasonably for the moon on a platter, might you consider hiring an educational advocate? Or getting the dev ped to come to school meetings with you while you sort this out? Having Our People to speak on our DS's behalf in meetings has made it much easier to get what our DS8 (who has Asperger's) needs.

Unfortunately an advocate isn't in the finances, and her Dev Ped is 90 minutes away, although if it comes down to brass tacks, I would consider either finding a free advocate, or asking her Ped if it would be possible for her to come.

The hardest thing to get at school in our experience is proper social skills training. Few schools are equipped to do this, even though with the number of kids being diagnosed on the spectrum they ought to have the resources in place. SLPs tend to want to focus on articulation, not pragmatic language. We have always had to work on the subtler skills outside of school in our ABA program; but having school PT work on the gross motor has advanced DS's skills considerably.

I will definitely keep that in mind. The SLP that evaluated her at the hospital didn't seem to see pramatic language as a problem, though everyone else, including myself did. Piper's expressive and receptive language were at 16-17 yr old levels, while her pragmatic language tested out at age level. She did say Piper had some trouble with using "politeness markers". It seems to me that if she's functioning that high on expressive and receptive, pragmatic should be in that general area also..or that she at least should have the ability for it to, if that makes sense.

We found that when we got gifted services into the mix, school became more functional for DS, not least because the class size was smaller, but having appropriate work to do was a huge win. Our advocate pushed hard for the school to acknowledge both the disability AND the giftedness.

I'm really hoping that is going to be one thing we won't have trouble with, but time will tell. They've basically been treating me as though they were indulging me with testing her for the past year. I am going to use the guidance counselor who did her homebound teaching last year as a reference. She thought Piper needed subject acceleration then, without having test scores.

I appreciate all the good advice, DeeDee..if anything else comes up I'll def give you a pm smile

-Amanda

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    We have an IEP/ALP for DS8 which includes all his GT things as well as his (Special Ed) social skills things for Asperger's. We're in Colorado, where I think they are required to specify in both directions.

It sounds like you have a good list there, providing the school will lay it down in writing like the developmental ped wants it.

With cystic fibrosis and Asperger's as well as being gifted, I can fully understand both anxiety and depression issues! That would be just about enough for anybody's plate. I wish you luck with the school!

I think the norm here is to do two seperate plans, though I plan to push for an all inclusive. It just makes more sense to me since the TAG teacher will have to be involved in the IEP anyway. Thank you for the good wishes, every little bit helps!

-Amanda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs