Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #86924 10/08/10 12:42 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone experience this? Ds7 is going through some major separation anxiety lately. He's never been this way, EVER. He's usually the kid who runs off and forgets to say goodbye to me. Now, all of a sudden, he's crying and wanting to come home from my parents' house before he even reached their home. He had to take a picture of the two of us with him. I promised him he could call me at any time to talk or to come pick him up. I encouraged him to go and have a good time. He called me from the car saying, "I want to go to Papa's house, but I want you. I don't know what to do." So, I told him to just go and try to have fun and call if he needs me. He has always been just as comfortable with my parents as he is with dh and me.

This has been going on for about a month I think. I'd say the timing coincides with the increase of his Concerta from 27 mg to 36 mg. Other anxiety symptoms have not worsened, however.

When we go out to dinner, he has to be next to me, and he's been coming in to bed with me early in the morning lately. If I send him back to his room, he can't go to sleep, and then he's a mess all day.

His doctor has said he has anxiety (however, until now it has appeared to be related almost solely to perfectionism). He also has ADHD, and his counselor diagnosed "depressed mood". I'm sure it's all related somehow, but why separation anxiety, and why now?

C
    C
    Any chance it could be Walt Disney related?
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/waltdisn/mother.asp

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Any chance it could be Walt Disney related?
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/waltdisn/mother.asp

OMG! Bahahaha!!!!

I can't tell you how hard I am laughing right now! Thanks, I needed that!

We'll be sure and leave that "fact" out of the historical presentation!

Does your son go to school and if he does has he experienced any form of bullying while there? You are probably right about the medication being the culprit for what you are witnessing but just in case, I would ask a few questions to see if he is being picked on.

J
    J
    Jen,

YES! My DD7 has always been a confident, wave-a-quick-goodbye-and-she's-off kind of gal. Then, about one month before school started, she would WAIL every night about going back to school because she'd have to be away from me. She wanted me to have lunch with her, stay in the classroom, always be the one to pick her up from school....

School started, and it continued on for about a week, but now she's pretty much over it.

So, there's hope it's just a phase....!

Jen

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    My son is fine going to school, just like normal. Sometimes after school, he'll cry and say he missed me, but he never says he doesn't want to go to school. I guess that's a good thing. It's just such strange behavior for him, as it's so out of character.

We are having the SAME problem with DD8. She has ADHD (on Biphentin) and anxiety and crippling perfectionism, as well. She clings to me and begs me to stay home from work (I work shift work, so I really do spend a lot of time at home). On her past few sleepovers she seriously considered coming home at bedtime because she would miss me too much. During the day she wants to cuddle with me as much as possible.

In our case, I can't find a reason. Her perfectionism/anxiety at school is actually improved quite a bit this school year. She tells me that she just needs more 'Mama Love' than other kids because she loves me more than other kids love their moms. I'm hoping things will settle down as the school year progresses. We are in the process of selling our house and house hunting. I have a suspicion that this is bothering her more than she is letting on.

Last edited by kathleen'smum; 10/08/10 04:48 PM.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    P
    P
    Poor kiddo. My money says you are right to suspect a connection with the med change.

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    She tells me that she just needs more 'Mama Love' than other kids because she loves me more than other kids love their moms.

That's awesome! My husband and I are cracking up at this. We love it! It sounds just like something our son would say!

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    More strange anxiety issues today. The doctor said if we see an increase in anxiety we might need to lower the dose and add in Straterra, as it is a non-stimulant medication. Anyone tried this?

I don't think he's being bullied at school, but he is so sensitive. The smallest things make him think kids don't like him, and often he'll say he doesn't have any friends. Of course, he often talks about friends from school, so I'm not sure if he's being dramatic, if he really feels that way, or if it's a momentary feeling. I think he has kids he interacts with; he just doesn't relate that well to them, so he doesn't consider them "real friends".

And, then there's the whole picking teams issue, but I won't get on my soap box about that again. DS is often chosen last, and I think that's because of his emotional meltdowns. They don't want him on their team b/c athletic team activities often trigger his meltdowns. It really bothers him that he's chosen last, and I've talked to the school about it. Apparently, they are married to the practice of choosing teams b/c it's continues.

Despite all of that, he's always eager to go to school, and if I ask him if he'd prefer to homeschool or go to another school, he always says no.

Tomorrow, I'm going to reduce his med dose. I think I have some 18mg Concerta around here somewhere. We can use that until we get our new Rx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM