Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
    It sounds to me like it not only didn't set her back, but may have set her forward a bit. Enough of these gradual steps and you may have a PG ultimate fighter on your hands.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    OP Offline
    LOL ... thanks lucounu. Here's to hoping.

F
    F
    Hi I remember when my oldest got bitten by one of the kids in the play group. She was soooo upset about it. It was on her finger and her finger had to be treated like royalty forever. I think it was also her first understanding that I could not protect her from everything and that someone who she liked could cause her pain and seemingly on purpose.

Sounds like your little one was a trooper and like the other poster said, proud of herself for handling it well.

Its a long car ride to the school when your called because they are hurt!

Sounds like DD did very well with the incident. I found that DS was the same way when the injury was accidental. There had been a series of incidents with DS and others with one kid where they were obviously not accidental and DS and other kids really behaved differently about it and the kid. And it took the school a very lo time to recognize the seriousness of the situation. So glad to hear you were pleased with the response.

Had to post this - no one else besides DH will get it!!

Week summary comes home from DS teacher, they are reading nice books, learning about expressing feelings and being friends - fabulous - last line - we also focused this week on letter recognition and number identification.

DS read the informational sheet to us!!!!

I think my tongue was bit clear through as i struggled not to laugh!

DeHe

OP Offline
    Flower: so true! Every obstacle imaginable was in my way yesterday. It took an extra 5 minutes for me to get there.

DeHe: love your story about your son reading the summary. Does his teacher even know he reads? DD is now proud of her reading and clearly tells her teacher about it. But it is usually in line with candy is for reading. Yep, stupid mommy came up with this brilliant idea that she can have 1 piece of candy after she reads a book. She loves it and is excited not only to finish a book but to get her candy, but now she tells her teacher that is what candy is for. Oops!

O my! How great that she understands the situation.

Our DD does like the new school, but this is her last week. She's been going to both - old school MWF afternoons and new school TTh all day.

The old school just admitted a 5 year old who only speaks Spanish - he's going to learn English in school. The teacher said she'd help DD pick up Spanish. I may approach her to do a separate Spanish class for DD and some other kids Whose moms are also interested.

The other nice thing is that DD's close riend in her old school started K but comes back on M and F because the teacher is her aunt. She is almost 6 and DD loves her.

I tried to add some tools of the Mind stuff to our morning, but it wasn't at all challenging for DD. Too easy! frown

DeHe #86760 10/06/10 03:47 PM
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    DS read the informational sheet to us!!!!

I think my tongue was bit clear through as i struggled not to laugh!

DeHe

Love it!

OP Offline
    I love that we have stumbled upon a school that doesn't frown upon advanced abilities.

DD brought home a library book this past week: half of it was in English and the other half was in Spanish. While I worked on plugging the Spanish sentence in to my translator so we could hear it; DD would read the English sentence to me. Then we would both go over the Spanish one. This little exercise made it apparent to me that DD is real close to reading Spanish but it certainly is not something I could teach her. So I mentioned that DD reads English and might be close to reading Spanish. No raised eyebrows on their end. The teacher is going to do some one on one time with her to help her read!

F
    F
    DeHe-Love that he read the information sheet!

Katelyn'sMom- Glad the school is working out for you! That is cool that she is going to read soon in Spanish.. You've influenced me to check out immersion pre-school when the time comes!

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM