Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    What do you have and how do you like it? What are the pros and cons. Why did you select that particular product? Do you let your kids use it?

Cat

B
    B
    Great topic smile

Kindle
    LOVE IT!
    Just released a new version too.
    Can get a cheaper version without wireless for as little as $139
    I have the one with wireless.
    DH just bought the new version without wireless (he can buy books from his phone and have it sent to his kindle if he is in need of a book and isn't home to buy it.)
    I love that if you have more than one in a house (or registered under the same @mazon acct. you can share all books on up to 4 devices.)

My only con, which I am not sure if the other ones are this way or not, but it doesn't show page numbers because you can change font size etc. but it shows you percentage of book completed. I am very used to that now, but I was used to seeing page numbers. Now it doesn't bother me. I like the percentage completed.

Love the built in dictionary feature (great for kids who use it too).

I picked the kindle because at the time the only other competition was the sony reader and this had better reviews. I also like that the books come from amazon, not particularly an affiliated bookstore.

No glare on screen, not backlit like a computer. Very easy on eyes, like a book would be.

Can't live without it!

C
    C
    Well, I really wanted to get one device that had everything...Woohoo! Found it and love it! I got the cellphone Droid X that has a kindle right in it. Now I don't have to lug around a laptop, cellphone, kindle...Everything is right in one device and the screen is plenty big...Love my phone, love the kindle! smile

Val Offline
    I have a Kindle DX and am mostly happy with it. I like the larger screen size and being able to get a book immediately, for example. I can load PDFs onto my Kindle, which is great.

I (really) don't like the fact that the publishers are starting to increase prices for electronic editions of books. They all used to be around the $10 price point, but prices have been going up lately. I'm extremely hesitant to buy an electronic book that costs almost as much as hardcover. This problem is presumably not isolated to the Kindle.

Amazon could improve the UI.

I was thinking about getting an iPad for other stuff, and I played with one in Fry's last weekend. For me at least, navigation was awkward. Also, I don't know how fragile it is when dropped. iPods and iPhones are very fragile, so I'm reticent to trust an iPad.

Just my two cents!

Val

Interesting that you should post this topic since we have been debating this exact thing in our household. I have the IPad and I love it but I didn't buy it just for the reading function. I wanted a computer that I could also read on. My DD uses it as well but I have strict rules about her usage. She is not allowed to get up and walk around with it. If we need to move for any reason she is to give it to mommy and I will carry it where ever we are going. She accepts these rules with no issues because she has dropped her leapster numerous times. She loves all the applications we can download on it. Just the other night I downloaded a translator so I could help her read a library book she got from her school. I want to be able to pronounce the words properly. She can also watch movies on the Ipad. A nice bonus since I am looking to trade in my minivan and go with a more fun car but it won't have a dvd built in so when we do go on long trips she can always use the IPad or even the IPod touch.

My mom just got the new Kindle, literally 2 days ago. We considered the kindle and the nook. Both are in the same price range. Since the Kindle is on it's third generation they have really considered the layout and function of it and perfected it. The nook is close but I think they need some improvements and chances are the next version will address the issues. We got her the $139 model and it is WiFi. The higher price one is WiFi and 3G. Funny thing ... yesterday her Kindle locked up and wouldn't attach to the network and finally wouldn't shut down. We did a quick search and found that this is a bug with the new Kindle. We had to hard reset it a few times but finally got it back on. We called the tech support and they pushed a new software out to it. It is suppose to take care of the problem.

Really it depends on the individual and what they want from the device. I didn't want exclusive reading ability but when I do read a book on the IPad I enjoy it. My mom, however, finds the IPad too cumbersome and awkward. I do like that the IPad not only allows for ibooks but you can download apps for the nook and kindle and have access to all the major ebook distributors. While we were trying to work on her Kindle we thought we might have to send it back since it was not powering back up. She had just bought a book and was upset that she couldn't read it. So I gave her my IPad with a downloaded copy of her book. It made her even more thankful when her Kindle was fixed! She hated the weight of the IPad.

The other thing to consider is the way the device is lit. IPad is more like a computer screen and I certainly wouldn't find myself outside on a sunny day reading. Too much glare. With the nook and the kindle you can do this. But you certainly can not read the nook or the kindle at night without some form of light on. The IPad doesn't need additional light to read. I know the kindle has covers with built in book lights which solves this problem and we bought one for my mother.

A
    A
    We are in the middle of a long trip and got kindles for the two kids and ipads for the parents just before we left home. Kindle is way cheaper and for the kids, we like that it is strictly a reading device, so they are not tempted by other features when they are reading. We have mixed feelings about the convenience of downloading books instantly - it is awesome for traveling, especially since we don't speak the language here, but I don't like the one-click shopping which cannot be turned off. The kids have been admonished that they must have permission to purchase, but a required password would be much better. When we get back home, we'll probably go back to using the library most of the time, since the books are free there....

M
    M
    I have a droid x as well. Love it! Thanks for the tip about the kindle. I bought a Nook and wasn't happy with it. It is now sitting in my cupboard reset to default. It is waiting to be sold. I was looking for a functioning online source at a cheaper price, while my DS was at his activities, moreso than a book reader. I didn't like the small window on the bottom and I didn't like the dark screen, as my eyes are getting old - it was straining to see the page. I was looking for more online use though; and by the time I paid for the Nook, cover, taxes, etc. I could have bought an ipad, which still may happen once I sell the nook. It was one day over my two week trial return date. frown

B
    B
    To turn the instant click function off on the kindle, do it from your main amazon account. that way you can edit your preferences (I believe so it's not on one click purchasing.)

I agree, it depends on what your needs are as to what device would be best. I only wanted the ereader, and I too, thought the Ipad was too bulky, big, and awkward. You are right, about the new versions of the kindle being 3G etc. I forgot what the diff. was. Thanks for correcting that wink

Originally Posted by amylou
    We are in the middle of a long trip and got kindles for the two kids and ipads for the parents just before we left home. Kindle is way cheaper and for the kids, we like that it is strictly a reading device, so they are not tempted by other features when they are reading. We have mixed feelings about the convenience of downloading books instantly - it is awesome for traveling, especially since we don't speak the language here, but I don't like the one-click shopping which cannot be turned off. The kids have been admonished that they must have permission to purchase, but a required password would be much better. When we get back home, we'll probably go back to using the library most of the time, since the books are free there....

Great idea! When DD is older I will definitely consider getting her a kindle or nook.

DH has a Droid and I have a Kindle. For pure reading the Kindle is far superior. My eyes KILL me after reading anything on the Droid (and I read an insane amount of books). The Kindle also has a big advantage in that you get free 3G abroad (very important since we travel internationally a lot!) whereas my husband's Droid only works in the US (ok, obviously, you still have the apps but no 3G).

We're actually considering buying DH a kindle too now that they are a lot cheaper because we always end up fighting over the kindle! laugh

I agree that it's annoying that the prices are going up but, honestly, I'd still prefer the electronic version so I can have easy access to them at all times. I do wish the interface was better, I hate that stupid joystick but I still love my kindle!

Oh, and I really, really, really wish they had more kids books on there!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM