Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Cecilia
    .Yesterday got a "parent grade acceleration checklist" in the mail from elementary principal
    That's so sweet! Yippee!

If the middle school can't give a textbook, can they give a selection of 'A' student work. AFterall - it isn't the reading that is hard - it's the writing. Plus when we see a rubric, we usually assume that the teacher wants something way more sophisticated than they do.

CFK makes some excellent points - it's hard to know if doing 9th grade English again 4 year later 'for credit' would be boring or not. It's hard to know anything with these kids.

Go Big Brother, too!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello everyone! Husband and I just got back from a successful meeting with the middle school principal. He went over the curriculum and provided even more textbooks. He stressed that learning in these grades (7-9th) was more than just reading from a textbook and taking the chapter test...A lot of hands-on field work and working within groups. When DS gets actively engaged in something of interest, it doesn't pose a problem. However, he can get "annoying" to others at times when he's not totally in love with whatever the topic is. That worries me, but after looking through the curriculum, I don't think that would be an issue, but who knows? Overall, the principal was very responsive and would suggest certain teachers. My next step is to send in to the elementary principal, the report/recommendations from SB5 assessment and "parent checklist" DS looked through the textbooks and seriously got tears in his eyes! He was so happy! I honestly believe that 8th grade should be no trouble, though the extra homework he's not used to, might be an issue. Question...Does the school have to provide the transportation between the schools? Thanks again for the support! Its been quite the journey, but I'm feeling better smile smile smile

DS looked through the textbooks and seriously got tears in his eyes! He was so happy! I honestly believe that 8th grade should be no trouble, though the extra homework he's not used to, might be an issue.

Awww that is so awesome! Love that story. 8th grade seems like a great place to start, and next year you can figure out next year, based on this year. The fact that the teachers would be handpicked is a wonderful wonderful thing.
    Do you paperwork and get this project rolling! Yippee!
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

How is the acceleration application going C?

C
    Cecilia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Good morning Grinity! Thanks for asking ... At least someone cares haha smile Well, yesterday spent the day copying five sets of SB5 report/recommendations and "helpful" papers on the benefits of acceleration... For elementary principal, completed the five pages of "parent checklist" with comments. It took a lot of thought choosing my words carefully, not using any "hot button" phrasing etc...Geez, how do you write all of the wonderful complexities of your sweet child down on paper??? Copied EPGY report, Duke TIP/Mensa/John Hopkins cogito involvements, blah blah blah...Ugh, after I finally completed, a huge headache followed Lol ... On our district website, I was able to look up the teachers and see on their teacher page what is expected of students, homework expectations...Studying that and the textbooks, I'm pretty convinced that DS can handle 8th/9th grade history, literature, and science, but I'm nervous. Today I'm hoping to see the 7th grade literature and science books...Before I put in that formal request, I want to be absolutely sure of my request, so I don't look like a complete airhead!...Wondering if I should just play it safe and go with 7th grade or really go for it??? I think headache is coming on again! Thoughts, wisdom??? Another thing, when I was looking at the middleschool schedule and his current elementary schedule, I don't believe that I can bulk all three classes together without him having to go back and forth twice each day between the schools (They are about 10 minutes away from each other) I'm not sure how to handle that either. When I look realistically at everything, the only subjects he would have left in 5th grade are art (probably should be accelerated in this too!!!), music (plays violin and piano, has read music since age 5) , gym, lunch, recess, and math. I look at what's left and laugh/cry. Do you know anything about schools being responsible for transportation between schools? I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. Of course I am willing to transport but it sure would be nice to have the option on cold days! Monday is my goal to hand in the stacks of paperwork to elementary principal smile smile smile

B
    B
    Cecelia, I believe the transportation issue is dependant on each individual district. I know here, they provided the busing, but that was because kids were bused in from multiple schools for the GT program which was housed at one school. Not sure how they would do that if there is only one child that needs transp. I would guess that would probably be up to you to make sure he is getting where he needs to be.

Well, yesterday spent the day copying five sets of SB5 report/recommendations and "helpful" papers on the benefits of acceleration

Oh goodness what a memory that brings back. I did my copying at Staples on their giant machines, and I paid the 75 cents to have each set made into a booklet. You should have SEEN some of the looks I got when I handed the booklet to various potential schools. A great conversation starter:

Hint to schools - "Oh, this binding should make it easier to get through this info, how thoughtful of you!" makes a better impression than "had it bound, did you?"

Here's some virtual giant heachace pills for that giant headache!
    ((sit very straight and proud at the edge of your chair. breath in very deeply and slowly through the nose. breath out all the way to tight abdominal muscles through the mouth. Repeat until headache clears or you head to the medicine cabinet for some real-time pills))

I like 8th grade for the whole day unless there is a whole team of fabulous 7th grade teacher and a super sweet cohort of 7th grade kids for him to join. I think it will be a bit easier on big brother if little brother takes a giant leap instead of 'just one' grade over, but seems like big brother is a champ anyway. When it comes down to it, it's the teachers and the students who make the difference. Different cohorts of kids seem to have a character all their own.

Thanks for doing all this legwork. You are a good momma.
    Monday is the day! Is there a special treat you can plan for later Monday morning?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs