Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #86744 10/06/10 11:33 AM
    K
    kjayne1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello,

I'm new to this but I think I may finally be in the right place. As introduction, when DS7 started 2nd grade this year, DH and I immediately noticed that his worksheets and assignments, esp math, were much too basic for him. He started asking me to create "harder equations" when he completed his math worksheets. Last Sunday he started writing "too easy" across the page. It broke my heart. It took him less than 2 minutes to read an assigned story. I didn't believe him when he finished it, so I made him read it again out loud and timed him!
    Up until now, we would tell the teachers "He knows adding and subtracting (and multiplication!); he knows how to read. He just doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself!" Now I think we may have been focusing on the wrong issue all along! I believed the other kids would catch up, and he would become more mature.
    He was tested a few weeks ago by the school as part of school-wide MAP testing. Our district's usual system (from what I understand at this point) is that MAP scores and a referral start the process for the talented and gifted program, but that usually starts at 3rd grade. I have an idea of where he scored, although his self-reporting can be unreliable. I *think* he had a 193 on reading, and a 207 on Math. From what I understand, reading is grade level, but math is at least a year ahead????
    After the MAP test, he suddenly has multiplication sheets to work on, and a referral form in his folder with a post-it to "fill out and return". That's all we've been told! We've requested a meeting with the teachers to go over the referral, find out any other options, and just for an explanation of what happens next besides a form! And, while I'm thrilled he has something different to work on, in a class of 30(!) I'm sure he is left to do this pretty much on his own.
    I've been trolling the boards and want to thank you for such a great and welcoming community. I've gotten some good ideas of how to approach this meeting. I'm starting with, "What do these scores show he needs next in school, and how do make sure he is going to have that? How do I get him coursework he is excited to learn (he loves math) and not simply practicing something that he has been doing for 3 years?"
    It's funny, and sad, that at age 3 in preschool, the teachers brought in the school district to evaluate him for ADHD or special needs! At 4, the pre-K teacher took pictures of how he would scrawl numbers and colors on the dry erase board during free time, like some kind of "beautiful mind" for pre-K. I am so relieved because I finally think we are on the right track.

I
    I
    A 207 RIT is above the 99% for beginning of 2nd grade and at 91% for beginning of 3rd grade. At the meeting, I would ask to have a copy of his MAP test report and ask the teacher how you can work together to help him achieve his MAP growth goals. For example his math growth goal should be ~10 points (see page 78). That makes it a specific, measurable goal and more likely to get attention.
    Good luck!
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

K
    kjayne1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Good point inky. I'll be sure to mention that. Measurable goals to make everyone accountable.

I'm playing scenarios in my head in advance of the meeting. Does everyone do this? I think they will want to stay with differentiation in the classroom - but with 30 kids, how much instruction will he get? I'm curious if there are peers for him to learn alongside in the classroom. Are there any other considerations I should be thinking of? Is 91% for beginning 3rd grade enough of a jump to consider moving him to 3rd grade math?

What is frustrating to me is that our district has these programs in place. It seems like it is taking a long time to apply them. I wouldn't even have a meeting if we hadn't asked for it. In the meantime, DS is asking and asking for harder problems. When he complained in the classroom, his teacher told him that the other kids need to catch up.

Originally Posted by kjayne1
    When he complained in the classroom, his teacher told him that the other kids need to catch up.

It sounds like your school system is 'of 2 minds' when it comes to meeting the needs of kids who already have mastered 'the basics.' The fact that they even use MAP testing, and then that they look at the results and made changes in his Math worksheets is a very positive sign. In some ways your district is far ahead of other districts.

Then there is your son's teacher's attitude. It is a lot to ask each teacher to teach such a diversity of readiness levels in a single classroom, and I like your idea of moving the child physically into a room where there will be 'enough' children at the same readiness level to justify teaching them. If the school balks about it - tell them what the teacher said above and see if they stand behind that perspective.

I would also see how quickly you can get yourself an appointment to visit the school and see what the 'gifted program' consists of. Gifted programing can vary from a classroom where each child works at their readiness level all day every day no matter how far 'ahead' they are, to 20 minutes of 'indoor camp' a week where the kids enjoy each other's company while solving Sokudo Puzzles.

The range in between is absolutely dazzling. So go observe and see what sort of gifted program is availible. If the gifted program has a 'math class' then perhaps that would be the best place for you son to do subject acceleration into.

If the school will tell you, ask 'how many other children in my son's current class are within 5 RIT points of my son's English and Math.' Then you can point out how fruitless it is to try to differentiate for just one child, if in fact, he is the only child in the classroom. What I like about RIT levels and MAP is that it's all about 'what does this child know and what are the next learning goals for this child.'

It take the questions of 'what is wrong with your school?' and 'who is smarter than who' and 'what did you do to make your kid so much smarter' totally off the table. Which is where they belong. The only thing that belongs on the table - in my opinion - is: What are the child's needs, including educational needs, what possible resources exist to meet those needs and how can we best connect the two.

In my observation, it doesn't have to be perfect, but every improvement at school makes a very large improvement in the child's overall daily life.

Welcome kjayne1! So very glad you found us!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    kjayne1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    The fact that they even use MAP testing, and then that they look at the results and made changes in his Math worksheets is a very positive sign. In some ways your district is far ahead of other districts.
    That's what I thought...but it is taking a long time, and non-communicative teachers are not easing my concerns...
    I would also see how quickly you can get yourself an appointment to visit the school and see what the 'gifted program' consists of.

I think this will be my next step. In a good news/bad news scenario, yes, we have a gifted and talented program. Bad news, it's been hit by budget cuts, and a single coordinator is at the school 1.5 days a week for the whole school. There is a TAG charter school in the district, but as far as I know, my son doesn't qualify. He would have to have 99% percentile Math RIT score and 95%+ reading RIT score. At this point, if they can meet his needs in math, that will work.
    If the school will tell you, ask 'how many other children in my son's current class are within 5 RIT points of my son's English and Math.' Then you can point out how fruitless it is to try to differentiate for just one child, if in fact, he is the only child in the classroom. What I like about RIT levels and MAP is that it's all about 'what does this child know and what are the next learning goals for this child.'

I will definitely use this question! Thanks!
    I am so glad I found all of YOU. I will let you know how it goes. It is so hard to wait another week before we even meet. Yes, I will see his scores, besides what he has told me himself...and it's nice to have concrete info. But what it comes down to is DS is ASKING for more challenging work...that's the part that is driving this forward.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent